Peach Cobbler

Comfort food at it’s finest. Homemade Peach Cobbler with Roasted Saigon Cinnamon, and Nutmeg in each layer. Seriously delicious and addictive. You’re going to want to try this one as soon as possible!

Peach Cobbler | cravingsofalunatic.com | #peach #dessert #fruit

Peach cobbler is one of my favourite desserts in the world. I cannot get enough of it during peach season. It’s just such comfort food to me. It’s something I’ve been making since I was a teenager.

I make lots of versions of peach cobbler but this one is my favourite. It’s the one I make most often. So you think I’d remember to put it in the right size pan. Yeah, not so much. This is what happens when you bake while you’re sick.

I usually double the batch and bake it in a 9 x 13 pan. I sort of forgot to double the ingredients. My bad. We’ll blame the headache that tortured me for 5 days.

While I was suffering I also got the sudden urge to make mini peach pies. Now I’ve been baking peach pies for about, oh, 30+ years. I’ve been baking all kinds of things for over 30+ years. So you think I could tell the difference between the mason jar with the salt in it from the mason jar with the sugar in it. Yeah, not so much. Apparently baking while ill is NOT a good idea. Live in learn. I took one bite to taste them and got the salt bomb of a lifetime. Let’s just say that does not help a gal when she already feels sick. Goodness, it was nasty.

So the moral of the story?

Make lots of peach things while they are in season.

Don’t get sick.

Put BIG labels on your salt and sugar jars.

Did I mention making lots of peach things while they are in season?

Peach Cobbler | cravingsofalunatic.com | #peach #dessert #fruit

Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!

Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | G+ | Kiss My Smoke

Peach Cobbler

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: One 8 x 8 pan

Serving Size: Depends how hungry you are!

Comfort food at it's finest. Homemade Peach Cobbler with Roasted Saigon Cinnamon, and Nutmeg in each layer. Seriously delicious and addictive. You're going to want to try this one as soon as possible!

For the peach mixture:
  • 4 cups peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons corn starch
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I like fresh lemon juice)
  • 1/2 teaspoon roasted saigon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • For the dough:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon roasted saigon cinnamon
  • Dash of nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Additional topping:
  • Roasted saigon cinnamon (to taste)
  • Nutmeg (to taste)

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  • For the peach mixture:
  • In a large saucepan combine the peaches, sugar, brown sugar, corn starch, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring mixture to a boil while stirring occasionally. Cook for about 1 to 2 more minutes so the mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Pour into a 2 quart/8 x 8 inch dish that's been sprayed with non stick spray.
  • For the dough:
  • In a medium sized bowl cut the butter into the flour. Add the brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Continue to cut the butter into the flour. It should resemble find crumbs.
  • Now add the milk and mix well.
  • Drop the mixture over top of the cooked peach mixture. Drop in small clumps scattered about. It looks more rustic if you don't over-think it.
  • Additional topping:
  • If you are a cinnamon and nutmeg nut like me you can sprinkle more of it over top of the dough before popping it in the oven. It tastes amazing and looks pretty. Just sprinkle up high so it sprinkles thinly and you don't over-do it. I tend to hold the spices about 6 top 8 inches over the pan to make sure it's a light sprinkling.
  • Putting it together:
  • Pop the casserole dish in the oven and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • Can be served hot on its own, or top it with whipping cream, or ice cream.
  • Serve with a big old peachy keen smile.

You can totally dial back the cinnamon if you want. You can also use regular cinnamon instead of roasted saigon cinnamon. If you don't like nutmeg just omit it. Easy peasy.

Recipe slightly adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook (my favourite cookbook in the world)

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Peach Cobbler | cravingsofalunatic.com | #peach #dessert #fruit

Does anyone else have an old copy of Betty Crocker’s Cookbook? I’m on my second copy, the first was unreadable from dripping food all over it. I am a messy cook. I have a fifth edition, not even sure if they sell it any more. I learned so many cooking methods from this cookbook. It was my go to guide when I was young and learning to cook. Every time I make cobbler I pull it out and giggle over all the splashes on the pages. It’s a little piece of nostalgia and a throwback to my younger years. Plus the cobbler recipe kicks butt.

Peach Cobbler | cravingsofalunatic.com | #peach #dessert #fruit

Some other great peach recipes:

Lightened Up Enchiladas with Quinoa, Chicken, and Peach Salsa | Cravings of a Lunatic | #peach #enchiladas #fusionfood #quinoa #healthyLightened Up Enchiladas with Quinoa, Chicken and Peach Salsa

Peach Salsa | Cravings of a Lunatic | #peach #fruit #salsaPeach Salsa

Grilled Stone Fruit Shortcakes | Cravings of a Lunatic | #stonefruit #peaches #dessertGrilled Stone Fruit Shortcakes

Grilled Mahi Mahi with Peach and Pink Grapefruit Salsa  | kissmysmoke.com | #grill #bbq #fish #salsa #recipeGrilled Mahi-Mahi with Peach and Pink Grapefruit Salsa

Linked to:

Six Sisters Stuff

Chocolate, Chocolate and More

Will Cook for Smiles

Buns in my Oven

The Country Cook

Comments

Peach cobbler is absolutely the most delicious comfort food dessert ever my friend :D
    I love the sweetness and soft peach flavour!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

G’day Kim! I LOVE peach cobbler true!
    I have made fond childhood memories and your photos brought those back today! Thank you!
    I also had never heard of Roasted Saigon Cinnamon and am curious how it differs from regular cinnamon and yes am Googling lol, but haven’t quite got an exact answer YET! :)
    Cheers! Joanne

• 4
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I have such a weakness for cobbler. Something I used to make for my dad a lot so it definitely makes me nostalgic.

