Pink Popcorn

Old fashioned pink candy popcorn, it’s seriously delicious and reminds me of my childhood. I hope you love it as much as I do!

Pink Popcorn | Cravings of a Lunatic | #pinkpopcorn #pink #popcorn #candy #snacks

HAPPY EARLY VALENTINE’S DAY FOLKS!

I wanted to post this tomorrow but I was just too excited to wait. So you get an early V-Day gift.

You’re welcome!

As you know I have been on a popcorn kick of epic proportions lately. I have two more saved up to show you. There’s Turtle Popcorn, then Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild. It was too good not to Lunatic it. I mean Turtle Popcorn is awesome, but Kim it up a bit and it’s popcorn gone wild for sure. Cannot wait to show them to you. One will go up tonight then the other the night after that. In the meantime you can look at my Chocolate Cake Popcorn or just sit and stare at this Pink Candy Popcorn all day. It’s so purty! It makes me all happy! And a happy Lunatic is a good thing for everyone.

Okay so I was perusing popcorn the other night as I was not happy with a recipe I got out of a cookbook for one of the popcorns.  I happened upon this little beauty. I swear to all that is pink I fell in love immediately. This brings back memories for me folks. Big time. You see I am a Canuck, through and through, (except for the hockey, cuz I hate it, me and Canada agree to disagree on this one) and as a Canuck I grew up eating Lucky Elephant Pink Candy Popcorn. This stuff was such a treat. Always being a pink girl I used to love eating this stuff.

Lucky Elephant Pink Candy Popcorn
Photo Source: Google

If you have never had it you are missing out folks. A gazillion times better than caramel corn. I mean it’s flipping PINK! I searched for a recipe close enough to it and found one at Nan’s Recipe Spot. There are tons of pink popcorn recipes out there but this is the one that drew my eye and I loved reading about her memories of it. So instead of using a source with no emotional attachment to the popcorn I chose to use one that had a personal story behind it. So huge thank you to Nan for the inspiration and the story behind your popcorn.

Speaking of personal stories may I just tell you I abhor Valentine’s Day. It is so crazy how much the retail industry milks it. So dudes let me just tell you a secret, your wife or girlfriend could care less about a grand gesture, or jewelry. She wants you to do the dishes, or take the dog for a walk, or help the kids do homework for a day so she can do one of the other gazillion things she does in a day. Take her out for dinner, or make her dinner. That’s the stuff most of us ladies want. Do not give us a ring or necklace or any other item your secretary or mom or the lady who flirted with you at the jewelry store to get a commission picked out for you. That’s not romance! If you genuinely pick something out yourself great. But if not forgo the fancy gesture and make some spaghetti and put the kids to bed after reading them a bed time story. That’ll score points and maybe you’ll get lucky tonight. If not pop a batch of this and watch some hockey on TV!

Old Fashioned Pink Popcorn

Yield: 12 cups

Cute and tasty Pink Popcorn Recipe!

• 12 cups popped popcorn (the original calls for 6 quarts but I wanted less popcorn, more candy)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2/3 cup whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons corn syrup
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 to 3 small drops of red food coloring (do not use gel, my first batch was too dark from it, I prefer the liquid for this particular recipe. Go light and work from there.)

• Pop up your popcorn. I did mine on the stove old school style. Which for those of you who only do microwave popcorn means you pour some oil in a large stock pot, let the oil get hot, then place popcorn kernels in the bottom and cover with a lid. Then you wait for the magic to happen. Swish the pot around from time to time to keep things from burning and do not go too hot. You want a medium heat or you’ll scorch it.
  • Set popcorn aside.
  • In a saucepan combine your sugar, milk, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat until your sugar dissolves.
  • Now you want it at a low boil until the temperature reaches 230 degrees which is known as soft ball stage. If you do not have a thermometer you can grab a glass of super cold water, drop a little of the mixture in it, now grab that mixture with your fingers and if it forms a ball in the water then flattens out after it’s out of the water that is soft ball stage. You can probably find videos of this online if you aren’t quite sure what this all means.
  • Stir occasionally until it reaches soft ball stage and then remove from heat, and add your vanilla and food coloring. Stir well.
  • Now put your popcorn in a large bowl or even a big roasting pan. You want to have ample room to stir it really well.
  • Now pour your pink mixture over top and stir well to coat.
  • Now line a cookie sheet with parchment and transfer the popcorn to that to let it dry out.
  • Try not to eat a boatload while waiting for it to cool. Impossible, trust me!
  • Serve with a big old pink grin!

