This Jedi Snack Mix uses Mini Trix Cereal, Pretzels made into Lightsabers, coloured popcorn, tiny wafer cookies and M and M Candies. It’s the perfect snack for the premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens! May the force be with you!
This is a sponsored post for General Mills. All opinions are my own, as always. Thanks to all the companies, and readers, who help support my blog.
Let’s just start this post with a huge SQUEEEEEE!!
Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. Now I’ll behave like a professional. Recently I got asked to develop a recipe using General Mills cereal to tie into the launch of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. SQUEE!!
Okay, I’ll control myself now. I think it’s out my system now.
I can’t even begin to tell you how exciting this project was. Not only exciting and totally squee-worthy, but it had huge sentimental meaning for me. Huge. You just have no idea.
My Dad was a huge Star Wars fan. We’re talking about a man who never got excited about anything in life. My Dad was one of those people who was really serious, and you could never really tell how he was feeling.
He went through life being very stoic and serious, never really letting loose very often. One of the few exceptions was when we went to see the Star Wars movies in the theatre.
My Dad was a cheapskate and was not a fan of spending money on things he didn’t deem “necessary”. That included movies. He was not a big fan of the noise, or the cost.
That all changed when the first Star Wars movie came out. My Dad was SO excited. We all went to the movie, my Dad even splurged on popcorn and drinks. That was monumental.
We all held our breaths and waited for the movie to start. It was magical. I think I spent as much time watching my Dad’s face as I did watching the movie. It was 1977, and I was 8 years old. I remember it like it was yesterday.
My Dad continued to be a fan his whole life. We saw each movie in the theatre and my Dad loved every one. He was a fan through and through. He loved the Star Wars series and could not get enough of it.
So when I got the invite to participate in this campaign I was so excited. My first thought was “I wish I could share this with my Dad”. He would have been so blown away that I was working on project like this.
I jumped into this project with wild abandon, and had an absolute ball making the snack mix. The whole time I kept thinking about my Dad, his love for Star Wars and seeing the movies with his family.
This recipe has huge sentimental meaning for me, for obvious reasons. My Dad would have been so thrilled for me to be working on this project. So this one is dedicated to my Dad, the biggest Star Wars fan there ever was!
I’ll be carrying on his tradition when I take my own hooligans to Star Wars: The Force Awakens this week. We’re all huge Star Wars fans. My son flew in for the holidays so he’ll be coming with us. The whole family, together, making memories!
Hope you see the movie and make your memories with your family. Whip up this Mini Trix Cereal Jedi Snack Mix with Pretzel Light Sabers to help celebrate Star Wars: The Force Awakens!
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
Mini Trix Cereal Jedi Snack Mix with Lightsaber Pretzels
- 4 cups Mini Trix Cereal
- 1 cup vanilla wafer cookies
- 1 cup chocolate wafer cookies
- 4 cups pretzel sticks
- 4 cups popcorn plain or coloured
- 1 cup M&M candies or any candies you enjoy
- 1/2 cup blue candy melts
- 1/2 cup red candy melts
- 1/2 cup green candy melts
- 1/2 cup confetti candy melts
- 3 ounces white chocolate
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- Line 4 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Spread Mini Trix cereal onto one cookie sheet. Set aside.
- Spread chocolate wafer cookies onto one cookie sheet. Set aside.
- Spread vanilla wafer cookies onto one cookie sheet. Set aside
- Place pretzels in a large bowl near the last cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a small bowl melt the white chocolate in the microwave for about 1 minute. Check after 30 seconds, then keep checking every 15 seconds after. Mix until smooth and completed melted. Drizzle over the chocolate and vanilla wafer cookies randomly. There's no right or wrong way to do it. Allow to cool.
- In a small bowl combine blue candy melts and 1 and 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Place bowl in the microwave and cook for about 1 minutes, checking every 15 seconds to make sure it's melting correctly. Mix with a spoon until it's smooth. Once it's smooth transfer it to a tiny cup (egg cup or shot glasses work great) so you can dunk the pretzels into it. Dunk each pretzel into the melts so it comes up 3/4 of the way up the pretzel. This will make them look like lightsabers from the Star Wars movies. Make sure to tap each pretzel to remove excess coating. Lay each pretzel on a cookie sheet to allow the coating to set up.
