Sloppy Joe Casserole

This is an easy to make Sloppy Joe Casserole that is perfect for a busy family on the go! If you love sloppy joes, and who doesn’t, this is a way to make them fast!

The thing I like the most about fall is being able to turn on my oven. During the summer months I never turn my oven on. Like never, ever, ever. Nope. Not going to happen. Our a/c blows, and not in a good way so from about May/June till about September/October that sucker stays off. If it’s hot out I’m grilling. While I love to grill I also love to bake, roast and just plain old broil things. So it’s nice to finally have weather where I can turn on the oven and get creative.

Mini-me went shopping state-side last week with boytoy, and his mom. She goes over any Friday she has off from work. I give her a budget to stay within for groceries and she does my shopping for me. Not a bad deal right. I usually requests weird baking items. This is what transpired before the trip!

Mini-Me: I’m going to the states tomorrow so make a list.
Me: Score, making a list.
MM: Essentials mom, stuff we need.
Me: M’kay, essentials only! Got it!
*hands over list*

Mom’s Essentials:
FUN cereal
FUN chocolate chips + baking supplies
ANYTHING that says funfetti
PINK CAKE STAND
Milkshake glasses
Banana Split Bowls

I got nothing! Nada. Zilch. Zip. She came home with essentials. But not my essentials. Dang kid.

Usually she’s pretty good. One time she scored me a really nice cake stand. Sometimes she scores me really cool spices. This time I got squat. She came home with actual groceries. The horror of it all!

One of the things she picked was Manwich. This was odd as she doesn’t eat Manwich. We eat sloppy joes but she’s not a fan. I asked her what was up, and she said it was a really good sale so she grabbed a few. Never one to waste an opportunity to eat a favourite meal from my childhood I decided it was game on. I wanted to shake it up though, make it a bit different.

She had also picked up these really cool Pillsbury Garlic Crescent Rolls. I’ve not seen them in Canada so I just had to figure out a way to use them. One thing led to another and this is what I came up with for dinner. I’ll let you in on a little secret. This flipping casserole is amazing. I mean “eat the whole pan of it in one sitting” good. I could not get enough of this stuff. You must try it as soon as possible. Just make sure you get your stretchy pants on before you strap on the old feedbag. You’re going to need them.

Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!

Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | G+ | Kiss My Smoke

Sloppy Joe Casserole
This is an easy to make Sloppy Joe Casserole that is perfect for a busy family on the go! If you love sloppy joes, and who doesn't, this is a way to make them fast!
Serves: One 9 x 13 Casserole
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
  • 2.5 pounds of lean ground beef
  • 2 can of Manwich
  • 2 packages of Pillsbury Garlic Crescent Rolls
  • 4 cups of mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Always preheat for a good 5 to 10 minutes to let the temperature rise then even out.
  2. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non stick spray generously. Set aside.
  3. In a large frying pan brown your ground beef. You want to cook it until the juices run clear and it's browning. But don't overcook it. Nothing worse than overcooked ground beef, it won't absorb sauces well like that. Make sure you stir it often and break it up into little pieces.
  4. Once the ground beef is cooked to perfection you can add both cans of the Manwich. Let it get to a nice bubble, then turn it down to a simmer.
  5. Open the first package of Pillsbury Garlic Crescent Rolls. Unroll it and place it in the bottom of the pan you set aside earlier. Spread it out with your hands till it fits the bottom really well.
  6. Now take half the mozzarella cheese (2 cups worth) and toss it on the dough evenly. Spread it out nicely.
  7. Turn off your burner for the Manwich. Carefully pour the Manwich mixture over top of the cheese. Spread it out with a spoon evenly.
  8. Now take your remaining mozzarella cheese (2 cups) and toss it evenly over the Manwich mixture. Spread it out nicely.
  9. Now open the second package of Pillsbury Garlic Crescent Rolls and unroll it. The top is trickier. Spread it out by hand in sections before placing on the top of the cheese. You could press it down on parchment if you're uneasy doing this, then just flip the parchment over and the dough will drop over the casserole perfectly. Honestly it doesn't have to be perfect. I left some gaps on the side and it looks sort of cool when you do that. You get to see the cheese get all bubbly.
  10. Place in the oven and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, depending on your oven. You want the top to be golden brown.
  11. Remove from oven and place on a secure surface.
  12. Take a knife and cut the casserole into squares.
  13. Remove carefully while hot, the first piece is always the hardest. May the force be with you for that one.
  14. Serve with a big old sloppy joe smile!
Nutrition Information
Serving size: Depends how hungry you are!