Recipe Source: Nan's Recipe Spot

You can use regular salt in this recipe, or make some yummy Vanilla Salt!

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Tips and Hints:

Never pour piping hot candy mixture right over popcorn. Same principle as butter. If you pour if over while it’s still boiling it will shrink and shrivel your popcorn.

I did half the amount of popcorn so feel free to use the original amount.

I did double the corn syrup but feel free to adjust.

I used normal corn syrup not white. Never seen white.

I ate a ton of it, you do not have to, unless you want to, then it’s totally cool!

It’s candy popcorn so of course it’s sticky. If you find you didn’t cook the mixture properly, and the popcorn is sticky let it dry in the oven for some extra time. That will solve the issue.

Obviously if it’s hot out, and you’re serving this outdoors it’s going to be stickier due to heat and humidity.

This stuff is so pretty. And delicious. And I have to say the unedited pictures win over the edited versions for me. Here’s a collage of edited ones below where they auto correct the color. I did not care for them. Nice from a photography angle but the unedited pics depict the popcorn as it truly looks.

I hope all my lovely readers have a pinktastic Valentine’s Day! I hope you are pinking happy! And I hope you all enjoy your pinkarific day with your loved ones.

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!

More Popcorn Recipes:

S’mores Popcorn, pictured below:

S'mores Popcorn | Cravings of a Lunatic | #smores #popcorn #snacks #chocolate

Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild, pictured below:

Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild | Cravings of a Lunatic | #popcorn #chocolate #snacks #candy

Turtle Popcorn, pictured below:

Turtle Popcorn | Cravings of a Lunatic | #chocolate #popcorn #snacks

Comments

Lyn @LovelyPantry says:

Well don't these look special! They do look yummy…but why did you distract me with the Turtle Popcorn??? I'm standing by for that one! :-)

Joan@chocolateandmore says:

When you post things like this it just reminds me why I am so glad you are my foodie friend, Yum, Pinned! can't wait to make some. And can't wait for you to post the turtle popcorn!

Jackie @ Domestic Fits says:

Seriously adorable. I never thought I would describe popcorn as "cute" but it really is. I love this!

What an original and cute idea. The grandkids would like this one. They like anything pink! Thanks for sharing.

Emily Lynne {The Best of this Life} says:

So pretty and perfect for Valentine's day!

FABULOUS popcorn AND Valentines advice to the guys! Your photos are simply stunning here, Kim! Love, love, LOVE the recipe, too! Happy non-commercial Valentines Day, my friend!

Ha-you have strayed very far away from that salty buttery tub they give out at the movies! However, I do see this to be a good thing. Lovely color and sweet flavor–popcorn is moving up in the ranks on my things to eat list! Looking forward to the next post too-yum.

Thanks! Lol, I shall post the Turtle on in 7 hours. So set you clock. Lol. Then 24 hours after that there will be the epic made over turtle one. Or epic fail. We'll see which one people like. Lol!

Aw you are so sweet. It's good to have fellow sweet lovers as friends. Thanks for pinning. I really need to slap a pin it button on the blog. Turtle popcorn up at midnight so about 7-ish hours.

Thanks and it totally is cute. There is just something about pink food that makes me weak in the knees.

Thanks but full credit to the original and the Lucky Elephant popcorn company. I grew up on this stuff. It comes really close to matching it. Hope they love it. Send me a pic of them munching it if you make it. xx

Thanks so much.

Thanks Ann. Lol, I am the V-Day grinch.