- Repeat the process with the red candy melts.
- Then repeat the process with the green candy melts.
- In a small bowl combine the confetti candy melts and 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Place bowl in the microwave and cook for about 1 minute, checking every 15 seconds to make sure it's melting correctly. Mix with a spoon until it's smooth. Once it's smooth drizzle it over top of the Mini Trix cereal in random fashion. There's no right or wrong way to do it. The purpose is to make the Mini Trix cereal clump like granola pieces. Once you finish drizzling, allow the candy coating to cool completely. Then you can break the mixture into small pieces.
- I used coloured popcorn in this recipe. If you don't have coloured popcorn you can make your own, or use plain popcorn. It works just as well. Or you can coat plain popcorn with white chocolate and sprinkles if you like. Get creative and have fun with it.
- Now wait for everything to cool and all the candy coatings to harden. Once that happens you can toss everything together in a giant bowl. Carefully mix it together so you don't break any pieces. Toss in some M&M candies for added crunch and a hint of chocolate with each bite of Jedi snack mix.
- Store in an air tight container. If it lasts that long.
- Serve with a big Mini Trix Cereal Jedi Snack Mix with Lightsaber Pretzels loving smile!
- May the force be with you!!
A little bit about the Star Wars Campaign via General Mills:
Star Wars fans can find four collectible boxes of General Mills cereal celebrating the new movie “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” opening in U.S. theaters on Dec. 18, 2015. Celebratory Star Wars-themed packaging updates have been made to boxes of Mini Trix, Honey Nut Cheerios, Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Reese’s Puffs!
Inside these specially marked boxes, for a limited time only, you’ll find Droid Viewers. There are six in all, randomly sorted in to the four collectible boxes. Want to know more? Visit General Mills for more information about those cool droids!
There will be a new wave of Star Wars General Mills Cereal Boxes launching in January!! Those special boxes will contain special movie-themed decals.
Die-hard Star Wars fans can swing by the Big G Cereal Wars Tumbler Page to join the fun. There’s some amazing memes and great stuff to share. Visit us over there for more Star Wars: The Force Awakens fun and shenanigans.
I think my readers know I’m a HUGE Trix Cereal Fanatic. I think I may actually be Trix Cereal’s biggest fan, in the whole wide world. You may have seen some of my Trix Treats around the interwebs.
Being such a huge Trix Cereal Fanatic means I jumped at the chance to develop a recipe for this project. I love all General Mills cereal, but I have a huge soft spot for Trix. When they told me about the new box art for the Mini Trix Cereal I knew I had to pick this cereal to use. I mean the Trix Rabbit dressed up like Princess Leia was perfection!!
I know, right. It’s so cute and I just want to hug the box. But that would wrong. And a bit creepy. So I made snack mix instead.
Go the extra mile when you make this snack mix and be sure to make the lightsabers. It’s a simple but tedious task. The results are so worth it though. Your kids will fall in love with the pretzel lightsabers. You can use pretzel sticks or anything that resembles a lightsaber in shape.
This snack mix is perfect for a Star Wars Movie Marathon. Then hop on over to your local theatre to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I am SO excited to see this movie. The only thing missing is my Dad. I’ll be thinking about him a lot while we watch the new movie.
I know he would be so thrilled about this project. So this one’s for you Dad. Love you. Miss you. Wish you were here. xx
One of my favourite bloggy peeps is also participating in this campaign. Do you know Erin of Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts? If you don’t you should get to know her. She’s delightful and super talented. She made some super cool C-3PO Bites with Honey Nut Cheerios for this Star Wars: The Force Awakens Campaign. I highly encourage everyone to swing by her site for the recipe!!
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest and Instagram for all the latest and greatest recipes I’m sharing. I also have a tendency to share lots of kitty, puppy, and horsey photos. I love my furkids, and enjoy sharing pictures of them on Instagram.