It’s a more intense flavour. The rumour is it is “true” cinnamon, more pure. But from personal experience I find it bolder, stronger and more intense than regular cinnamon. It seems to hold the taste better than regular cinnamon. I like both so I keep both in my pantry but saigon wins 99% of the time. I only use regular when I was a subtle taste of cinnamon. We’re huge cinnamon fans so I also keep sticks on hand. lol

Oh dear… I guess this is why I cook with kosher salt – so much easier to tell apart from the sugar. (Well, that and the fact that I store salt and sugar in very different containers, just to be extra-sure!)
    And hurray for having enough peaches left over to make a peach cobbler and save the day. :)

• 6
      Kim Beaulieu says:

What is sad is it was coarse salt, but I didn’t even pay attention. I just dumped it from the jar. I swear being sick is horrible. I’ve never made that mistake before. I usually use coarse, I love sea salt and I use pink salt a ton. So I have no idea how I didn’t notice which one I grabbed. Took hours to get the taste out of my mouth. I would think it was gone and it would creep back up. Lol! Quite the experience. I think I had the huge salt thing set out cuz I’m mixing vanilla salts this weekend so I just was not thinking. Silly.

I bought so many peaches in St Jacobs it was ridonkulous. I came home with enough for the whole town.

Any cobbler is great, but I think peach is the best one of all. Yours looks fab! Too bad about that salt and sugar thing – I’ve done that before! Now I store them in two quite different looking containers. ;-)

• 8
      Kim Beaulieu says:

It really is. I cannot help myself, every time someone asks for cobbler this one makes an appearance. It’s just so good.

I really should try the different container thing. I use giant mason jars. But I keep tons of salt on hand because I am always mixing up batches of vanilla salt for people. I need to stop doing that and put it in a smaller, visibly different jar. Lol! Serious salty peach bombs.

Late at night, when everyone’s asleep and I’m relaxing in front of the telly,
    THIS is what I want to eat!

Nice recipe. Thanks Kim

Oh i do enjoy me some peach cobbler. whenever i try to double recipes i tend to double some ingredients and others not so much. it never ends well. i hope you feel beter.

• 15
      Kim Beaulieu says:

This is such a great recipe, always my go to for cobbler.

This one double beautifully. I have a brownie one that does as well. But fudge I never double because it always goes awry so I feel you on that one.

I rarely make a cobbler – always a crisp. I need to change this when peaches ripen down here. Yum.

• 17
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I love crisps too. What’s weird is when I think crisp I always think apple. When I think cobbler it’s always peach. Funny how that happens. You definitely need to try it. It’s really good with chopped pistachios in it too. You know me and my pistachio obsession.

My all-time favorite fruit pie is peach, so of course I can’t wait to try this. When I make cobbler it is usually a knock-off of my mom’s blackberry cobbler. I am sure it is not the one from the Betty Crocker Cookbook, even though she had it and so do I. Her cobbler topping was more like her biscuits or dumplings. I think my Better Crocker Cookbook is a 1st edition. I lived in it for years, so mine is also full of bits of food, and so was my mom’s which my daughter now has.

• 19
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Me too. I love peach pie.

I love the biscuit type cobblers too, they are lovely.

I had a first I had to get rid off. I destroyed it with my messiness. I swore I’d get better but it just never happens. lol

Peach cobbler really is comfort food! I can remember making it with my dad growing up with fresh peaches from a tree we had growing in our yard. I miss that tree and making it with him. This is a wonderful recipe!

• 21
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Awe, that is such a sweet memory Kate. I love that. Thanks for sharing.

I think this is my favourite cobbler of all time. I’ve tried so many but I always default to this one.

Love all things peach! ewww for the salt mistake haha, but YAY for awesome peach cobbler (with sugar! ) haha

• 23
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Me too. It’s my favourite fruit, besides cherries. So good.

I swear I must have been on serious drugs the day I did it. I cannot believe I mixed them up. Salty treats not good when you’re recovering from the flu. I just kept brushing my teeth and gargling to try to get rid of it. Lol!

Oh, you silly lady! Salt? It must have been disgusting. I am sorry to hear about your headache. I have been having physio on my stiff neck (from spending too much time in front of the computer) and my regular headaches have all but disappeared. But there are as many causes of headaches as there are stars in the sky. I hope it has gone now.

Peach cobbler yum. I had to giggle a little about the salt bomb…. that’s so like me. :) Sorry that happened though…

I discovered cobblers when I started reading food blogs… I only had crisps growing up! I still love crisps more but do enjoy cobbler from time to time :) Sometimes I find it bland but the spices in your dough and topping make me think I would definitely love this one!

The salsa and mahi mahi are on my list of things that I really really want my other half to make for me! I’ll clean the house and everything and I’ll leave these posts open. Gotta have it. I’ll eat this cobbler while he is busy cooking away. (Next week of course!)

I hope you are feeling absolutely better and having a really good start to your week!

I might have to make this (or a gluten free-ish version) because I LOVE peaches and I just got a whole bag of them at the farmers market :)

Mmm, I DO love a good peach cobbler! Classic comfort dishes can never get too old :)