I got a tad carried away with all things sugar this week. The lose weight plan went to hell in a handbasket. Lol! Thanks, this is so much fun to make and eat. I am in love with this one.

Oh, I would not even be able to try one kernel, as I have absolutely no will power when it comes to popcorn…I'd eat the whole batch! This sounds incredible! I will be hanging out here till your get up those turtle popcorn recipes…and all of these are required entry fees for the commune ;)

Gourmantine says:

You know, I actually think they look too lovely to be eaten… So pretty, and I think I'll suggest them for my friends baby girl's shower, should be marvelous!

Anita at Hungry Couple says:

I'm also a pink girl although I've never had pink popcorn. I chose a female pup and all her things look like they've been dipped in a big ol' can of pink! We're going to have to agree to disagree on the man advice though, my friend. Brian and I have our lives all worked out. I cook, he fixes stuff. He drives, I tell him where I want to go. He buys jewelry, I look pretty while wearing it. See? All worked out :)

Thanks, this brings out my girlie side. I shall bring a trough full I promise.

I feel the same way. I just want to put it in a huge glass jar and stare at it. This would be perfect for a baby shower. Thanks.xx

I got my first girl puppy this year, having a blast with the outfits and beds and collars. SO fun! And lol, I used to love jewelry but now I never wear it. I would not say no to a new horse though. Or a saddle. Romantic no, useful…heck ya.

Quiche-ing Queen says:

Pink popcorn is so festive! I'd love it if my guy made me this "just because".

I love that !!! The pink color makes me smile ;)

Lazaro Cooks says:

What lovely popcorn. Perfect for the holiday. Nice post.

Thanks! Sounds like the perfect reason to me!

I know right. Me too!

Thank you so much. It was fun to make. More fun to eat.

The Harried Cook says:

I have never seen pink popcorn and I think it look absolutely brilliant! I want some right now! I could eat a lot of that, for sure! And that chocolate cake popcorn is calling out to me as well! Great post!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says:

Kim, I love this SO SO much!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts says:

We are popcorn obsessed in this house! Love this pink version! So pretty, and sounds so good!

Love this post!! Thank you for sharing your purty pink popcorn, I can't wait to try this!!

Michaela ~ An Affair from the Heart

Anna @ hiddenponies says:

This IS so pretty! I used to sell that pink elephant popcorn at a 50's diner, and it was a big hit, don't know why I never thought to make it at home! Happy Valentine's Day, Kim :)

How cute! This really would be a Valentine's gift if you were to fly out to the Middle East and end up at my door with a bowl of this stuff. Love it!

love this idea for popcorn! I can't believe i've never heard of this before..so pretty. Happy Valentine's Day!

Curry and Comfort says:

Kim, these look wonderful and festive! My daughter is jumping up and down admiring your popcorn because she adores pink!! Beautiful job! Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!! ~ Ramona

Oh my Gosh!!! Happy memories are coming to me now! My Grannie used to take me downtown Windsor, ON when I was a kid and there used to be a candy shop on main street (long gone now and there is not much a downtown anymore) and they made popcorn balls – every colour you could imagine. Pink was my favourite. I haven't thought of that in years!

Very cute! Not a popcorn fan, but the wife would love it. :)

Trish, I am right near Windsor and it I am not mistaken you are talking about the old "Nut House" candy store. They sold the best fudge on the face of the planet. The store was on Ouellette around the corner from the YMCA we went to. My dad would drop us all of Saturday mornings and we would sneak off every afternoon and go get fudge and popcorn and sneak into the movie theatre across the street. I am so wondering if this is the same place you mean now. I am also wondering why your story sounds sweet and mine makes me sound like felon???

That is exactly the place. Do you remember it! How exciting. Fond memories – for both of us, I think!

It's so pretty–it almost looks like little flowers!

That is so amazing, small world. So now it begs the question…omg is there another blogger local to me? I have yet to meet a fellow blogger and thought I was alone in the area. Feel free to hit my email if you are local and ever want to have coffee and talk shop. I have yet to go on a blate. Lol!

