Fried Smashed Potatoes with Onions and Meyer Lemon Dressing

Fried Smashed Potatoes with Meyer Lemon DressingMade you look didn’t I? I mean who wouldn’t. Look at these freaking potatoes. You take baby potatoes, you boil them, then fry them in a cast iron pan in olive oil and onions. Then you drizzle them with a meyer lemon dressing that will rock your world. No lie. These potatoes are wicked good. And wildly addictive. I dare you to try to eat just one serving. You will not be able to. I guarantee it!

You all know I love me some potatoes, evidenced by my rock star Aerosmith Potatoes. I could eat potatoes morning, noon and night. And sometimes do.

So if you’re a potato loving, carb eating freak like me you must try these potatoes out for yourself. I saw a recipe for them in Giada’s cookbook, Weeknights with Giada and just had to put my own twist on them. I didn’t change much, just added some onions, and changed up some herbs. That’s what I love so much about cooking. You can get inspired by anything, then you take it and tweak it to your own taste. It’s a cool thing. Never be afraid to play and experiment. Be adventurous, mix it up and make it your own way.

Fried Smashed Potatoes with Meyer Lemon Dressing

Fried Smashed Potatoes with Onions and Meyer Lemon Dressing

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: Serves 4

Fried Smashed Potatoes with Onions and Meyer Lemon Dressing

Amazing smashed potato recipe that's fried in onions, then drizzled with Meyer Lemon Dressing!

For the Potatoes:
  • 3 lbs of baby potatoes
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 cup of onions, slivered on a mandolin
  • 1 tablespoon of parsley
  • For the Dressing:
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoon meyer lemon juice (regular is fine)
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • For the Garnish:
  • Zest of 1 to 2 meyer lemons

For the Potatoes:
  • Use a large pot, pop in the potatoes and cover with water. Place on stove and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes, they should be fork tender.
  • Remove and drain potatoes.
  • Allow to dry for about 5 to 8 minutes.
  • Take your palm and gently press down on the potatoes to break the skin and flatten them a bit.
  • Place a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and onions. Cook the onions for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the start to soften. You can remove the onions and set aside.
  • Now place the potatoes in the pan, you'll likely do about 2 or 3 batches depending on the size of your skillet. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes on each side. They should start to turn brown and soften up some more.
  • Once you get all the batches down, pop them all back in the skillet with the onions and cook over medium low heat for about 2 minutes to just warm everything back up.
  • Remove and place in a bowl.
  • Sprinkle with parsley.
  • For the Dressing:
  • In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix the ingredients together and whisk till thoroughly combined.
  • Pour over potatoes.
  • Garnish with the zest of a meyer lemon or two.
  • Serve with a big old I cannot eat one serving smile!

Recipe slightly adapted from Giada's Fried Smashed Potatoes with Lemon

My recipe for Meyer Lemon Salt would be lovely sprinkled over this dish!

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Fried Smashed Potatoes with Meyer Lemon Dressing Seriously yummy potatoes. Sure hope you try them. They are so amazingly good. I love the dressing over top. And look how pretty the meyer lemon zest looks. Functional and pretty, like any good garnish if you ask me.

Meyer Lemon Parfaits by Cravings of a Lunatic

More Meyer Lemon Recipes from yours truly:

Meyer Lemon Parfaits (pictured above)

Meyer Lemon Salt

Aerosmith Potatoes with Meyer Lemon & Garlic Salt

Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches

Mini Meyer Lemon Pies

Meyer Lemon Cream Cheese Candies

Mini Meyer Lemon Meringue Tarts

Meyer Lemon Sugar

Up next:

Meyer Lemon & Blueberry Bars

Comments

Kimberly P. says:

Seriously??? These look AMAZING! I am at a freezing cold campsite on the coastline of OR dreaming I was at home to make these. Thanks, yet again, for sharing an incredible dish.

• 2
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Awe thanks so much Kimberly. I hope you’re all warmed up now and eating these little bad boys. Thanks for reading. Love hearing from folks.

Kim, I’m coming over right now to eat a big bowl of these taters!

Oooh, those are lovely! I still have one Meyer lemon left and, as of this very minute, it has this recipe written all over it. Delicious!
    P.S. I love that bowl!

• 6
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Omg this recipe is my fave new recipe right now. They are so good. I mean eat ten platefuls good. You must try these.

Me too. I got it on our annual trek to St Jacobs last summer.

I love these potatoes! I want to eat them right now.

I’m with you on potatoes – I could eat them every day. I honestly prefer them over rice or pasta. I love the combo of potato and onion too. Then you go adding that extra “oomph” with the meyer lemon and wow! Great recipe.

Ahhhhhhh these potatoesss

I want them now. For breakfast. Yes.

LS Gourmet says:

Words fail me – I’m drooling over the keyboard and planning dinner tomorrow night around these potatoes.

Girl, aren’t you on a Meyer Lemon roll?! Wow! These really look delicious!

WOW!!! Fabulous!!
    I make something similar to this on the grill. I slice raw potatoes, fairly thick and also
    slice some onions throw in some olive oil and butter, some seasoned salt and wrap in foil and bbq on the grill. About an hour, 1/2 hr then flip over. They get alittle char on them and are oh so good also.

Wow, I love that combination of lemon and potatoes. I’m in for a big fat bowl full!!

Great looking potatoes! Love the idea of Meyer lemon dressing on these – I gotta try that out. Truly good stuff – thanks.

Sending these to my friend- we were just talking about smashed potatoes! These look delish!

It is late at night and now I want, no I NEED potatoes. Darn you! ;)

These look absolutely amazing!!!!

So awesome with the use of Meyer Lemons. I have made red potatoes with zest before and it is such a great flavor but I am going to try with my Meyer Lemons next time!! Thanks for this!

They looks incredible! I am drooling early in the morning and wish to have some right now…pictures are so delicious-just beautiful!

Served these tonight with flathead fillets. Perfect! Thank you for the lovely recipe.

• 29
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Yah, so glad you liked them. I am addicted to them now. Just so fun and flavourful. Perfect side for flathead fillets. Thanks for letting me know how they turned out. xx

I made these tonight with the “man-pleasing chicken” recipe from Pinterest. Even though I had to substitute rosemary because my basil went bad, they were still so delicious and my 7-yr-old was sad he missed out on smashing the potatoes with me. My kiddos declared this a “make-it-again” recipe. Thanks!

• 31
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Yeah, always happy to hear that. I made two kinds on our Canadian Thanksgiving. I did a version with smoked paprika. Seriously yummy, likely too much heat for young hooligans though. I am so thrilled the kiddos loved them.

OMG yum!!! A friend of mine has a potato farm and dropped off about 50 lbs of potatoes for us, so I need to use them. Some of them are definitely being used to make this! Pinned.