Monster Bites for #SundaySupper aka the ugliest cake pops ever!

cake pps

Hi folks.

Apologies are in order.

Apologies for what you are about to see.

Apologies for what you’ve already seen!

cake pops

I can explain. Really.

Here’s my explanation..

I suck at making cake pops.

So there you have it.

cake pops

This is my first go at them. I was so excited. I made them by hand, no fancy machine here. That’s a story for another day.

I mixed them up and coated them with the first coat. Then put on the second coat. And then realized that it was appropriate that these are called monster bites cuz this is, for sure, a horror show.  A cautionary tale for anyone wanting to make cake pops. I, my friends, am a cake pop catastrophe story. It’s okay. No tears. I’ll be okay. Luckily I have caramel apples (coming soon) and monster fudge to cushion the blow to my ego. Nothing like candy to soothe a fragile ego.

So tip #1 for those making cake pops. Take a class. Seriously people. You’ve been warned.

Tip #2 is don’t make huge ones. Seriously, who wants to bite into a cake pop the size of their melon.

Tip #3 is melt your candy properly. No matter what the bag says I found trying to reheat them did not work. The bag is wrong. Or my microwave is defective.

Tip #4 is make sure you plan ahead to pop them in the fridge or freezer at various stages of making them. Cuz getting candy on the fridge ain’t purty! Or easy to clean!

Tip #5 is go easy on the frosting to adhere stuff to the pops. Seriously mine look like a 2-year-old made them. Apparently finesse is not my strong suit.

Tip # 6 is let someone else make the dang things. Seriously people, you can order them online and just pretend you made them. I’m doing that next year!

cake pops

Monster Bites

Recipe Type: dessert, cake pops
Author: Cravings of a Lunatic
Totally ugly cake pops, not gonna lie. But tasty!
  • 1/2 batch of brownies, cooked and crumbled
  • 1/2 can of store bought icing
  • White candy melts
  • Edible eyeballs
  • Confetti candies
  • Black gel icing
  • Red gel icing
  1. Take your brownies and crumble them into bits.
  2. Take about 1/2 the amount of icing and start mashing it into the brownies with a spoon. Add more icing till you get the desired consistency to form a ball.
  3. Form a ball, a small one people.
  4. Stick a cake pop-y thing into it.
  5. Pop it in the freezer to set.
  6. Take it out.
  7. Melt about 1/4 of your candy melts. Check every 30 seconds so you don’t over do it.
  8. Dunk the pop about 1/3 of the way into it.
  9. Pop back in fridge or freezer to set.
  10. Remove again.
  11. Melt the rest of your candy melts, checking every 30 seconds cuz they melt quick.
  12. Dunk the rest of the cake pop into it and swirl.
  13. Tap the excess gently.
  14. Pop in the fridge or freezer to set.
  15. Take out and decorate. Ugly like.
  16. Serve with a big old I made ugly monster bite cake pops smile.

cake pops

If you’re looking for a brownie recipe you should totally check out my Best Brownies in the World. They are amazing. <shameless plug

So for our Sunday Supper theme this week it’s Trick or Treat Halloween Party. Our lovely host this week is Leslie Harris de Limon from La Cocina de Leslie. Huge thanks to Leslie for pulling off this spooktacular event. As always a huge thank you to our fearless Sunday Supper leader, Isabel Foodie of Family Foodie.

For more Halloween recipe ideas, be sure to check out the rest of the #SundaySupper line-up:

Bewitching Brews

Ghoulish Gruel:

Haunted Snacks:

Spooky Sweets:

Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day, this Sunday (October 28th) during #SundaySupper.  We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about all things Halloween.  All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us throughTweetChat.

We’d also love to feature your favorite Halloween recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers, too.

Thanks so much for stopping in. Heed my warnings people, cake pops are for pros like Bakerella. Now that is how you do cake pops folks. None of this ugly stuff I got going on over here. I shall attempt them again. Once my ego recovers.

Genesis Theme Framework for WordPress

Comments

• Kim Bee says

Thank you so much Suzanne. I do think the jagged edges work for the monsters. Had these of been princesses this would have gone badly!

• Kim Bee says

Thanks Ramona. It was so much fun to do. I think I’ll invest in a cake pop maker for next time. They sure are fun to make.

• Kim Bee says

Hey gorgeous. Thanks so much. I am very critical of myself when it comes to baking. I’ve decided to take a class, starts this week. It’s the Wilton decorating series. Hopefully it helps, lol. I am just running out to see a flick but I will hop over tonight and link up.

Hope you are well my dear. We need to catch up. xx

• Kim Bee says

Awe thanks Renee. You are always so sweet. I had fun with them even though they are a tad frustrating to make. They taste amazing. I mean brownies and icing covered in candy, how can you go wrong right.

