This easy steak and peppers recipe is loaded with peppers, onion and shallots. It is a one pot meal that is absolutely perfect for weekdays or weekends.
Okay, I will admit I have a slight obsession with steak. It may run deeper than a slight obsession at this point. I just cannot help myself. Perfectly cooked steak combined with onions, shallots, and tons of peppers. Who could possibly resist? Not me.
I feel like my readers must think we live like kings and queens. We really don’t. I just tend to buy beef in bulk, then I’m suppose to freeze it and space it out so we save money. That’s the master plan. However I stink at following the master plan. I get obsessed with eating all the steak right away. So we’ll eat a bunch of steak for a few days, then we live on pasta for eons until we can afford more steak again.
I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. I have zero self-control when it comes to steak. If it’s in the house I must eat it. Honestly if I had a nickel for every time someone has woken up in the middle of the night to find me frying or grilling up a steak I’d be a rich woman. And then I could buy more steak.
This recipe is super easy to make. I’m not a patient woman. Particularly when it comes to steak. I want it quick so I can shove it in my face as fast as humanly possible. I’m like a steak ninja. If eating steak was a sport I’d win gold in the Steak Olympics. See, you aim high, people. Shoot for the steak shaped stars.
You could totally take the extra time to caramelize the onions completely if you like. I was hungry so I was content cooking them a little less for this. You can also toss in any colour of peppers, or even use some hot ones to jazz it up more. Whatever works for your taste buds.
This is something I make a lot. I’m not sure I ever make it quite the same way. It’s one of those pantry type meals, the kind where you just open all the doors in the kitchen and pull out what’s there then have at it. Those meals are always fun to make.
Feel free to add some heat to this too. Red pepper flakes would be lovely. Even some chili powder or chipotle spice. I’m a garlic lover so I’ll add fresh garlic if I have it.
You can eat this on its own just like this. Or you can use it over rice or noodles like a classic stir fry. Do what works for you. Adapting recipes to your own taste is part of the fun of cooking, get creative and put your own spin on things.
Other Steak Obsessed Recipes:
- Steak Sandwiches
- Steak Fajitas with Drunken Peppers
- Beef Stir Fry
- Sheet Pan Steak and Waffle Fries Nachos
- Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Provolone Cheese
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chipotle Butter
- Steak Bites from Kiss My Smoke
- Grilled Steak Salad
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
Easy Steak and Peppers
- 3 tbsp canola oil , divided
- 1 large sweet onion , sliced thinly
- 1 lb flank steak , sliced thinly across the grain)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 3 shallots , sliced thinly
- 2 red peppers , sliced thinly
- 2 orange peppers , sliced thinly
- 2 yellow peppers , sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Tamari sauce , use a thicker sauce if you can find it
- In a large skillet heat up 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Toss in the onions and a dash of salt. Cook onions for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. You want them cooked so they are translucent but not caramelized. Transfer them to a plate. Set aside.
- Now in the same skillet add another tablespoon of oil and bring to a high heat. Cook the beef for about 3 to 4 minutes, until browned perfectly. It helps to cook them in smaller batches so you don't overcrowd the pan. You'll get a better sear on them meat. Continue until all the meat is cooked, you can place them on a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan add the last 1 tablespoon of oil and bring to a medium-high heat. Drop in the peppers and shallots and cook until the peppers soften up. It should take about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Now toss the onions, and beef back in the pan, add the tamari sauce and cook for about 3 minutes, mixing everything thoroughly.
- This can be served solo, or with rice.
- Serve with a big old peppery smile!
So today I am heading to Miami for the Blogher Food Conference. A little fun in the sun, a lot of foodie silliness and some serious learning during some great sessions. Not going to lie I’m stressed to the max to travel with my IBS. So wish me luck I make it to Miami without incident. I’m sure there will be lots of embarrassing photos to entertain you.
Thanks for visiting today!
While you’re here please take a minute to follow me on Pinterest. I’m always pinning great recipes and fun DIY projects.
You should also follow me on Instagram. It’s a great way to stay up to date on all the latest and greatest blog recipes.