Thai Cucumber Salad is the perfect side dish for any occasion. It is incredibly quick and easy to make but packs a serious flavour punch!
This super quick and incredibly easy Thai Cucumber Salad is a staple in our household. With only a few ingredients, I can easily whip this up for lunch or dinner.
My youngest son is a serious cucumber fanatic! I'm always looking for fun and tasty ways to serve cucumbers as often as possible. I'm cool like that!
I figure if you have a kid who loves veggies you should do a happy dance and make veggie dishes every flipping day. Am I right?
Both of my hooligans love fruits and vegetables. I'll admit I'm more of a fruit lover but I dig veggie recipes too. We are the kind of family who serves 4 sides with every meal.
No joke, man. If you ask anyone who has been lucky enough to have dinner at our house they will tell you we average 4-5 sides per protein.
This Thai cucumber salad also got rave reviews. You need to give this a try as soon as possible!
- Vinegar - I used rice vinegar in this recipe. You can find it in most grocery stores.
- Sugar - A little sugar helps balance this recipe perfectly.
- Oil - Sesame oil is the perfect option for this salad.
- Thai Chile Pepper - These little peppers pack a serious punch so start with a little and work your way up. You can always add more, but you can't take away heat easily so err on the side of caution.
- Cucumber - I used an english cucumbers for mine, but feel free to substitute Persian cucumbers or any cucumber you prefer. You can use spiral cut or cucumber slices.
- Shallots - Personally, I love the flavour of shallots as it tastes like garlic and onions combined. Feel free to use red onion or green onions if you prefer those.
- Spices - I highly recommend that you sprinkle a little red pepper flakes over this cucumber salad. You can also add salt and pepper if you like.
- Optional Herbs and Add in's - Feel free to add fresh cilantro if you like the taste. You can also stir in fresh squeezed lime juice. Or chop up a small red onion for added crunch.
How to Make Thai Cucumber Salad:
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, oil and Thai chile pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Next, in a separate bowl, combine the cucumbers, shallots and red pepper flakes. Use a spoon to mix well.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the cucumber mixture. Toss to coat evenly.
- Place in the fridge to keep cool until you are ready to eat.
How to Store Thai Cucumber Salad:
- Store the Thai cucumber salad recipe in an airtight container. Be sure to remove as much air as possible. Place the container in the refrigerator. Cucumber salad will keep in the fridge for about 3 to 5 days.
- Keep in mind that the longer it sits in the fridge the softer the veggies will become and the colour may change a bit. If you're serving this for a party or potluck I would recommend serving it within 24 hours of making it for the best flavour and texture.
- If you store the salad ingredients in mini mason jars you can serve this at a picnic or potluck. Just be sure to keep the jars chilled until serving.
Other Fabulous Side Dishes:
- Lemon Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Balsamic Roasted Baby Carrots
- Skillet Asparagus with Lime Butter
- Honey Glazed Carrots
- Farro with Dried Cherries and Pistachios
- Maple Roasted Acorn Squash with Bacon
- Roasted Carrots with Honey and Pistachios
- Spicy Chipotle Skillet Corn with Bacon
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
Thai Cucumber Salad
- Combine rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil and red Thai chile pepper in a small mixing bowl. Use a whisk to mix the ingredients really well.
- In another small bowl, combine the cucumber, shallots and red pepper flakes. Use a wooden spoon to mix well.
- Pour liquid mixture over cucumber mixture. Toss until cucumbers are coated well. Place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve in a bowl or on a platter!
Thanks for visiting today!