How to make vanilla flavoured salt. This DIY recipe is easy and perfect to give as a gift for the holidays!
So had a roller coaster ride of a day yesterday. Lots of ups and downs. Me and my daughter were going to go see Harry Potter but decided to see the Transformers movie instead. Turned out to be a good movie. Was a bit hesitant about it as the whole moon conspiracy idea was odd. But if you just put aside your disbelief and enjoy the ride it’s a great flick.
I just had to get out of the house yesterday. Life weighing on my mind right now. Luckily we have awesome friends who make sure we have lots of gift certificates for movies so we can get out of the house every now and then. Yesterday was one of those I need to escape days. If you don’t read my other blog (and why on earth aren’t you I might add!!!) then I will explain briefly what has me feeling blue. And trust me I don’t get blue often for someone who’s been through the ringer and back again in recent years. You may or may not know my hubs was laid off 3 years ago, worked in the auto industry. We thought it was like every other time they cried doom and gloom (my Dad worked at Ford’s for 30+ years so I’ve seen a lot of ups and downs with the auto industry in my life) and hubs would get called back. That it would be up and down for awhile then fine again. Well after a year it was apparent that things were different. We made the decision for hubs to go back to school for his engineering degree. I don’t work so we knew it would be tough. Cut to 2 years later and he is done school and cannot find a placement for his required 100 hours to finish off. Our savings is gone, we’re broke and life is getting really stressful. All extended benefits while he did his schooling will end in September. So imagine the stress. He has a part time job but it is not in his field nor does it pay enough to live off of. The school has been no help finding him something as our region just has nothing available. We may have to move but meanwhile both kids start University in about a month. Don’t even get me started on how we’re dealing with that. So while I just usually refuse to get down about it all, I believe it will work out and don’t think about the big picture too much. I’d fall apart if I did. But I keep getting people who want to know, they think they’re helping. So they ask the questions I have no answers to. What are we going to do? I don’t know, I really do not know. Usually I can shake it off. But for some reason this time it’s not working. In a horrible mood. It will pass, it always does.
So this will not be my usual chipper silly post. But I wanted to pop this up before I forget. I am still tweaking some more pics of it so I will add those later. For the time being I just wanted to pop this up.
I was reading Paula Deen’s magazine and stumbled on an article that I found intriguing. So I tried some of the stuff out. This is part one of five I believe. Enjoy.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 1 cup of sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
- In your food processor (or a blender would work) mix the salt and paste together. Place in an airtight container.
- Alternate method- cut open a vanilla bean and stick it in your salt shaker for a few days until the flavours come together.
- This can be used on seafood (ick) or fish, also on veggies. You can also use it in any dish that's sweet or in baking.
More Great DIY Recipes:
- Vanilla Brown Sugar from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Vanilla Sugar from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Vanilla Oats from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Homemade Vanilla Extract from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Cherry Extract from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Meyer Lemon Salt from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Meyer Lemon Sugar from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Old Fashioned Pink Popcorn from Cravings of a Lunatic
PIN THIS TO YOUR FAVOURITE DIY RECIPE BOARD!
This can be used on seafood, fish, or veggies. You can also use it in any dish where sweet and savoury are being combined. Have fun. Be imaginative. The possibilities are endless.
This is just such a cool idea. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
More Great Vanilla Flavoured Recipes:
- Roasted Strawberry Parfaits with Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Strawberries from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Vanilla Roasted Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Basic Vanilla Cake from Baked by an Introvert
- French Vanilla Ice Cream from Simply Recipes
Thanks for visiting today!
While you’re here please take a minute to follow me on Pinterest. I’m always pinning great recipes and fun DIY projects.
You should also follow me on Instagram. It’s a great way to stay up to date on all the latest and greatest blog recipes.