This Skillet Asparagus with Lime Butter is the perfect side dish for asparagus lovers. It's quick, easy and utterly delicious!
This is a tasty side dish that gets rave reviews. My family voted it the Best Asparagus Ever!
I didn't eat asparagus until about 25 years ago. My sister introduced me to it when she visited us in 2007.
We were enjoying some sister time by hitting the local farm stands. We do not have a local farmers market but we live in a small town surrounded by farm stands on the back roads.
She was on the hunt for local corn on the cob but it was a tad too early in the year for it. She found some asparagus and asked if I liked it. I had no idea how to cook it or how it tasted.
My sister was in complete shock. I mean, I'm a foodie so how did I not know how to cook it. She was determined to make me a believer. So, she set out to teach me a new recipe.
I'll tell you this with complete honesty, my sister is a FAR better cook than I am. She is incredibly talented in the kitchen!
Deb taught me how to roast it in the oven, with butter. I quickly learned butter is asparagus's bestie.
It was a thing of beauty. Taste buds were exploding with happiness. I kept going back for more and more.
Seriously, I cannot thank my sister enough. I can't thank her enough for a lot of things but that list is too long for today.
I mean who doesn't love asparagus with butter? No one. That's who.
- Olive Oil - Use a good quality olive oil for this recipe. Or you can use avocado oil, coconut oil or grapeseed oil
- Asparagus - We prefer fresh thin asparagus spears but you can use whatever you like. If you like thicker spears, that's okay. Use what you love.
- Butter - You can use salted or unsalted butter in this recipe. Either work.
- Lime - This recipe uses lime zest and lime juice. It adds such a great flavour to the dish. I love lemon juice too but for this recipe I recommend using fresh limes. Trust me!
- Spices - I used red pepper flakes and salt for this one. I wanted to keep it simple so the lime and red pepper flakes took center stage. You can add garlic or parmesan cheese to it if you like but I wanted a simple asparagus recipe.
How to Make Skillet Asparagus with Lime Butter:
- Begin by washing the stalks. Trim asparagus with a knife or by snapping the ends off. Discard ends.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Add the asparagus and use tongs to toss so the olive oil coats all the spears evenly.
- Place a lid on top of the skillet and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for another 5 or 6 minutes, turning as it cooks. Once it is cooked through and tender you can remove, and transfer to a serving dish.
- Heat the butter in the skillet on the stove, OR in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl. Then, add the lime zest and lime juice. Stir then pour over the asparagus.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes over top. Then add a dash of salt.
How to Store Leftover Asparagus:
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
Cooked asparagus can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for 6 to 8 months.
How to Reheat Asparagus:
Place pan on the stove over medium-heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is warm, add the asparagus and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until warmed through.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Transfer the leftover asparagus to a baking dish and drizzle about one tablespoon of olive oil over top. Place pan in oven and cook for about 5 minutes, or until heated through.
Transfer leftovers to a microwave safe plate or platter. Drizzle with a little water or oil, then heat in the microwave for about 30 to 60 seconds.
More Side Dish Recipes:
- Thai Cucumber Salad
- 10 Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Balsamic Roasted Baby Carrots
- Bow Tie Pasta Salad
- Lemon Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Instagram ~ YouTube ~ Kiss My Smoke
Skillet Asparagus with Lime Butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Lime zest from 1 lime
- Lime juice from 1 lime
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt to taste
- Wash asparagus and snap off the ends. Discard ends.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add asparagus and use tongs to stir thoroughly to coat all the stalks evenly with oil.
- Place a lid over top of the pan cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove lid and set aside. Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often to cook all sides evenly. Remove from pan and place on serving dish.
- Whisk hot butter, lime zest, and lime juice together in a small bowl. Pour over asparagus. Toss to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and salt.
- Serve with a big old asparagus loving smile!
Thanks for visiting today!
If you’re looking for more dinner recipes be sure to check out my recipe index. You can also find a lot more side dish recipes as well.
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest while you’re here. I love pinning great recipes! Also, make sure you follow me on Instagram. It’s a great way to stay up to date with the blog.
This looks so tasty and full of flavor! The perfect side-dish!
Marie | Yay! For Food
I love asparagus, especially this time of the year where it is so abundant! The flavours sounds so good! I always tend to use lemons with asparagus, but next time I am going to use lime!
I love asparagus and this sounds amazing with the lime juice and butter. Definitely going give this a try!
I love this preparation of asparagus. I usually just roast them.
This recipe is freakin awesome! I always have lime - we are a crazy household obsessed with lime. haha so this recipe is so perfect! Time to hit the farmers market this weekend!
This looks absolutely delicious. YUM. So simple too. Flavorful!
We all love asparagus and I usually add a touch of lemon. Why have I never tried lime?? Looks awesome!
Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
I've heard of lemon butter, but lime butter? I SO need to try this!
Alyssa @ Everyday Maven
What a great side dish! I love the addition of the lime.
Erin @ Texanerin Baking
I'm not familiar with that butter but I'm going to go check it out now! Sounds great. And I think it's so funny that you're an asparagus fanatic. What a thing to be fanatic over. 😀
Megan @ MegUnprocessed
Asparagus are my favorite!!
Wow so Easy to make. Very Flavorful. My Husband Loved It.
I will make it again.
Hi Paula. I'm so happy your hubby loved it. It's my favourite asparagus recipe ever so I'm so thrilled to hear you liked it. Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know. I really appreciate it. Have a great week.