This Skillet Caramel Apple Crisp is the perfect easy dessert recipe for everyday, special occasions or holidays.
This post has been sponsored by SweeTango. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thanks to all the companies, and readers, who help support Cravings of a Lunatic.
I'm such a sucker for apple crisp. My Mom used to make it for all of us kids and we always went crazy for it. We could never get enough of it!
My Mom never used oats in her apple crisp. She made a sweet candy coating which still makes me weak in the knees every time I make it.
For this skillet apple crisp recipe, I wanted to make a more classic apple crisp. One I could pile tons of caramel sauce and ice cream on top of. The more the better!
I made this recipe for my friends at SweeTango. Their apples are seriously incredible. I stock up on them so I have plenty for Fall and Winter.
You can find my recipe for this Skillet Caramel Apple Crisp on the SweeTango website.
- Apples - I used medium size SweeTango apples for this recipe. You can use any apple you like, or use a variety of apples. Mixing tart and sweet apples always results in a tasty apple crisp. Granny Smith apples are a great tart apple for baking. Be sure to peel them before baking.
- Sugar - This recipe uses granulated white sugar and brown sugar. You can use either light brown sugar or dark brown sugar in this particular recipe. The dark brown sugar has a higher molasses content so it will be a bit richer and sweeter.
- Spices - I used ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt for this recipe. You can adjust the amounts to your own taste. You can add cloves if you like, but we're not huge fans of it.
- Caramels - Individually wrapped caramels like Kraft caramels work really well in this recipe. Just remember to unwrap them.
- Flour - I used all purpose flour for this apple crisp recipe.
- Oats - Quick rolled oats or old-fashioned oats work really well in apple crisp. You can find them at any grocery store.
- Butter - Either salted or unsalted butter will work in this recipe. Use whichever you prefer.
- Additional Toppings - You can top this caramel apple crisp with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or caramel sauce.
How to Make Skillet Caramel Apple Crisp:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Then spray the inside of your cast iron skillet with non-stick spray or use wax paper to line the inside with butter. Set the pan aside.
- For the filling, combine apples, granulated sugar, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg in a large bowl, mix well. Transfer to the prepared cast iron skillet and set that aside.
- For the crumb topping, grab another large bowl and combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oats, salt, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg, mix well. Add the melted butter and mix again. Spoon mixture over the apple filling portion that's already in the cast iron pan. Smooth it out with a spoon.
- Place pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes. The top should be golden brown and bubbly when it's done.
- Remove the pan carefully from the oven.
- Slice, serve warm or allow it to cool. It's really good warm with ice cream and extra caramel sauce over top!
How to Store Apple Crisp:
- Once the apple crisp is cooled you can store it in an airtight container on the counter for a day or so.
- It can also be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days in an airtight container.
- Apple crisp can also be frozen for up to 3 months when stored correctly. Place the leftovers in an airtight container, then place a layer or two of plastic wrap over the top to seal it so no air get at it. Place the lid on tightly and place the container in the freezer.
Do NOT store the apple crisp in the cast iron in the fridge or freezer. Always allow it to cool and transfer it to a container!
How to Reheat Apple Crisp:
Apple crisp can be reheated and tastes amazing. It is one of those desserts that tastes better the next day. Some people like theirs at room temperature but I prefer mine reheated.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Transfer the apple crisp to a baking dish and drizzle a little water or melted butter over top of it. Then cover the baking dish with foil and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until heated all the way through. Remove from the oven and serve.
- Transfer apple crisp to a microwave safe bowl or dish. Drizzle a little water over top or add a small pat of butter to it. Place the baking dish in the microwave and cook for about 2 to 4 minutes, depending on how much you are heating up. I recommend checking it every 30 seconds after the first minutes or so.
More Apple Recipes:
Some Interesting Info About SweeTango Apples:
- Origin of SweeTango Apples: SweeTango’s distinct taste, texture, and quality stem from careful breeding, expert horticultural practices, and meticulously selected growing locations. Apple breeders at the University of Minnesota crossed the sweet Honeycrisp and the tangy Zestar! apple varieties to create SweeTango. Using a manual, painstaking process, research scientists cross-pollinated these parent apple varieties just like bees, birds, butterflies, wind, and rain do in nature. A new variety of apple to many, the first crop of SweeTango reached grocery stores nationwide in 2009.
- SweeTango is a “managed variety”. This means only select apple growers are allowed to grow the apple, using consistent methods for growing, harvest, picking and storage. This ensures a consistent premium eating experience.
- Holds the Guinness World Record for “Loudest Crunch of an Apple” (March 2016)
The bite produced a crunch that clocked in at a remarkable 79.1 decibels. For reference, a whisper is in the 30-decibel range, and normal conversation registers at about 60 decibels.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Skillet Caramel Apple Crisp
For the Filling:
For the Topping:
Optional for Serving:
- ice cream
- caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Then, coat the inside of your cast iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray or butter. Set the pan aside.
For the Filling:
- Combine apples, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Use a spoon to stir really well to coat apple slices evenly. Then, transfer the mixture to the prepared skillet. Randomly place the unwrapped caramels over top of apple mixture.
For the Topping:
- Combine flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oats, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in another large bowl. Use a spoon to stir until the ingredients are combined well. Pour in the melted butter and stir really well. Then, spoon the mixture over top of the apple-caramel mixture in skillet. Use the back a spoon to smooth the topping.
- Place skillet in preheated 350 degrees F oven and bake for approximately 40 – 45 minutes. Remove from oven when top is golden brown and apples start to bubble up around the edges of the pan.
- You can serve caramel apple crisp when it’s warm, room temperature or cold. I highly recommend serving it topped with a good quality vanilla ice cream and drizzled with caramel sauce.
- Serve while warm or allow to cool. Personally, we love ours served warm with ice cream over top!
Thanks for visiting today!