Polish Pączki aka Polish Doughnuts #SundaySupper

Polish Pączki is one of my daughter’s favourite recipes. She looks forward to making them every year. This recipe is easy and absolutely delicious.

Paczki | Cravings of a Lunatic | This recipe is easy and absolutely delicious.

Each year my daughter gets really excited as Fat Tuesday approaches. So when Sunday Supper announced the theme for this week would be Fat Sunday I knew we needed to make Polish Pączki. Mini-me was beyond thrilled. Timing was difficult as she’s in university and works, so she’s super busy. So these were made at around midnight on Saturday night, mere hours before the post was due. I knew it was the only time we could make them together so I did the prep for the dough during the day. That ensured we could make the Polish Pączki together before bed.

If you have never made these I’ll warn you they are a tad step heavy. You need to make dough with yeast, allow it to rise, punch it down, allow it to rise again, then roll it out, cut it into spheres, then allow those to rise. So by the time you get to the filling stage it’s been hours of prep. Most of that is inactive though so it’s not difficult, it’s just a lot of steps to get from point A to point B, C, D and E. Totally worth it though. If you think store-bought Polish Pączki are phenomenal wait till you try homemade. These bad boys are going to blow your mind.

Polish Pączki | Cravings of a Lunatic | This recipe is easy and absolutely delicious.

Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!

Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | G+ | Kiss My Smoke

Polish Paczki

Prep Time: 45 minutes

Cook Time: 6 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours

Yield: 2 Dozen

Polish Paczki is one of my daughter's favourite recipes. She looks forward to making them every year. This recipe is easy and absolutely delicious.

For the Dough:
  • 1 and 1/2 cups warm milk (110 degrees is ideal, no warmer than that)
  • 2 packages of active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (for proofing the yeast)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon rum extract
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 and 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • For the Toppings:
  • Granulated Sugar
  • Powdered Sugar
  • Cinnamon Sugar Mix (one part granulated sugar, one part brown sugar, then a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg)

For proofing the yeast:
  • Warm the milk in a saucepan using a thermometer to watch the temperature. Do not go over 110 degrees. Remove from heat. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 2 packages of active dry yeast. Stir briefly. Then set aside to allow it to proof. This will take about 5 to 8 minutes, just let it sit and if your yeast is good it will start to foam.
  • For the Dough:
  • In a stand mixer combine the 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter, cream that with a paddle attachment.You want it fluffy before adding anything else. Once it is you can add the egg, egg yolks, rum extract and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
  • Now alternately add the flour and yeast mixture to stand mixer bowl. I alternated 3 times and mixed slowly in while adding. Then turn the speed up to a medium speed for a minute or two, until the dough becomes blistered. Every time we make these we end up using the full 5 cups of flour. But I also start out with 4 and 1/2 cups to be sure if I need more or not.
  • The dough is going to be very sticky, it's okay, don't let that freak you out. Spray a glass bowl with non-stick spray and then set the dough inside. I spray a piece of parchment with non-stick spray then lay that over the top of the dough, then I tightly cover the bowl with tinfoil, sealing the edges. Set the bowl somewhere warm and allow to rise for about 1 to 2 and 1/2 hours, it should double in size.
  • Now punch it down, then wrap it back up and allow it to rise again for 1 to 2 and 1/2 hours.
  • Now lightly flour your work surface. Turn your dough out onto the work surface. Roll out so the dough is 1/2 inch thickness. Use a biscuit cutter or glass to cut rounds. Place them on lightly floured pans, cover with a lint free cloth, and allow them to rise for another 30 to 60 minutes.
  • Heat your oil to 350 degrees F.
  • Drop pacski in the oil, flat side down, cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, then flip over and cook other side for 1 to 2 minutes. You want them to be golden brown.
  • Scoop out of the fryer and lay on a paper towel, then dunk in desired topping. Place on a rack to dry.
  • Repeat with 3 or 4 at a time so you don't over-crowd your oil. Continue until all the pacski are cooked.
  • Serve with a big old sugary smile!

