A wonderful and healthy way to get your BBQ on! Grilled peaches, nectarines, plum, apricots and cherries piled on angel food cake and topped with whipped cream, cinnamon and nutmeg. You have to try this one!
I received an email awhile back letting me know that June 23rd was National BBQ Day. I had no idea. So being the kind of gal who loves to grill I knew I had to participate in this fun event.
Then I pinched a nerve in my neck. Yup, that’s me. Either falling down or something to that effect. Then mini-me’s achilles injury reared its ugly head again. So it’s been an interesting week here at the Bee household.
Never one to miss an opportunity to grill I decided to come up with something easy to do that would not have me carving up meat for ages or standing over the grill for too long. This is what I dreamed up.
Quick, easy, and let’s just say a monkey could do this dish. Seriously! If you don’t believe me borrow a monkey and see if he can do it. I bet he can. I have that much faith in the monkey can do it theory. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
So gorgeous, and so tasty. Honestly, you really need to head outside and grill this up immediately. It’s so easy to make and it will quickly become one of your favourite desserts.
I grill so much in the summer. I prefer to man the grill here. Hubs just doesn’t pay enough attention. He’s always wandering off watering plants or talking to neighbours.
Next thing you know the food, grill, and house are on fire and he’s still chatting up an unsuspecting neighbour. Then I’m running outside turning on the hose while tripping over my own feet trying to put it out.
It just seemed easier to take away his BBQ tools and take over the grill. Plus I just like playing with fire. Not gonna lie!
About 4 or 5 times a week I’m out there during the summer, cooking a storm. I love grilled steak. I love grilled chicken. I love grilled fish. I love grilled potatoes. I love grilled veggies. I love grilled fruit. So basically I love everything grilled.
It just makes me happy to get my grill on. And I have to say things like this recipe here just take me to my extra special happy place. If you haven’t had fruit on the grill you have not lived. Seriously! It will change your life.
This one is super easy to make. Fruit can be done simply and quickly on the grill. Try to pick your fruit so it’s not too hard, not too soft, just right. I know right, I sound like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears or something. I am a blonde so I guess it’s fitting.
Anyhow, you don’t want it too soft otherwise it will turn to mush. You want it to feel soft but not squishy when you pick your fruit out.
If it feels like an actual stone put it back. These may technically be stone fruits but you don’t want them hard as a stone when you buy them, trust Lunie on this one.
So go to the market, pick out perfect peaches, plump plums, nice nectarines, appealing apricots and cheery cherries. You will thank me later.
Make sure your grill is clean. Scrub the bejesus out of it before you do this. You do not want any steak bits or onion bits on your fruit. Give it a good clean and life will be peachy, literally. It will also be a bowl of cherries, literally.
So get to scrubbing, then get to the market, then get to grilling, then get to thanking me. Bags of money totally acceptable. I mean after all, I changed your life and everything.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
Stone Fruit Shortcakes
- 2 peaches cut in half and pit removed
- 1 nectarine cut in half and pit removed
- 1 plum cut in half and pit removed
- 2 apricots cut in half and pit removed
- 24 cherries cut in half and pit removed
- 1 satsuma orange juiced
- 2 cups store bought angel food cake cut into cubes
- 1 cup cool whip
- Cinnamon to taste
- Nutmeg to taste
- Preheat your grill.
- Cut up your fruit. Place in a bowl. Squeeze orange juice over top. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut up your cake and set aside.
- Turn one side of your grill off so if anything cooks too quickly you have somewhere to move it.
- Turn the other side down to a low heat.
- Place peaches and nectarines on first. They seem to take the longest. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Now add your plums and apricots. Cook everything for a couple more minutes.
- Flip everything over.
- Add your cherries, I had mine on a grill pan used for veggies so they don't fall through.
- Cook for about 2 to 4 minutes more. Move anything you that is cooking more quickly off to the side you turned off.
- Once everything is softening you can remove it.
- Cut the fruit up a bit.
- Place angel food cake in bowls first.
- Spread fruit over top of the cake.
- Now add a dollop of cool whip on each.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. I have them in grinders so they are easier to control how much comes out.
- Serve with a big old sweet monkey smile!
See! Easy peasy. A monkey could totally do this. Now go get your grill on. Go. Do it. Now!
I am off to ice my neck. Hope to see you tomorrow. If not stay tuned on Monday for a Shake recipe that will blow your mind. And your monkey’s too.
Toodles and smoochies! xx