This Grilled Sausage with Peppers and Onions Recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner. Sausage and peppers is always a real crowd pleaser!
I'm a sucker for grilled sausage with peppers and onions. Honestly, sausage and peppers are one of my favourite things to eat for dinner.
There's something about the combination of sausage, peppers, and onions that just makes me so happy! Seriously, I could eat this all the live long day.
This recipe can made on a grill, smoker or on your stovetop. Heck, you can even pop the pan in the oven and cook them that way if you like. It's an easily adaptable recipe.
Feel free to add anything else you like to these. Garlic is a nice addition. You could go bonkers and add chili to these too. Just don't blame me if you get a bit gassy.
When it comes to recipes like this I think a little gas is okay. It's worth it.
Like my grand-dad used to always says "wherever you may be let your wind blow free!"
- Sausages - I used Italian sausages for this recipe but you can use whatever kind you like. Personally, I'm a huge fan of Bratwurst.
- Buns - For this recipe, I used sausage buns but you can also use soft rolls.
- Onions - Vidalia onions are always my go to onion for this recipe but you can use any sweet or Spanish onion.
- Oil - I used olive oil but feel free to substitute any other oil you like.
- Peppers - I'm a sucker for jarred roasted red peppers. You can use fresh peppers if you prefer.
- Spices - Salt and pepper are the only spices I used for this recipe. Red pepper flakes would be lovely on these for some added kick.
How to Make Grilled Sausages with Peppers and Onions:
- First, preheat your grill to medium heat. Make sure the grill grates are clean before cooking.
- Reduce grill to medium-low heat.
- Place a cast iron pan on the grill, and add the olive oil and onions to the pan. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring stirring occasionally.
- About 5 minutes before the onions are perfectly cooked you can add the roasted red peppers to the pan. Continue to cook until peppers are crisp on edges.
- Then, add salt and pepper.
- Next, remove the cast iron pan carefully from the grill. Transfer the peppers and onion to a plate lined with paper towels so you can drain off any excess oil.
- Transfer the sausages on the grill. Grill each side for about 2 to 3 minutes, until it's golden and has some beautiful char marks on the sides. Remove from grill and turn grill off.
- Place each sausage on each bun and then pile the caramelized onion and roasted red pepper mixture over top.
More Grilling Recipes:
Smoked Cheez Its from Kiss My Smoke
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Grilled Sausage with Peppers and Onions
- Preheat your grill to medium heat. Make sure the grill grates are clean.
- Reduce one side to medium-low heat.
- Place a cast iron pan with the olive oil and onions inside of it on the medium-low side of the grill. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring from time to time, you want the onions to start to turn golden but not burn. Don't cook on high or you will just burn them. You want them soft, with crispy edges. About 5 minutes before the onions are perfect, add the roasted red peppers to the pan. Continue to cook and stir until they start to cook around the edges. Toss with salt and pepper.
- Remove from grill very carefully (remember that pan is scorching hot so use mitts). Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels so you can drain off excess oil.
- Place the Italian Sausage on the grill. Grill each side for about 2 to 3 minutes, until it's golden and has some beautiful char marks on the sides. Remove from grill and turn grill off
- Place each sausage on each bun (you can toast them lightly if you like prior) and then pile the caramelized onion and roasted red pepper mixture over top.
- These can be made on the grill or the stovetop.
- You can adjust the quantity of the peppers and onions if you desire.
- Adding fresh garlic is a great addition.
- If you want to jazz these up try brushing bbq sauce on the sausages.
Thanks for visiting today!
While you’re here please take a minute to follow me on Pinterest. I’m always pinning great recipes and fun DIY projects.
You should also follow me on Instagram. It’s a great way to stay up to date on all the latest and greatest blog recipes.