Recipe Source: About.com

It helps to set up separate bowls of sugary toppings before frying the Polish Paczki.

You can also fill them with various topping.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Be sure to visit all my Sunday Supper peeps to see what they whipped up for you!

Cocktails & Other Beverages:

Appetizers:

Main Dishes:

Side Dishes:

Desserts:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Sunday Supper Movement

Comments

These are wonderful and I know how many I could eat! These are really similar to what you find in France and here in Nantes during this season and I’ve been meaning to make them. I might try your recipe!

• 2
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I love these things. We only make them once or twice a year so they stay “special”. My daughter goes crazy for them. She said last year’s were better so I’m wondering if maybe I used a little more sugar in the dough last year. When we stuff them we don’t pipe it in, we actually roll them a tad thinner, then add filling, seal them like ravioli, then drop them in the fryer with the filling inside. So good. You must try it. I bet you could get a lighter dough than me. I’m good with pastries and breads, but I don’t have that golden touch some people have.

So delicious! Yours look better than the ones that came out of the bakery I worked in years ago!

• 4
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Awe thanks Renee. I had so much fun making these with my daughter. It’s a yearly tradition.

awwww!!! That’s so sweet!!! I’ve never had the Polish Doughnuts (There’s a lot more Italian/Irish traditions where I grew up…and in my family lol) but they look so fluffy and delicious!

• 6
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Tradition in our family, my daughter insists on making them every year. It’s so much fun. We have tons of them.

Great minds think alike! We love Paczki too, but this was the first year I made them myself. So delicious!

• 8
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Love these things, so good. We make them every year. It’s one of our family traditions. My daughter is a pro with dough after working at a pizza place.

I love these things! All too much. ;-) I’ve never tried making them, though — definitely something I need to do. These look wonderful — thanks.

• 10
      Kim Beaulieu says:

They are so good. You have to try making them John. They are super easy, just a tad step heavy but totally worth it.

Yum!! Yo rPolish Paczki looks just incredible! They look so light and fluffy!!

• 12
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks Jennifer. We love making them. My daughter is really good with pastry type recipes. Think it’s all her pizza shop experience. She is a genius with dough.

I know Katie would love these, too…in fact, the whole family would!!! Your photos are outstanding…your paczki look so fluffy and irresistible! I’d like one with each topping, please :)

• 14
      Kim Beaulieu says:

She would totally dig these. So very good. I was so worried about the photos, I took them with artificial light which you know I hate. But I had no choice. I liked the cinnamon sugar ones. The next day we did filling, I’m a sucker for peach and cherry. Mini-me likes apple.

Yum, those look amazing. Look at you baking at midnight, I am up way too early to stay up that late!! Getting old I guess!

• 16
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks Tara. Ha, I know right. I just had to wait for mini-me to get home. It’s our family tradition.

Can you believe I have never tried a Paczki? This must change… these look so good.

Wow, your photos look incredible…like pop-out-of-the-screen perfection

These look pretty darn decadent. I haven’t ever had a paczki but they sell them in all of the bakeries around here. Just thinking about a warm one is making me drool.

I need to follow your recipe stat! Your paczki are so photogenic, I want to dive right in!

I wish you lived nearby. I would be over in a heartbeat!

Doughnuts are always worth the effort. I know these aren’t technically doughnuts, but if they look like a doughnut and taste like a doughnut… Pinning!

Oh they look so mouth-watering… I don’t know about serving, but I’d eat them with a gigantic smile alright!

Anonymous says:

Polish Pączki — I’ve never heard of these before! They look amazing! I’m going to have to make them! So decadent! :)

These look so great and your photos are lovely. I think these treats are best kept for a special occasion – that’s what keeps them so sought-after.

• 34
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks so much Suzanne. I adore making these with mini-me every year. Such a great tradition.

My little Polish donut-loving heart thanks you SO much for sharing this recipe! I am not a master of frying (despite having worked at a donut shop), however, I will be babysitting at my sister’s house where there is a deep fryer at my disposal. These NEED to happen!