Sloppy Joe Casserole | Cravings of a Lunatic | A simple way to make a quick Sloppy Joe Casserole that will have your family begging for more!I kid you not people, this casserole is seriously addictive. It’s almost like a sloppy joe lasagna. Oh em gee, now I want a sloppy joe lasagna. I need more Manwich now. In the meantime I’ll polish of the one piece of this I hide so no one else would eat it. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Sloppy Joe Casserole | Cravings of a Lunatic | A simple way to make a quick Sloppy Joe Casserole that will have your family begging for more!Sloppy, messy and sheer perfection while shoving it into your pie hole as fast as humanly possible. You’re going to love this one. It’s perfect for one of those busy days where you want dinner in under 30 minutes.

Looking for other quick recipe ideas? Check these out:

Beef Stir Fry | Cravings of a Lunatic | Super easy to make, just use leftover beef roast for a quick meal!Beef Stir Fry

Mongolian Beef with Broccoli by Cravings of a Lunatic | Super easy to make and wicked DELICIOUS!Mongolian Beef

Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Pasta | Cravings of a Lunatic | Easy recipe using homemade roasted red peppers. Add some Italian Sausage and it's a perfection!Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Pasta

Roasted Red Pepper Pasta | Cravings of a Lunatic | Simple, quick and absolutely scrumptious! Roasted Red Pepper Pasta

Angel Hair Pasta with Shallots, Garlic, Broccoli & Lemon by Cravings of a LunaticAngel Hair Pasta with Shallots, Garlic, Broccoli and Lemon

Thanks so much for stopping in today. For my regular readers I apologize for my absence lately. It’s been hectic here adjusting to hubs working locally again. Been a busy couple of weeks but all is well. Plans to knock down the wall between the living room and kitchen are under way. I cannot wait. Thanks for hanging in there while I took some much-needed time off. I love you guys.

Comments

What a great name this dish has. It looks nice and simple to make. I seem to always spend at least an hour cooking dinner so always looking for quick dinners but this has a few rather obscure ingredients for me. LOL.

2. Charlie says

Sounds good Kim!

I’ll give it a try when the kids are over.

An offset spatula works great on the first piece.

Have a Joyful Day :~D
    Charlie

I haven’t had sloppy joes in forever and a day! They’re one of those foods from my youth that I loved, and just stopped eating for some reason. This casserole is a great idea – totally love it. Really fun recipe – thanks so much.

OK. I’ve never had Manwich. Over 23 years ago my sister in law came to visit. I don’t remember why but we were gone when she arrived. When we got home she proceeded to tell me that i didn’t have any food in the house. Like not even Manwich. True story! And I love sloppy joe! P.S. I would have found you some fun things. Target. Go to Target!

• Kim Beaulieu says

Oddly not at all. I was worried about that but I think the extra cheese layer buffers the meat and prevents it. It was perfect. My oven rack was right in the middle too if that helps.

Oh. My. Goodness! I love Mamwich! I haven’t had it in years and years. No one in my house likes it but me :) Love how you topped it with crescent rolls and completely transformed it into a whole new level of wonderful. I’m making this soon. I’m not telling them there’s Mamwich in there 😉 and everyone is going to love it!

What a great idea to make Sloppy Joes in a casserole. There’s something about things cooked in a good old casserole dish that look soooo good and your recipe looks wonderful. Love the other quick and easy recipes you’ve included too. The pictures look just delish.

