This indulgent Coconut Hot Chocolate is perfect for a cold winter night. Add some Chocolate Covered Spoons and it’s a match made in heaven.
Welcome to Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting today, Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
I love coconut. I mean absolutely over the moon kind of love. I love everything about it. I also love how tropical it is. For those who know me well you know my obsession with Hawaii. I discovered a show called Hawaii Life the other night. I knew it was not going to end well. I started thinking about that tropical paradise all the time. Morning, noon and night. So that was the inspiration for this tropical hot chocolate. A girl has to give in to her cravings after all.
I’ll admit I’m one of those people who can make a mean hot chocolate. My family begs me to make it from scratch whenever they visit me. One year my entire family was around for a huge snowstorm so we had a huge snowball fight outside, then I made everyone hot chocolate and eclairs. It pays to be related to me. Not even kidding. My family is pretty lucky. And spoiled.
My hot chocolate obsession dates back to being a kid. My mom would let us make it ourselves and I was always the one adding half a can of dry hot chocolate mix in my cup. I love it over the top chocolatey. I cannot help myself, the more chocolate the better. And there’s not many things that go better with chocolate than coconut if you ask me.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 1 cup white chocolate melted
- 1 cup milk or dark chocolate melted
- 4 cups of milk I like 2% for hot chocolate, I want it rich and thick
- 4 cups of coconut milk save a bit from the can for the whipping cream
- 8 ounces of good quality chocolate I prefer milk, but some people love dark
- 1/4 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Pinch of salt it brings out the sweetness, trust me
- 1/4 cup of corn syrup my secret weapon
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- If you left some little bits of coconut milk in the can use some
- Toasted Coconut
- Plain Coconut
- Mini Marshmallows
- Melted Chocolate for the rims
Try to make these a day ahead so they have time to set up. Or pop them in the fridge if doing the same day.
Fill two small saucepans with water and bring to a boil. Place two separate heat proof bowls over top of the saucepans and then lower to a nice simmer. Allow the chocolate to melt in each one. Don't mix up the spoons while stirring, ha.
While the chocolate is melting line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Now take whatever kinds of spoons you want to use and with another spoon you can drizzle the melted chocolate over top. Run the drizzle spoon down the back and front and allow the excess to drip off. For the record if you're giving the spoons away use those wooden ones, or plastic ones. I was keeping them so I used small metal and fancy plastic type spoons.
Once you get the spoons covered you can place them on the parchment to set up. The less excess the better. You will end up with odd shapes if you allow to much to stay on the spoon.
You can stick them in the fridge to help set them up if needed.
Add all the ingredients but the extracts and corn syrup in a large saucepan. Cook over a medium low heat and stir until the chocolate melts. Let it get nice and toasty warm then add the extracts and the corn syrup, cook for another 2 or so minutes. Then remove from the heat.
In a mixer combine the ingredients and mix first on low to prevent splashing, then you can amp up the speed and mix on high till fluffy.
To line the rims of the mugs you can do one of two things. You can use corn syrup to line the rim then dunk the rim into a bowl of coconut. Or you can dunk the rim into melted chocolate, then dunk again in a bowl of coconut. Roll it around until it's coated nicely. Set aside.
Make sure the hot chocolate is piping hot. Then use a funnel to get the liquid in the mugs if you lined them.
You can top with marshmallows or whipped cream, or both. You can toss more coconut on top too if you like.
I got a little carried away and dunked a bunch of mini marshmallows in chocolate, then dunked them in coconut. Things got a little wild here. SO good.
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Chocolate Shortbread Bars by Juanita’s Cocina
- Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Frosted Sugar Cookies by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Peppermint Mocha Brownie Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Holiday Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cranberry Pistachio Eggnog Bark by See Aimee Cook
- Chocolate Peppermint Donuts by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cranberry-Orange Gin Fizz by The Messy Baker
- Pokey Fudge by Ninja Baking
- Vanilla Wafer Holiday Bark by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Peanut Butter n’ Jelly Thumbprints by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Buckeyes by My Catholic Kitchen
- Coconut Cream Tres Leches Cake by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Gluten-free Cinnamon Star Cookies by Masala Herb
- Nanny’s Pecan Pie by Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies by Jen’s Favorite Cookies
- My Mother-in-law’s Fudge by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Peppermint Brownie Pops by Home Cooking Memories
- Chocolate Cherry Hazelnut Fudge by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter Nutella S’Mores by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cranberry Yogurt Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Chocolate Pumpkin Bundt Cake by Liv Life
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Peppermint Fudge by Like Mother Like Daughter
Now for the fun stuff. Giveaway time! Yeah!
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Magimix by Robot-Coupe. Magimix has an impressive history, and is the inventor of the first food processor for home cooks. Their machines are still handmade in Burgundy, France, and they are the only company to manufacture their own motors which feature a 30 year guarantee!
Chefs Catalog is offering a new, exclusive Magimix by Robot-Coupe 3200XL 12-Cup Food Processor package. The food processor features nested bowls, stainless steel blades, and a large feed tube. The included blender attachment transforms the processor into a fully-functional blender, and the citrus press is ideal for extracting juice from all types of fresh fruits. To enter, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for one Magimix by Robot-Coupe 3200XL 12-Cup Food Processor (in white)! This giveaway is open to Continental US residents only . When the contest concludes, the winner will be chosen by random draw. The winner will be notified through e-mail and they will have 3 days to respond or another winner will be chosen.***
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Magimix by Robot-Coupe. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
Make sure you tune in all week for more Christmas Week fun. Thanks to Jen for cohosting with me. Also a huge thank you to all our participants.
Toodles and smoochies! xx