• 36
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Awe, you are so welcome Kelly. Have you ever made them? I think you can bake them too. When we stuff them we don’t just pipe stuff in, we actually make the rounds smaller, add the filling, top with another round, seal and cook with the filling in them. There is something so amazing about warm filling inside. Just make sure you seal them really well so the filling doesn’t end up in your deep fryer.

So much for trying to avoid sweets my sweet tooth doesn’t think it can let these beauties pass me by.

Gorgeous Kim! I want to say these are similar to malasadas?? You must know what they are…Portuguese doughnuts that you can find anywhere in Hawaii…I miss them! But I am afraid of making anything with yeast lol

• 40
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Very similar. I think almost interchangeable. I can’t wait to take K to Hawaii. We’re hoping next year, if not it’ll be the year after. She needs to see where her name comes from.

Do not fear the yeast, the worst part of it is the smell. I despise the smell of yeast, especially when you proof it, particularly in milk. But once you tackle yeast it’s super easy. Just make sure you proof so you know your yeast is good. It takes just a few minutes. Or buy a bread machine, I do a ton of my doughs in my bread maker. It does all the work for you.

worth every bit of the effort I’ll bet and amazingly delicious looking too!

Oooooh…I think I drooled just a little bit. Is there anything better than a sweet treat warm from the fryer? These look so special!

Susan P says:

These look delicious. Do you switch to the hook attachment when adding the flour?

• 46
      Kim Beaulieu says:

You could, I didn’t. I just left the paddle on it and it worked beautifully. It’s a pretty wet dough until you work it later with some bench flour. I’m a lazy girl, if I can get away with not swapping attachments I will. Just don’t use the whisk, it wouldn’t work, but the paddle is perfection. On slow speed. Hope that helps. Let me know if you make them. I’m noshing on one (or three) right now.

Gaaaaah – these are so gorgeous, Kim, I can’t stand it. I love fried dough so much. This may be a step-heavy recipe but I’m sure totally worth it at the end to take a giant bite out of these crispy, soft, sugar crusted beauties. I’m visiting your house next year for Fat Tuesday.

• 48
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks Nancy. You totally need to come visit. Not as pretty here as BC but I can make up for that with food. Ha.

I can see why this is one of her favorite recipes. These would be dangerous in my house. I’d have to auction them to the highest bidder and I bet no one would bid higher than me!

• 50
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Ha, that’s basically what happens here over the last one. We all make deals to see who wants it the most.

I couldn’t resist a few of these today! Diet be damned!

These look so good! I see why it’s your daughter’s favorite :)

Yum. Yum. Gimme Some. Sorry I couldn’t think straight after seeing those photos. Want. Stat.

These would be a favorite at my house too!

Diana Cote says:

I don’t have any rum or rum extract, i do have real whiskey and vanilla & lemon extract also almond. is there anything i could substitute it for? Thanks! :)

• 60
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I’d just use straight up vanilla extract if you don’t have rum. I do that a lot. Almond would be nice too. Hope that helps. xx

Wow… I could seriously a whole tray of these. :) Looks like a perfect treat.

There’s a HUGE Polish community near me in Buffalo, and they actually call Shrove Tuesday “Paczki Tuesday”! I love these things and I’m not even usually a doughnut person!

• 64
      Kim Beaulieu says:

They are huge here too, they sell them everywhere. I love making them and eating them. I’m like you, I’m not a big donut girl but I make exceptions for these.

These look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

I love paczi! It never even occurred to me to make my own… I bet these are a billion times better than what I get at the grocery store.

This Polish girl really has to make these sometime!

Well heavy or not and many steps or not… I’m pretty sure I would looove to make these! They look gorgeous and love your photos!

These look exactly like the ones they sell in Toronto’s Polish district… SO good!

I’ve never had packai however I know my life won’t be complete until I’ve had one after seeing yours. Wow.

These just made me drool. For reals. They’re gorgeous!!