I missed your dish by one day! We had Sloppy Joes last night and it was good but it could have been better if I found your recipe early enough. Oh well, I’ll just bookmark this for the next time. Have a good week, Kim! :)

This is really creative. I mean obviously crescent rolls go with everything….I love the sweet softness they have. Sloppy joes are delicious and I love what you did with this. I am adding it to my HAVE to make list. I love simple, inexpensive, filling and super tasty meals. All of these ingredients are normally in my grocery shopping staples, so it is perfect. I would love for you to add your favorite post or anything else you like to my blog hop…it is tomorrow. Inspiration in Progress- I hope to see you there. Have a fantastic day. Pinning and sharing.

9. Leslie Corbo says

This is a great recipe – I’ve been making a variation of it (use shredded cheddar instead of mozz) – the kids rave about it and their friends request it! I also use the flaky biscuits instead of the crescents most times. It’s so easy, but they don’t need to know that!

10. Lora says

I can not find garlic crescent rolls at all. I found the garlic sticks which I am going to have to try. looking forward to trying this. We normally get the bold sloppy joe’s I might have to try it twice and play around with it. thanks.

• Kim Beaulieu says

Just use regular crescent rolls, just as tasty. If you want a hint of garlic add some garlic powder or fresh garlic to the sloppy joe mix. Works like a charm. We can’t get the garlic ones here so I only have them if my daughter shops stateside for them. I use regular crescent rolls whenever I don’t have the garlic ones. xx

11. Barb says

I made these tonight and they were a hit with the family. The bottom crust was a bit doughy though, any suggestions? Thanks for the recipe!

• Kim Beaulieu says

Mine wasn’t but I have a really kick ass oven to be honest. You could try lowering it one rack in the oven so the bottom cooks quicker than the top. Or you could try cooking it with just the bottom layer only for a few minutes before adding the toppings. I do that on occasion with pizza. If the dough seems super porous I’ll pre-bake for 5 or 6 minutes. Sort of like blind baking a pie crust. It’s a great recipe so it’s totally worth playing with to get it the way you like it. I’d try brushing a little melted butter on top of the dough and blind baking it for maybe 5 if I were you. We love this. My daughter’s boyfriend took the leftovers and made a taco with it. Was hilarious. He loved it.

Thanks for the feedback Barb. I love hearing back from people, good or bad. It helps me learn to be write better and be clearer in my instructions. I find feedback very useful.

Let me know how the next time goes. I have another idea for this to tweak it. Maybe I’ll try the new version this weekend.

Ok, I’m sold and we are definitely having this on a weeknight soon. I get home so late from work that I hate to fix dinner most nights. This would be easy…not to mention we love the Manwich sauce. Its been a while since we’ve had it! Gonna have to surprise Grumpy soon!

13. Melissa says

A friend gave me a similar recipe years ago and called in Manwich Pie. We change it up depending on what we have on hand and what we feel like eating. Taco Pie – use a pkg of taco seasoning and water (as called for on package) and cheddar cheese and serve with chopped tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream and salsa when serving. Use pizza quick sauce with beef and mozzarella cheese for Pizza Pie. Add any traditional pizza toppings you like.

• Kim Beaulieu says

Hey Melissa. I actually make a really similar taco one a friend taught me how to make. It’s so good. I need to put it on the blog one day. Pizza ones are awesome too. I think these days people are just so busy they want dinner to be as easy and quick as possible. I find the most popular recipes on my site are the ones that are fast and super easy to make. The only day I do long drawn out recipes these days is Sundays. I usually make roast beef or chicken with oodles of sides. Then I can use the leftovers for other dishes during the week. I really should start posting more recipes using leftovers. I think people would probably really love ideas.

Have you tried pizza or taco pastas yet? Oh my gosh, so good. I’ve been doing a lot more casseroles and “bakes” lately. I want to start posting casserole and slow cooker recipes once a week. I’ve just been off work way too long.

Nice chatting with you. Thanks for the ideas. I love when people leave comments like this. It helps others scrolling through comments. Maybe they don’t like sloppy joes but were wondering if you could make something similar. So you just gave them two awesome ideas. That’s so great.