Sydney Jones says:

Oh, this is absolutely AWESOME!! I am so excited, I have to try this recipe :)

NO REASON NEEDED says:

I haven't had pink popcorn in FOREVER. I didn't even know it was still available. I love your blog and was curious to know how you got the "search your blog" thing on your blog. Please do tell.

Terri @ that's some good cookin' says:

Oh, how fun is this popcorn! My grandkids are gonna love this, but I will love it more. And one more thing…I TOTALLY agree with you about Valentine's Day. I don't need an assigned day on the calendar to tell me show my love for my hubby. Eek, I'm a Valentine's Day Grinch!

{Epicurean Mom} says:

How cute are these??! What a great festive idea! My kids would love this all year long! I ADORE!

www.you-made-that.com says:

Pink is my favorite color and this looks so cute and yummy. Love snacking on popcorn, I bet this is so addicting!!

Choc Chip Uru says:

You are officially my popcorn guru and one of the most creative bloggers I have ever had the privelige to follow :)
    This recipe is super fabulous!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Healthiest Natural Sugars Muesli Bars

Yummy..I am not pretty in pink kind of gal even though my husband thinks I am:)) but your popcorn is so adorable! What a great idea Kim!!!!
    I wish you happy belated Valentine's day! I had fun watching TV(hubs had to work):))

Cassie/Bake Your Day says:

This sounds delicious, Kim. Love the color!

Cookin' Canuck says:

This is so pretty and that Turtle Popcorn has me salivating.

Thank you so much. I love anything pink. I may paint my blog room pink. Lol!

Thanks my dear!!

Thanks Erin. Hope you get to try it. It's really yummy!

Let me know how it turns out. The best advice I can give is make sure the sugar dissolves enough, my first batch did not. Also it is sweet so you might want to double the popcorn amount. And don't pour it over until it cools a teensy bit. I need to edit that in there I think.

Oh my goodness that is so cool. Don't ya just love the box it came it. Loved it more than cracker jacks. Hope you had an amazing V-Day. Thanks so much for visiting.

Rofl, oh man I just got this comment so maybe next year. Lol! Thanks so much.xx

It is so cute. We ate it all the time as kids. Must be a Canuck thing! Hope you had an amazing V-Day!

Thanks Ramona. You must make it for her. Super easy and yummy. I am a total pink girl too.

I suggest you make it for her asap. She will love it.

Aw thanks. It kinda does now that you mention it. xx

Thank you so much. Let me know how it turns out.

Thank you so much. I am not sure if they still sell it. I think they do in some candy stores. I think it was a blogger feature that was on the list where you add things like html and rss and whatnot. I'll do some digging tomorrow and see. Shoot me an email and I can walk you through it tomorrow night if need be. I'll be out all day though. Home around dinner time.

Girl you do not look old enough to have grandkids. That is awesome. I am a V-Day grinch too so it's all good. We don't celebrate it here. It's just another day to annoy each other. Lol!

I know right. You have to make these for the kids. I would love to see how you photograph them. Mine got turned down by foodgawker. Dull/unsharp. That site is the thorn in my side. I will get better and then they'll love me. *foodgawker envy*

Mine too. I keep telling everyone I want to paint my blog room pink and no one believes me. But I totally do. This is super yummy. Hope you get to try it.

Aw you are too sweet. You're going to make me cry. Big hug for you. xx

Lol, I totally am. It's sad. I find a way to wear some pink every day. Even if it's just a anklet or socks. It's always there. Lol! This is so yummy. I think it would be so cute for a kids party or baby shower.

Thanks so much Cassie. I really, really enjoyed doing this one. It's probably the most me recipe on the blog. Lol!

Thanks so much Dara. I am so glad you liked them both. There's a new Lunatic version of the turtle one. I think I have issues. Lol. Always happy when you stop by. Love my fellow Canucks so much.

Eating Deliciously says:

Another must try recipe! Love the pink color.

Jenny @ Savour the Senses says:

Ooh this sounds SO good!!

