Have I told you how much I love Meyer Lemons?
I really, really do…
They are natures little miracle.
I realize that’s pushing the envelope a bit, but seriously have you ever tried them?
Like nature’s candy.
Sweet yet tart, I’m not even sure how that’s possible, but it’s totally true when it comes to meyer lemons.
I was on a meyer lemon kick awhile ago, then it crossed over into a serious obsession. I found a couple of bags in Toronto while visiting Izz from Crumb. Then hubs picked up a couple of bags on his way home from being out-of-town. Then hubs found 3 more bags at a local market in the city. He’s feeding my obsession. Never a good thing.
It did however fit right in with this week’s Sunday Supper theme, which is Citrus. I love all things citrus. Honestly I can scarf three oranges during a flick. Some people scarf popcorn, Kim scarfs oranges, one right after another. I love satsumas, the ultimate orange in my book. But honestly I’ll eat any orange. Or use any type of lemon in a recipe. I love grapefruit too, although I don’t eat them that often. I tend to think of grapefruit as a morning thing, and you all know me and breakfast don’t get along very well. Unless there’s Mini Meyer Lemon Pies in the house. Then it’s dessert for breakfast for days. Or until the Meyer Lemon Pies are all gone. It’s how I roll.
- 5 large egg yolks
- Zest and juice of 4 meyer lemons
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup butter cut into small pieces
- 12 pre-packaged mini pie shells cooked according to directions (you can make your own but I was lazy this weekend)
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
In a large saucepan, combine the ingredients and cook over a medium low heat.
Cook until the mixture starts to boil (not a hard boil, go easy so you don't burn it), then continue to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, whisking constantly as the mixture thickens.
Once the mixture can coat the back of the spoon, remove from heat, continue to whisk to make sure the mixture is smooth.
Strain the curd into a bowl or glass jar.
Pour into prepared mini pie shells.
Pop in the fridge to allow the curd to set up.
Top with whipping cream. (I hate meringue)
Serve with a big old Meyer Lemon smile!
Make sure you stop by all the Sunday Supper crew’s posts to see what they whipped up for you. You will love every single recipe. Thanks to our fearless leader, Isabel of Family Foodie. Also a huge thank you to our hostess this week, Jen of Juanita’s Cocina.
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Blood Orange Sorbet from My Cute Bride
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter today to talk all about citrus recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
I love Meyer Lemons so much I’ll be having 2 straight weeks of Meyer Lemon Recipes. It’s Meyer Lemon Madness from Sunday April 7th to Saturday April 20th. I can’t wait to share lots of wonderful lemony recipes with you.
Hoppy Easter Everyone!
Toodles and smoochies! xx