Hi folks. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day today. I’ve been incredibly lazy, no idea why. Just feel like chilling. Went to see the movie “We Bought A Zoo” with mini-me in the afternoon. Really good movie, very heart-warming. Then we went over to the book store like usual. They have an Indigo books right next to the movie theatre. I managed to score some Donna Hay cookbooks in the discount section. You know me and bargains. Even the movie was a bargain. We always go to the matinees as they are considerably cheaper than night time shows. Can you say cheapskate?
Another way I like to save money is by trying to use up leftovers. I had made a pot roast the other day and had some left. Normally I would use any leftovers for stew. This time I went out on a limb and made sandwiches with it. I did not do a dipping sauce for a couple of reasons.
1- I was busy and never got around to it!
2- I do not like soggy food so the idea of dipping a sandwich is weird to me!
Yeah okay so I have food hangups. What can I say, I am a nut ball after all. I do not like soggy food, I do not like my food to touch, I do not like to share food, and if you take a sip of my drink it’s automatically yours. Just sayin’!
This was a great way to use up leftovers, really easy to do. I love the slow cooker for stuff like this. For me it’s a lifesaver. We can go to the barn and still have dinner at night. Bonus!
Hope you enjoy!
- • 1.5 pounds of leftover roast beef use fresh if you like, just adjust your cooking time
- • 2 cups beef broth you can add in some dripping from your roast, just take off the fat
- • 1/4 to 1/2 cup onions I had them in the pot roast so I used those
- • 1 cup Red Wine Sirloin Marinade Sauce from Smallwood’s Harvest you can use any sauce you like
- • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- • 1 teaspoon onion powder
- • Dash of salt
- • 4 big rolls we used Portuguese buns
- Place the beef in your slow cooker.
- Pour broth over it.
- If your onions are not already cooked, pop them in a pan with olive oil for a few minutes.
- Toss onions over top the roast.
- Add your spices.
- Turn slow cooker on low and cook for about 5 to 6 hours if the meat is leftover and already cooked. If using raw then adjust your time to about 9 to 10 hours.
- Walk away and get some stuff done. Or watch TV. Or read my blog for oh, about 6- 10 hours.
- Once you hear that beep, beep, beep, then go back and drain all the juice out of the beef.
- Shred the meat by pulling it apart with two forks.
- Pop the meat back in the slow cooker.
- Add your Worcestershire sauce.
- Add your Marinade sauce.
- Give it a good stir.
- Turn slow cooker back on for 30 minutes on low.
- Now place on buns or bread and enjoy!
- *Yields 4 big sandwiches*
I find it really hard to take pics of sandwiches. If you have any insight into how to make a sandwich look as good as it tastes please let me know. These were wicked tasty and the pics do not do them justice.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. I plan on finishing taking down the Christmas trees. I’ll be sad to see them go. Nothing smells as good as fresh trees.
Toodles and smoochies.xx