Joan@Chocolateandmore says:

Kim, I just made this for my daughter’s class for tomorrow. I may have to make another batch, I can’t stop eating it! I’m in love!

Laurin says:

Im doing your pink popcorn for my baby’s princess party and I was wondering if you had a nickname for it instead of just “pink popcorn”. I was thinking of something along the line of “fairy dust”, something creative. Thanks.

• 73
      Kim Bee says:

Hey Laurin. I am so happy you are making it. It’s really good. Quick tip, let the liquid cook just a bit before you pour it. Depending on your popcorn it can shrink and shrivel if it’s super hot. I’ve not thought of another name for it but that one is super cute. I am working on a new one so I may use that for my next version. Maybe I can name it after you. Laurin’s Fairy Dust. Let me know how it turns out.
      We have it here in Canada in little boxes and it’s called Lucky Elephant. I seriously just saw it at Costco two days ago. I was so stoked to see it.

Can I just say this was “the best” pink popcorn I’ve had! Could not stop eating it! So, thank you so much for posting.
    I did use the amount of pop corn you used, did not double the corn syrup, I used the clear kind. I can’t justify buying liquid food color that I prob won’t use, so I did use just a tiny dab of red gel color.I also laid the popcorn on a cookie sheet to sit in the warm oven for ten minutes. Mmmmm crunchy & sweet! This will definitely be served at the baby shower I am hosting.

OK Kim, you’re going to think I’m stalking you but I’m not, really, well maybe just a little but in a good kind of way. I did a post on this popcorn because it’s just that good!

This popcorn is exactly what I want for my daughter’s princess party. Can you please tell me if the popcorn is sticky? I can’t tell from the pictures. Thanks.

• 77
      Kim Bee says:

I would say it’s quite sticky when first wet. After it dries out a bit it will have the same texture as a caramel corn. I’d keep wet wipes on hand if it’s hot that day. I would think the heat would make it stickier. If it’s a normal day it should be okay. It’s basically a candy coating so it dries quite hard.

I love this popcorn! I have been making it with soy milk with no problem so that I can take it to the kids school on special occasions. It is hard to say who loves it more the kids or the adults.

So I just made this in orange/black for halloween. It’s a bit soft..not as hard as it should be. I cooked to 230 though. Maybe this is the way it’s supposed to be. It’s hard to the touch but soft when you bite into it. Not as much crunch as I’d like. I am going to try to cook to 250 and see what happens. I am excited about this though!! We do halloewen themed birthday parties for my son every yr and this will be something new we bring to the dessert table. :) Thanks for the recipe!

• 80

Hi Bridgette. I am so happy you made it and put your own spin on it. It should be hard on the outside and slightly soft on the inside. Like caramel corn is the best way I can describe it. If you want more crunch definitely try cooking it a bit longer so it dries out more. I also like to leave most of mine sit out on top of the stove for quite awhile. Let it dry and cool completely before you package it up or pop it in a container. Otherwise it might soften due to moisture. Let me know if you have more issues and I’ll try testing the recipe again to see where it’s getting hung up. Or pinpoint what we could change for your tastes. Thanks for stopping in to let me know. I love when people offer feedback. Even if it’s not a total love it comment it still helps me know where I can improve and what recipes can use some revamping.

• 81
        Bridgette says:

I’ve made 3 batches total today. LOL I think the recipe just depends on individual taste, don’t you? :) Each batch I made got better and better in my opinion, The last one I put a 1/4 tsp of cream of tarter and cooked to 250. It’s definitely the best batch yet. None of us can stop eating it so it must be good. LOL I am sick from eating so much of it! I made a batch of orange and a batch of black then mixed them together to put in individual bags and they look great! This recipe is definitely a keeper! I hope by bagging them it doesn’t increase moisture like you said. now I am paranoid about that!! I will continue to use this recipe for special occasions and parties. Thank you again!

