This slow cooker spare rib recipe is pure perfection. It’s easy to make and cooks on the low setting so the spare ribs are “fall off the bone” good. Bring your napkins and your appetite!
I love spare ribs. They are one of my favourite things to make, and coincidently, eat. These spare ribs are made in the slow cooker so they are no muss or fuss. Just a few ingredients and you have a fabulous dinner waiting for you at the end of the day.
My mom made the best spare ribs in the world. She always made hers in the pressure cooker. I love them cooked that way, but I can never get mine as perfect as my mom’s. Hers were fall off the bone tender. I have such fond memories of those ribs.
Until I absolutely perfect her pressure cooker recipe I will not share it on the blog. It’s too special and has to be perfect. I think I’ve perfected grilled ribs, baked ribs, smoked ribs, and slow cooker ribs. Yet I still have not perfected pressure cooker ribs.
I know, right. I’m admitting I’m not perfect. What a concept, right? It’s okay, I’m cool with you knowing I’m not the perfect cook. I’m a dang good cook but I think everyone has something they struggle with. Mine is pressure cookers.
Luckily I’m really skilled using slow cookers. It comes from years of practice, I can assure. I’m an old gal, I’m not a young, hip blogger. I’ve got kids who in their 20’s for crying out loud. That means a ton of hours clocked cooking dinners for the family.
My kids were crazy busy when they were in grade school and high school. They loved participating in school activities and played a ton of sports. Since they went to French Immersion school in another town so I did a ton of driving around to all their stuff.
I volunteered at school a few days a week, then I drove my kids and most of their buddies to after school sports. When we were done with sports we headed to the barn to see the horse. Most days we didn’t get home until about 7/8 pm.
My slow cooker got a lot of use during those days. I used it pretty much every day. It was the only way to ensure we had a home cooked meal every day. I made everything under the sun in my slow cooker, from ribs to pasta. Soups, stews, roasts, you name it, I’ve made it in a slow cooker.
Ribs are one of my favourites. They are also one of my daughter’s favourites as well. She loves ribs. She’s like her mom, she likes everything from slow cooker ribs to grilled ribs, her only dislike is smoked ribs. She’s not a big fan of smoked recipes.
I made these as a part of a “which spare ribs are your favourite” taste test with the family. I made a bunch of different kinds of ribs. These slow cooker ribs, also some Coca Cola Ribs and some Teriyaki Ribs as well. Everyone had a different favourite.
My daughter’s favourite were these Slow Cooker Ribs. She went nuts for these ribs. I can’t blame her, they are really amazing. She’s a sucker for BBQ Sauce slathered on ribs. It’s her favourite way to eat them so these were a hit with her.
I hope they’re as big of a hit with your family!
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 4 to 5 pounds pork side ribs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup Italian dressing
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Line the slow cooker with a slow cooker liner if desired.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine brown sugar, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Mix well, Add Italian dressing, and ¼ cup barbecue sauce, and mix again.
- Add one layer of ribs to the slow cooker at a time. If you need to trim your ribs to get them to fit it's okay. I don't recommend cutting them when grilling them or cooking them quickly, but for this recipe it's going to be so tender that cutting a slab in half to fit the slow cooker is okay. Scoop a big dollop of the sauce over that layer, then repeat with each layer. Ribs, sauce, ribs, sauce, that way each layer is covered in the sauce mixture.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for about 7 to 8 hours on low. Every slow cooker is a bit different so start checking yours at the 6 hour mark and make adjustments as needed. Mine took 7 hours to become fully tender.
- Remove from the slow cooker and drain excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the ribs on a baking sheet.
- In a medium size bowl combine the barbecue sauce and minced garlic. Mix well. Reserve ¼ cup of the sauce for when the ribs come out of the oven. Take the remaining ½ cup of sauce mixture and brush generously over the ribs, make sure to coat the tops and sides.
- Place the pan in the oven on the middle rack and cook in preheated 400 degree F oven for about 8 to 10 minutes. You want the sauce to just start to bubble and the edges of the ribs to brown slightly. It doesn't take long at all.
- Remove from the oven and pour the remaining sauce on while the ribs are hot.
- Place on a platter whole, or cut into smaller pieces if desired.
- Serve with a big old spare rib loving smile!
Sink your teeth into a batch of these bad boys!
I ate way too many of these. I do it every time I make them. I can’t help myself!
Want one? Or ten?
PIN THESE SPARE RIBS TO YOUR FAVOURITE SLOW COOKER BOARD!
I usually double batch this recipe so I can use the leftovers to make Rib Sliders. They are absolutely delicious. If you’re never had them you should try them immediately!