This One Pot Pasta with Sausage, Peppers, and Apples is the perfect dinner recipe with minimal effort and clean up.
This easy one pot pasta recipe uses sliced sausages, red and yellow peppers, plus Gala apples, and Granny Smith apples. Since it’s all made in one pot it’s incredibly quick and easy to make, plus there won’t be a ton of dishes to clean up!
Honestly, this pasta is going to blow your mind. Not only is it easy to make but it’s incredibly flavourful.
This pasta recipe is just different enough to challenge your taste buds, and entice them at the same time. It’s not your average pasta. This is top notch pasta yet it’s quick and easy!
Initially, I was going to make a complicated pasta with homemade noodles and the whole nine yards. Then, I realized most of my readers are much like me. They LOVE easy recipes. So, I switched gears and decided to make a one pot recipe anyone could make easily.
Not only will this recipe impress your family and friend but they will think you spent all day cooking this.
Honestly, they will be so happy and grateful you made this for them they may throw bags of money at you. It’s that good. It’s the Magic Mike of the pasta world.
Whip this up as soon as you can. You can customize it to your own tastes, but honestly I wouldn’t change a thing.
This recipe is sheer perfection. The flavours all meld together and each bite is pure bliss. So, now that I think about it, do not change one single thing!
Why Make this One Pot Pasta
- First of all, it’s wicked easy to make.
- Secondly, it doesn’t take long to cook.
- Lastly, one pot recipes make clean up so easy. Less dishes are always a good thing!
- Oil – I used olive oil for this recipe but you could use grapeseed oil, avocado oil or canola oil.
- Bacon – Any bacon will do for this recipe. Thick cut bacon tends to my go to.
- Sausage – For this recipe, I used gluten free chicken sausage. Use whatever kind you like.
- Onion – Personally, I prefer sweet onions for pasta. Vidalia are great but if you can’t find sweet onions then Spanish onions will suffice.
- Peppers – Red and yellow bell peppers were used in this pasta recipe. You can mix it up and use whatever colour you like.
- Apples – I used Granny Smith and Gala for this recipe. Again, you can substitute any apple you prefer.
- Salt and Pepper – This recipe has a ton of flavour so I kept the spices to a minimum.
- Broth – For this recipe, I used gluten-free vegetable broth. Feel free to swap out with any kind of broth you prefer. Chicken would ideal.
- Pasta – I used a gluten-free penne for this one pot pasta. Lots of companies are now making wonderful GF pasta.
- Cheese – My cheese of choice for this pasta is Parmigiano-Reggiano. It’s sublime!
How to Make
- First, cook the bacon, then remove it and chop it up.
- Second, cook the sausage, as well as the onion in the same pan.
- Then, toss in the peppers and apples, add salt and pepper, and cook for a few minutes.
- Next add the broth and penne noodles and give it a stir. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Cover and reduce heat. Cook for about 7 to 8 minutes more. Check midway through to make sure it doesn’t stick.
- Then, remove the lid and toss in the cheese. Pop the cover back on and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir. Add more cheese if you like.
- Serve with even more cheese!
Other Pasta Recipes:
- Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Pasta
- Pizza Pasta
- Skillet Lasagna
- Penne with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Smoked Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
- Brown Butter Garlic Parmesan Pasta
- Goulash aka American Chop Suey
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
One Pot Pasta with Sausage, Peppers, and Apples
- 2 tbsp olive oil more as needed
- 1/4 lb bacon cut into small cubes
- 1 lb chicken sausage cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 large sweet onion diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium yellow pepper diced
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple skin left on, diced
- 1 medium Gala apple skin left on, diced
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 4 1/2 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 12 oz gluten free penne pasta
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese grated
- In a medium to large size dutch oven, or saucepan, add the olive oil and bacon. Turn the burner on medium heat and cook until the bacon starts to turn slightly brown around the edges. This should take about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Toss in the sliced sausages and onion into the pan, continue cooking over medium heat for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the sausage is perfectly browned and the onions are starting to turn a golden colour. Add more olive oil, if needed.
- Toss the peppers and apples into the pan. Add some salt and pepper. Continue cooking over medium heat for about 4 or 5 minutes. Just enough time for the peppers and apples to brown slightly. Add more olive oil, if needed.
- Add 4 and 1/2 cups of vegetable broth to the pan, then add penne. Stir until everything is mixed thoroughly. Be sure the liquid covers the pasta. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, and reduce heat to medium low. Allow to cook for about 7 to 8 minutes. Check once to make sure it's cooking but not sticking.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Remove the lid and toss in the cheese. Place cover back on the pan. Let stand for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir until everything is combined. Add more cheese, if desired.
- Serve with a big old pasta loving smile.
Thanks for visiting today!