• 82

As long as you let it cool it’ll be fine to bag up. It’s only when it’s still warm it creates problems. I love that you kept playing with it until you liked it. Thanks so much for the feedback. And you are right, all recipes vary according to taste and personal preference. I think that’s what I love so much about cooking. It’s never the same and always an adventure. If you get a chance pop a pic on my facebook wall or send me an email with one. Would absolutely love to see what you did with it.

Hi
    Where do u get vanilla salt? I never heard of it and want to make this popcorn for my daughters Birthday.

Aimee molina says:

I am making this recepie for my daughter’s birthday party tomorrow. Will the popcorn last a day without getting stale, or should I make it the day of the party?

• 86

Day before for sure. You want it to have some drying time. Less sticky that way. Also remember when you make it to let the candy cool a bit before pouring it over the popcorn. It’s like when you pour butter that’s too hot over it, it will shrivel up. So some cool time is good. Then add about half initially and mix so you can adjust to your own taste. You may not like as much candy coating as I do perhaps. So always best to start small and work your way up. It keeps for about a week if I remember correctly. But trust me, it won’t as everyone will demolish it the first day.

• 87

Ack! I wish I had seen this comment in the recipe. Our popcorn is drying right now. I poured the candy over right from the stove because the recipe didn’t state otherwise :( I hope I didn’t ruin it.
        Also, how long should you let it dry out for? Are we talking hours?

• 88

It’s one of those things I tend to think most people know but I forget the young crowd grew up on microwave popcorn so maybe they don’t actually know. I’ll edit the recipe this week. If it didn’t shrivel up immediately you are okay. It’s always good to allow any liquid to cool a touch before pouring over popcorn. If it’s really piping hot it can shrivel the popcorn up a bit. No always a bad thing if it’s butter but with this stuff it won’t look as pretty.

I would let it dry about 30 to 60 minutes if you can. If you can’t it’s no biggie. It might just stick together a bit when you store it. But that’s easily fixed with a wooden spoon and some patience.

Please let me know what you think of it once you taste it. So far everyone loves it but you just never know. I have oodles of popcorn recipes on the blog. It’s a sickness.

My mother-in-law makes this and said her mother made it for her. She is 77 years old and from Nebraska. Love traditions in cooking!

• 90

That is so adorable. I just love that. I have such fond memories of this stuff growing up. Every time I see pink popcorn it puts a smile on my face.

can i sub something for the milk? i need to make this dairy free.

• 92

Hi Claire:

That’s a really interesting question. I would try subbing soy milk if you can have that. If not water might work. Are you making it soon? I could try a water version on the weekend and let you know how it goes if you’d like.

How cute is this! I’m subscribing for future updates! My posts are not practical at all, perhaps I need a new slant! X

That would be great! Id love to make this for my sons Valentines party :) Ive never made popcorn of anykind, please let me know if it turns out! Also how long would this keep in an airtight container?

• 96

I shall try it soon since I’m out of town on the weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes. It should keep for about 2 weeks in an airtight container. Honestly mine never last that long, we all gobble it up too fast.

Jeanette Swalberg says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I have been looking for this. Thanks to Pinterest, I have found it a year after you posted it.

In scrolling through the comments I didn’t see anyone discussing the corn syrup. White corn syrup is a nick-name for light corn syrup, aka regular corn syrup, which is the clear stuff. There is such thing as dark corn syrup which has a deeper color to it; some recipes call for specifically. If the recipe doesn’t specify which to use, most likely they are referring to regular, light, “white” corn syrup.

jenny from NJ says:

Delicious – we made it as myt aunt’s bday gift – she’s a valentine birthday girl !!

There is light and dark corn syrup .. i think bywhite she said light :)

I tried it with water and it worked just fine! This week i will try it with Coconut milk so i can see which is better :)

Theresa Johnson says:

It’s like popcorn crack! Awesome! I used kettle corn instead of regular popcorn and it’s AMAZING!!!

What is vanilla salt

• 102

It is just vanilla flavoured salt. If you don’t have access to it just use regular salt. Just as good. Have fun.

oh i used to ove this when i was a kid what is vanilla salt where can i find it thank you

• 104

I hope you get to try this.

