This scrumptious Chicken Enchilada Casserole is layered with corn tortillas, chicken, Poblano peppers, enchilada sauce, and cheese. It's a hit with everyone who tastes it.
This chicken enchilada casserole is a super easy recipe to make. It's packed with flavour, spice and cheese.
I had so much fun making this recipe. It's a Mexican inspired recipe using a 4-Cheese Mexican Blend, as well as corn tortillas, Poblano peppers, and chicken thighs.
Mexican cuisine is always my go-to for family gatherings. This particular recipe is always a hit for potlucks, family dinners and special events.
Since I love the taste of chicken thighs I knew they would bring a really intense flavour to this dish.
I bought skinless chicken thighs from the butcher and cut the meat off myself. Doing it myself meant controlling the size of the pieces perfectly.
My favourite skillet came out of the cupboard so I could cook up the chicken, along with some onions, Poblano peppers, and red peppers. I love using a skillet to saute chicken and vegetables. Works perfectly, and I love the even cooking it provides.
I made some Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce for this recipe. Making your own is easier than you think, plus you can flavour it the way you like.
This whole thing came together in about an hour or so. If you're pretty adept in the kitchen you can make it in around an hour.
If you plan well you can cut your cooking times down considerably. Always read every recipe a couple of times.
- Oil - I used olive oil for this casserole but you can substitute grapeseed, vegetable or canola.
- Chicken - Bone in chicken thighs are the best for flavour but you can substitute boneless skinless chicken breast if you prefer.
- Chile Peppers - This recipe uses Poblano and I highly recommend using them. Or you could use Anaheim peppers.
- Peppers - I used red bell peppers but you can also use yellow, orange or green.
- Onion - Sweet onions are used in this recipe. I love Vidalia onions but if sweet onions aren't available use Spanish onions.
- Salt and Pepper - The enchilada sauce is pretty spicy so you can go easy on adding spices to this recipe. Honestly, a little salt and pepper is all you need.
- Sauce - I made my own Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce but you can use store bought sauce if you don't want to make your own.
- Tortillas - Corn tortilla are preferred but I know they can be hard to find. I live in a small town and tracking them down here can be difficult. So substitute if you must.
- Cheese - I used a Mexican cheese blend but in all honestly use whatever cheese works for you.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Then, cut all the meat off the chicken thighs, discard any skin and bones, cut meat into small, even pieces.
- Next, cut up the veggies.
- Now, in a large skillet heat oil over medium heat and cook chicken till juices run clear.
- Then, add the poblanos, red peppers and onions and cook until meat is brown and veggies are soft. Add salt and pepper. Set chicken aside.
- Next, heat up the enchilada sauce.
- Place a first layer of tortillas in a casserole dish. Add one third of the chicken, ⅓ of the sauce and ⅓ of the cheese over top.
- Next, repeat for the second layer.
- And then repeat again for the third layer.
- Then, place the casserole dish in the oven and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Next, remove from the oven and slice.
- Finally, serve it up and enjoy!
Recipe for making your own enchilada sauce:
OTHER KICK ASS CASSEROLE RECIPES:
- Sloppy Joe Casserole
- Easy Cheesy Pasta Bake with Sausage and Peppers
- Smoked Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
- Easy Chili Cornbread Casserole
- Frito Pie
- Goulash aka American Chop Suey
- Other Great Casserole Recipes
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lbs bone-in chicken thighs trim all the skin and bone and discard (3 pounds of chicken thighs should equal just over 1 pound of meat)
- 2 medium Poblano peppers diced
- 2 medium red peppers diced
- ½ medium sweet onion diced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 10 ounces enchilada sauce
- 6 corn tortillas
- 8 oz Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut all the usable meat off of your chicken thighs. Discard any skin and bones. (tip: save chicken bones to make chicken stock or soup) Cut into small, even pieces.
- Cut up all the vegetables.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the juices run clear. Add the diced poblano peppers, diced red peppers, and diced onions to the pan. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the chicken starts to brown and the vegetables are soft. Add salt and pepper, stir until well combined. Remove the chicken mixture from the pan. Set aside.
- Heat up the enchilada sauce in a saucepan over medium heat. Set aside.
- In a casserole dish line two corn tortillas on the bottom, they can overlap slightly if needed.
- Spoon ⅓ of the chicken mixture over the corn tortillas.
- Pour ⅓ of the enchilada sauce over the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle ⅓ of the cheese over top the enchilada sauce.
- Repeat all layers two more times.
- Place casserole dish in the oven and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and slice immediately.
- Serve with a big old cheese loving smile!
Thanks for visiting today!
If you're looking for more casserole recipes be sure to check out my recipe index. There are lots of great recipes for dinner, or dessert. Take your time and peruse to your heart's content. Bring your appetite!
Make sure you follow me on Pinterest and Instagram while you're here. It's a great way to keep up to date on all the new recipes on the blog. Everything gets shared to social media so it's the perfect way to stay current.
Have a delicious day!