Some days you just want a burger that’s dripping with toppings. This one fits the bill. Huge beef patties topped with caramelized onions, drizzled with barbecue sauce, loaded down with melted mozzarella and piles of bacon. You’re going to want to sink your teeth into this bad boy. If you can get your hands around this massive burger first! Good luck!
I love a great burger. They just scream summer to me. This incredible burger is no exception. It is one of my favourite burgers. I have a thing for beef, not going to lie. I love beef over any other meat. So when it comes time to whip up a great burger I always start with great quality beef.
The second thing I reach for when making burgers is onions. I’m a total sucker for caramelized onions. I cannot get enough of them. If there’s a way to top every dish with caramelized onions I am going to find each and every way. It’s my life’s mission. Well that and finding out why American Pepsi and Canadian Pepsi taste so different. But I digress.
We’re also suckers for a specific type of mozzarella cheese here at the B household. We love that pizza mozzarella stores are selling now. Saputo makes a mozzarellissima that is to die for. Any excuse to slap that stuff on a recipe is going to be taken. It melts beautifully on pizza and lasagna, but it’s also wicked good on things like burgers or grinders. Trust me, I know my melty cheese, people.
If you want to top a burger with the perfect ingredient you need to reach for bacon. Whether you use candied bacon or regular bacon, it’s going to take your burger from plain to perfection in one small step. Bacon makes everything better. My motto lately is #baconallthethings! It’s a good motto to have. Especially during bacon month.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
Grilled Burger with Caramelized Onions, Mozzarella and Bacon
For the Patties:
- 1.5 kg of ground beef don't go too lean or you will have brick like burgers, fat is good in burgers
- 1 cup of Italian Bread Crumbs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Caramelized Onions:
- 1 large sweet vidalia onion, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons butter
For the Toppings:
- Mozzarellissima Cheese regular mozzarella will suffice, I used about 1 cup or so, thinly sliced
- Caramelized Onions
- Barbecue Sauce use your favourite
- Bacon use as much or as little as you like (Candied Bacon would be the bomb on these)
- 1 package of hamburger buns
- Preheat your grill to a medium heat.
- Pre-cook bacon or make it on the grill. I microwaved my batch for these. Lay paper towels on a plate, then lay a layer of bacon, lay another paper towel over top, add another layer of bacon and pop in the microwave to cook for about 3 to 5 minutes depending on how much bacon you are using, the thickness of it, and how well done you like your bacon.
- Use a cast iron skillet for the onions to cook on the grill.
- Make sure your cast iron pan is pre-seasoned, very important.
- Scoop the butter into the cast iron pan, then toss in the onions. Cook over the grill on medium heat until the onions go golden brown, which can take 10 to 15 minutes. If you want to speed it up use a touch of brown sugar. Stir them often to keep from sticking, and add extra butter if necessary. Make sure you are being safe and do not touch the cast iron pan with your hands. I leave the handle sticking out so it's not actually over direct heat. And I also have a cast iron pan handle cover which helps keep people from grabbing the hot handle by mistake.
- While your onions are caramelizing you can start working on your burgers.
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef and the italian bread crumbs. Mix lightly so the crumbs just work into the ground beef enough to be evenly mixed. Do not over-work ground beef when making burgers, it makes them tough.
- Now shape them into large patties. Mine made 6 large burgers and 4 tiny mini-me size burgers (she likes hers super small and super thin). Again, do not over-work your meat, just shape them slightly and don't over-pack too tightly.
- Now press your thumb into one side in the middle so you leave a small indent.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper now.
- Pop those bad boys on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes on the first side. Then add your cheese and cook for about 4 minutes on that side. If you like your burgers to still moo shave off some time and cook them for about 2 minutes on each side. We tend to be well done, and medium folks here. If mini-me sees blood it's bad news.
- Another tip that helps when grilling is not to over do the turning. People flip too much. Don't be an extreme flipper. It's not good. For you or your meat.
- Now take your onions and your burgers inside.
- Set out all your condiments and have at it.
- I did bottom bun, hamburger pattie, barbecue sauce, caramelized onions (lots), bacon (lots) and then my top bun. It was delightfully huge and delicious!
- Enjoy with a big old I can barely get my hands around this thing smile!
I could not shove this in my pie hole fast enough. This burger is amazeballs. All those layers of yummy combined is pure heaven. You will end up eating three or four of these things. I know I did.
For all you bacon junkies out there, check out all these bacon goodies:
Make sure you stop by all the other bacon month participants blogs to see what they whipped up for you!
‘); // ]]>
Toodles and bacon smoochies! xx
ps. I don’t work with or for Saputo, I just really like their cheese.