Vanilla salt is essentially salt with vanilla beans in it. No worries if you don’t have it. Just use regular salt. It will taste just as good.

Janet Gagnon says:

What is vanilla salt??? Never heard of it…and I am old..lol. Thanks

• 106

Hi Janet. It’s okay, I’m old too. We’ll form a club.

Vanilla salt is just salt flavoured with vanilla bean. You can make it yourself or some places sell it. But here’s a little tip, the popcorn will not taste much different if you just use regular salt. I do that when I don’t have vanilla salt made up. Works perfectly.

oh my goodness pink popcorn is a childhood favorite I cant wait to try this

While I do know how to make real popcorn, Can I use microwave popcorn?????
    My boy is a Scout, so needless to say, I’ve got lots on hand.

• 109

Hey Di, while I’ve never tried making it with microwave my thought is heck yeah. I do not see any reason it wouldn’t work. If you test it out let me know how it goes. I tend to always remind people to allow the candy coating to cool a touch before pouring over the popcorn. If you do it piping hot it could shrivel the popcorn a bit. Hope it turns out wonderfully!

As a young birl growing up in New Hampshire we loved pink popcorn made by Humpty Dumpty POtatoe chip company.We used to have a small share house at the end of our road.We used to go and help out for chips and things.His name was Richard…..Funny what you remember in life……That would of been around 36 years ago……wow ……

• 111

I think it’s a lovely thing when food brings on memories. I always think of the circus when I have it as you used to be able to get it there. And fairs. Glad it brought back some memories for you.

Was just looking over the recipe and noticed it said ? Cup of milk….how many cups of milk does it need? Not sure if this is just showing up this way on my end :)

• 113
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Cami I adore you. Thank you for catching that. I actually just edited this post last night with a new print recipe company and I must have messed up. So thank you so much for letting me know. The hazards of editing old posts. It’s 2/3 cup of milk.

Thx! Can’t wait to make it for my daughters bday!

What is vanilla salt and where can I find it?

• 116
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Hi Ashley, there’s a link to make your own inside the recipe. Just click it and it will take you to it. Basically it’s just salt infused with vanilla bean. If you don’t want to use vanilla salt then just use regular salt. Works just as well.

I made this yesterday and it was a big hit. The kids loved it! I made mine in pink and green. So cute together. Perfect for a themed party. Thanks for sharing =)

• 118
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Yah Rebecka. I love hearing that people like the recipes. So happy you took the time to stop by and let me know.

I have this cooling on my counter right now! My family is going to love it for our Memorial Day Weekend… If it lasts that long! Awesome recipe! I might make a batch in every color!

Love it! Very sticky!!!! Y? Need to make for my daughters baby shower! But don’t want it sticky! Photos don’t look sticky! What can Ido???

• 121
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Hey Amy;

First of all thanks for making it. Secondly it is made with a candy coating so it’s going to be a tad sticky. If it’s excessively sticky you have two possibilities, you may not have cooked it long enough on the stove or maybe your popcorn isn’t fresh enough. I’d suggest you pop it a low heat oven to let it dry up a bit more. Try sticking it in your oven at about 200 degrees F for about 20 or 30 minutes. Watch it carefully though. That can help dry it out. Hope that helps. Ruemember to watch it like a hawk so it doesn’t burn and adjust your time if need be. All ovens are a bit different.

Did you substitute anything or make it with the exact ingredients? Some people sub in things and it helps if I know which ingredient got swapped out.

Kim

Thank you Kim, will try the oven trick! Used the the same ingredient you posted! Let it dry for 60 minutes and was so sticky and just clumped together. Still tasted wonderful, but all stuck together. Going to buy a candy thermometer today! Maybe not cooking mixture long enough. Thank u so much! God Bless.

