How to make bacon bits at home. You can use them on salads, or keep them on hand for quick bacon pizza bites as an after school snack.
Okay, I’m going to be honest here. I mean why hold back. But I feel like everyone already knows how to make these.
Yet my friend told me she had no idea how to make them at home. Colour me surprised.
So I jumped up immediately and made some bacon.
Then smashed it to smithereens. I’m not going to lie. Making bacon bits is oodles of fun.
eat cook a pound of bacon. Then you break up whatever you didn’t eat. Then you can pop the bits in the fridge, the freezer or your mouth. Your call. No judgement here.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 1 pound of bacon
- In a cast iron skillet, or frying pan, cook bacon over medium heat.
- Cook first side until it's golden brown, or to your own liking, some people like theirs a bit undercooked, some people like me like theirs a little overcooked. It's personal preference. Once it's golden brown, flip it over and continue to cook the other side until it's golden brown too.
- Turn off the heat, remove pan from the stove, transfer the bacon carefully to a plate lined with napkins to help absorb excess grease. Allow to cool, and dab with more paper towels to make sure all grease is gone.
- Now you can chop the bacon up on a cutting board to your desired bacon bit size. I actually cut mine with kitchen shears. It's how I roll. Life on the edge, man.
- Pop the bacon bits into small containers, then pop on a lid. You can store cooked bacon bits in the fridge for about 3 days (if they last that long), or in your freezer for a couple of months.
- This is the ideal way to always have bacon bits on hand for when you get a craving.
- They are the bomb on pizza bites. Not even kidding.
- Serve with a bit old "I ate all the bacon and I don't even feel bad" smile!
If you’re anything like me you always buy three times as much bacon as needed. I can never resist bacon. I think I ate my weight in bacon this month. I have a few home cured bacon recipes coming up on Kiss My Smoke soon too. I just haven’t gotten a chance to prep the posts. With my son in town I’ve dialled back work to spend time with the family. But stayed tuned because I’ve accumulated lots of bacon recipes I haven’t had time to edit. They will be coming at some point.
Speaking of the kiddos, they gave me a heart attack today. I was zipping off to a hair appointment because the hooligans were going to play paintball with friends. We’re always nervous letting our son drive as he has such horrible luck behind the wheel. We relented and let him take the van. Not 15 minutes we get a call. My daughter saying they were in an accident. Luckily everyone is okay, thank goodness. Some gal was not paying attention and rear-ended them. So today was stressful. They have to head down to the police station on Tuesday to file a report. Apparently the police were so overloaded today they were scheduling appointments for later in the week. Weird right. Luckily they fit B-Dude in since he leaves on Wednesday to head out west for school.
Okay my lovely peeps, I need to rock n roll. Tomorrow we are moving horsey to a new barn. Let’s just say Ginger and horse trailers don’t get along. Ginger and new environments don’t get along. Ginger and new horses don’t get along. Ginger does not like change. So tomorrow is going to be a long day. I didn’t want to move her till October but it’s a long story I won’t get into now. I will say I think we’ll be happy in the new place, it’s really close to a place we can road ride, and only minutes to a trail we can ride on. So it should be a good move. Apart from the trailer loading.
Toodles and smoochies! xx