Slow Cooker Zesty Hamburger Soup that is super easy to make, and packs a ton of flavour. Perfect for a busy day where you want to set it and forget it!
Okay I’m going to be honest with you all. I hesitated to post this. It’s so hard to take good photos of soup. So I was unsure this was blog worthy. After much (okay that’s a lie, let’s say a little) discussion on Facebook with some readers and fellow bloggers I decided to pop this up here. You may be saying “but why Lunie, the photo stinks”… well, it does BUT the recipe does not. So I’ve overcome my trepidation to post ugly soup photos in order to give you tasty recipes. You’re welcome!
Don’t you just want to slap the silly off me some days? It’s okay. I’m sillyunstoppable! Slap away!
So I made Hamburger Soup awhile back. Oddly that photo is better than this one even though I have a better camera now. Just goes to show it’s not the camera, it’s how you use it. Apparently I’ve lost my photo-mojo. Don’t panic though, I’m determined to fit in some time this week to read up how to improve my pics and quite possibly my attitude. Okay that’s another lie, my ‘tude will never change. But here’s hoping my photos do!
The last time I made this I followed a recipe which used some processed ingredients. Now I’m not saying I’ll never use processed ingredients again, but I am trying to cut back a bit on them since they tend to upset my IBS. I really liked the last recipe though, so I just tried to make it taste similar while eliminating the packaged stuff. I also wanted to give it a slightly Italian taste. So I amped up the spice a bit. This turned out great and I really enjoyed it. But again, I’m going to be really honest with you, it’s still not perfect. I want to play around with it some more and see if I can take it from great to stupendous. And that’s a tall order cuz how often do you hear someone come to a blog or food site and say “that’s stupendous” right. Never happens. I’m setting forth that challenge for myself right now. I WILL make this better and make at least one of you come by and say you tried it and it was “stupendous”. You heard it here first people. I’m bringing stupendous back. Or stupid. Maybe I’m confused. It could be all the drugs from the trip. I should probably check out dictionary.com right. Meh, nah, stupendous challenge is on. Bring it!
Zesty Hamburger Soup for Slow Cooker Saturdays
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
- 3 to 4 carrots chopped
- 3 to 4 celery stalks chopped
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves of garlic pressed
- 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 24 oz can tomato sauce, you can reduce to 14 oz if you like
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cups beef broth I used 4 cups of water to 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Veggie Base
- Salt and Pepper to taste I leave out pepper since I don't like it
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 cups of cooked noodles I like Farfalle but any would work
- Optional: 1/2 to 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Brown your ground beef in a pan on the stove.
- Add your cooked ground beef, carrots, celery, shallots, garlic, tomatoes, pasta sauce, brown sugar and beef broth into the slow cooker. Turn on low.
- Give it a good stir, then add your salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Place lid on top and cook over low heat for about 6 to 8 hours depending on the size of your slow cooker. I always recommend checking it at the lowest time and make adjustments from there. If it needs more water during the cooking process or more seasoning you can adjust here and there as it cooks.
- When it's about an hour from finishing, put on a large pot of water and bring to a boil for the noodles. Drop them in once boiling and cook for time stated on package. I usually shave off about a minute since they continue to cook after.
- Don't rinse them, just lift them out with a large slotted spoon or ladle and place them in slow cooker. Mix it all up and add a little pasta water, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup and mix again. If you want parmesan add that now too. Let it cook together for about 20 minutes while you set the table or change into comfy clothes.
- Serve with a big old "this would not make a good photo" smile.
Freaking tastes great. Not stupendous, but definitely getting closer.
Now tomorrow is a different story altogether. I have been promising you all fudge for days and taunting you with the recipe for about a week. Finally its hitting you tomorrow. Right smack in your stupendous face. Hope you all like it. Fudge is my nemesis. It’s also my kryptonite. I have no idea how it can be both, but it is. There are times I make it and its sheer perfection right out of the gate. Then there are times I make it and it seriously kicks my butt in a big way. I also have really high standards for my fudge. I want perfection and I’ll make ten thousand bazillion gazillion batches to get it right. Which usually leads to ten thousand bazillion gazillion pounds added to my butt it kicked. But it’s worth it to get that close to having someone say “stupendous fudge dude”. Like anyone ever uses the word stupendous. Or dude. Seriously, someone send me a Webster’s Dictionary. I need help!
Monster Fudge, pictured below:
Other Slow Cooker Recipes by Cravings of a Lunatic:
Manly Meaty Chili, pictured below:
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup, pictured below:
Hawaiian Pulled Pork, pictured below:
Spicy Nuts, pictured below:
Slow Cooker Taco Seasoned Pretzels, pictured below:
Toodles and smoochies! xx