• Kim Bee says

Lol, thanks Kayle. I recommend buying the machine. I think I’m going to. But there is something seriously fun about making them with your hands and getting all dirty. I can’t believe it took me this long to make cake pops. They aren’t popular where I live. Never see them anywhere.

Hey Sistah:

I saw the sneaky peek of yours and they were way nicer than mine. They’re all perfect like. And you even took the time to style. I need to up my game to keep up with your cake pop skillz.

Love, Moi

ps you are awesomer!

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much. I think investing in a cake pop maker would be good. I think they’re like $20 and my hunch is they work way better.

I dunno – I think they look kinda cute! And very Halloween appropriate! These look like fun, and really I do rather like the way they look. I’ve never made these, and trust me, you don’t want to see what I’d come up with. I don’t have the decorating gene. Fun post – thanks.

• Kim Bee says

You are too funny. I do not have the decorating gene. I want to have the decorating gene. But it just doesn’t exist in this dojo. I am taking the plunge this week and taking some classes through Wilton. I am going to a conference where we get to meet and decorate with Duff so I need to up my game so I don’t look like a total spaz. It’s bad enough I act like a total spaz!

Thank you!

Oh, KimB, your horror show comment made me spit out my tea. NO WAY…monsters should not have perfectly shaped, symmetrical heads for Pete’s sake…these are wonderful! Happy Halloween!

• Kim Bee says

Lol I am to make computers dirty all across the land. One more checked off. You are too kind. I am so excited to do more cake pops. I even bought a maker.

Ok – first: I actually think these are ADORABLE!

Second: you are NOT alone with cake pop malfunctions. I tried to make cake balls once before, and they absolutely did not turn out well. I followed the instructions perfectly, but did they turn out symmetrical? Nope. Did the chocolate go on smoothly? Nope. My balls were more like shapeless blobs. But they tasted AWESOME, so thankfully no one really cared in the end…but goodness, I don’t think I’ll ever attempt them again!!!

Thanks Katie.

I am so happy to hear I’m not the only one who has had a pop disaster. They are not easy to master. I ended up buying a cake pop maker so I can have another go at them. Round two. lol

• Kim Bee says

Thanks Brianne. And lol, I scared myself to try them again. I ran out and bought a cake pop maker to see if it helps.

I think they turned out perfect. I make my cake pops by hand, and it is hard to make them uniform but personally I think it gives them a more homemade look which I prefer.

• Kim Bee says

I admire anyone who can make these by hand. They sure are tricky to make. I bought a cake pop maker this week, lol.

• Kim Bee says

I think the brownie ones are amazing. The good thing about cake pops is they may look ugly but they taste incredible.

I think you did an amazing job on these cake pops; they’re super cute! I made them one time for a baby shower, and I’ll never make them again. They were extremely time consuming. If you do decide to make them again, heat the chocolate over a double boiler and add a bit of shortening (a trick I learned from my grandmother). It helps thin out the chocolate for easy coating.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Jennie. They really are a pain in the rump. I think you have to have the knack and love for them or they just aren’t worth it. I will try your shortening trick cuz I just bought a cake pop maker. I will not lose to cake pops. lol

Some of the best inventions were because of what people thought was a mistake. I think you made some fantastic monsters here – very, very monster looking :-). My solution is to just buy them. I just know I don’t have the patience. Hats off to you for making these little guys!!

I don’t think they look *that* bad. They are monsters; therefore they don’t need to have perfectly round heads. You did a fine job! Seriously :)

OK, Kim…we gotta have a talk. Seriously…if you didn’t say that these would be bad, I wouldn’t have EVER thought that. Or maybe you are just trying to be funny? But you gotta know these look majorly cute…um, I mean scary. I think that Halloween might just be the perfect time for someone to try making cake pops…even if they think they messed them up, chances are they will look pretty cool.

• Kim Bee says

I so wished they had turned out perfectly round. But they are so hard to make. I am determined to have another go at them.

OMG, I love these! For someone who sucks at making cake pops, these look pretty damn good! :) I love how you said “decorate. Ugly like.” Awesome. These look fantastic and perfect for a Halloween party! love it!

I love your monster bites! They are so ugly they are cute (it’s also what people tend to say about my pug!) I also feel your cake pop making pain, these things are hard!

Kim, the irregularity of the shapes make these monster cake pops extra special. Whoever saw a perfectly shaped round monster in their life. Not me. I love the little faces you made on them too. Too cute!

• Kim Bee says

Your comment had me in hysterics. I’m just picturing you snapping your finger and say it like whatevs. Oh man, I need sleep. Thanks for the giggle and the compliment. xx