This meatless pasta recipe is full of flavour and incredibly easy to make. This is a fun twist on lasagna.
Okay so I admit it. I am completely addicted to roasted red peppers. If loving them is wrong I don’t want to be right.
I keep jars of them in my pantry all the time. You can make so many things with roasted red peppers. I’m a sucker for roasted red pepper pasta and experimenting with tons of variations of it. I make it so many different ways, I probably never make it the same way twice. It’s an endless search for the very best roasted red pepper pasta. This one definitely tops the list.
When Sunday Supper announced they were hosting a Meatless Meal theme I knew I wanted to make a meatless lasagna. I wanted it to still be hearty though, so I decided I would use chunky red pepper pesto as the base. It turned out beautifully. Not only is this a pretty lasagna, but the taste is out of this world. This one is going to get into regular rotation here. It’s spectacular!
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 large shallots diced
- Dash of salt
- 2 jars 370 ml of roasted red peppers
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 cups of mozzarella cheese grated
- Lasagne noodles 500 g, cooked
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Spray a lasagna pan or casserole dish (9 x 13) with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Shred your cheese.
Bring a stock pot of water to a boil, salt the water. Once it boils add the pasta, and cook for 1 minute less than the package instructs. I cooked mine for 7 minutes. Drain but do NOT rinse. Time this step properly with the sauce below. I suggest tossing the noodles in the water as the sauce thickens at the end.
While the water is heating up you can start your sauce.
In a large skillet drizzle the olive oil. Turn the heat to a medium low. Once the oil glistens add the onions, shallots and a dash of salt. Cook them for about 15 minutes, they should be just starting to brown. Add the roasted red peppers, cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Toss the mixture into a food processor and let it whir until the vegetables become combined but still slightly chunky. Remove and pop that mixture back in the skillet.
Turn the skillet on a medium heat, let it start to heat up then add the broth. Cook that for about 5 minutes, then add the heavy cream. Stir over medium heat until it thickens, this should take about 5 to 10 minutes. Toss in the dried parsley. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
Lay two layers of noodles on the bottom. (some people do one but we like ours with more noodles and cheese, and less sauce).
Spread a layer of sauce over top.
Toss some cheese over top.
Continue to layer this way until you reach the top of the casserole dish or run out of ingredients.
I always use more cheese on top than inside. About double in fact.
Pop the lasagna in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, depending how you like your cheese. We like ours browned to perfection so I went a full 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and slice.
Serve with a big old roasted red pepper loving smile!
This recipe makes (One) 9 x 13 Pan of Lasagna. It feeds between 6 to 8 people.
You can adjust the noodles, the sauce and the cheese depending on how you like your lasagna. We like ours with lots of noodles and cheese, but lighter on the sauce. If you are someone who likes their lasagna heavy on the sauce I suggest doubling the ingredients for more sauce to layer over top.
Please keep in mind that this recipe is meatless but not vegetarian or vegan. To make it either make sure to use cheese that meets your diet's requirement. There are tons of vegan cheeses out there, just choose carefully if you are going for the melty cheese effect of lasagna. Some melt better than others.
I mean who could resist this lasagna. It’s so good. I had two helpings of it. Okay, so that’s a lie. I had three. Don’t judge!
Join all my Sunday Supper Peeps for more great Meatless Meals. Thanks to our fearless Sunday Supper leader, Isabel of Family Foodie. Also a huge thanks and shout out to Momma’s Meals for hosting this week.
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Toodles and smoochies! xx