• 123
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Hey Amy. Just saw this. Hope the oven trick worked. My thought is your not cooking the candy coating enough. But it is candy popcorn so it’s suppose to be sticky. If you want it less sticky you could half the amount of candy coating recipe and see if that gives you a better consistency for you taste. I like candy popcorn sticky. It’s going to be messy to eat, all candy popcorn tends to be. But overly sticky then there’s some kind of issue. Maybe humidity. So hard to say. You should break up clumps as it dries. I usually take a wooden spoon and push it around and break clumps before it hardens. Easier to break up that way. Hope it worked. I love this stuff and want to try a different take on it soon. xx

I made this and it’s SO sticky! It’s nothing like caramel corn…am I supposed to bake it afterwards? I left it out for 6 hours and it’s still so sticky…couldn’t even rip it off the parchment paper.

• 125
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Did you use a candy thermometer? That’s always my first question when candy doesn’t work out. It should be sticky, since it’s candy coating. You also should be turning it like anything you leave to air dry. It has to be turned on occasion. It should be like caramel corn. I’ve made it about a dozen times. And have tons of other bloggers who’ve done it and it’s turned out every time. If it’s too sticky (and this trick would work on any candy popcorns) pop it in a super low oven for 30 to 60 minutes. You should not need to with this one, but if for some reason it’s not turning out that’s what I would do to troubleshoot the issue. Hope that helps. It could be lots of things gone wrong, so it’s hard to troubleshoot from my end. The candy thermometer is crucial, the popcorn needs to be fresh and good quality otherwise it will absorb too much, the corn syrup should be good quality, the milk should be fresh and the right kind. Beyond that it could be pouring it on too hot, the humidity where you live. So many factors play into candy. Let me know if you still have it and were able to pop it in the oven.

making this as take-away baggies for a breast cancer charity event. Was planning on doing sugar cookies with pink ribbons as decoration….but this seams WAY simpler, faster and a bit cheekier. thanks for the inspiration!

Can I make purple popcorn? Usually you have to mix two dyes together is that going to mess up the ratio of popcorn to liquid?

• 128
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I don’t think it would mess with it at all. You’re just adding a little extra food colouring. I’ve used a ton before, I made red velvet and it turned out fine. You could experiment with a smaller batch if you’re worried. Test the waters to see.

Hi Kim. Thanks for the recipe and the memories. I’m a canuk too and we grew up on this stuff as well. What I want to know is where is the prize at the bottom of the bowl? LOL

A tip for anyone having issues with the popcorn being sticky and you don’t have a candy thermometer. Do the water test on the candy. Drop some into a cold glass of water and if it hardens right away it’s cooked long enough. If it’s still soft then it needs to cook longer. We never had a candy thermometer growing up but made peanut brittle and caramel popcorn all the time. We just used the water test to make sure it was cooked to hard ball stage. That should stop the candy from being at all sticky and there shouldn’t be any need to dry it out in the oven either.

Looks fantastic! Substituting blue and orange food coloring for Super Bowl get together… Go Broncos!!

You are a godsend. I have been looking for the original Lucky a Elephant recipe for ages. The still make something they think is the same but it’s not. This tastes exactly like the real McCoy. As a child we went up to Canada every summer we could to visit my Canadian family. My mother was born there but moved to the lower 48 to marry my dad. There were a few things we always needed to buy, scotch mints (green and white), pink round mints, mackintosh toffee bars, neilsen’s chocolate, malkins jam, red river cereal, red rose tea, and lucky elephant popcorn. This has made my night. Made some for my son’s bake sale tomorrow. I hope it doesn’t sell. Laugh out loud.

Could you make this in advance and then let it cool overnight, and then put them in cellophane baggies as a party favor? I’m having a baby girl, and I want to do a candy and sweets bar, and this would be perfect as a to-go “Ready to Pop” favor. Yay or Nay

• 133
      Kim Beaulieu says:

It’s a candy popcorn so it’s quite sticky. I’d suggest little containers. I’ve not tried it in cello, but I’ve done it in cups lined with parchment.

This was different (and even better) than I expected! I used about 1/4 cup of pink candy melts to color it, which turned it fudgy. I had to work fast to pour it on. So, I don’t know if I inadvertently changed the recipe, but everyone just loved this at my February Bunco party. Next time I will try with just red food color. Thank you so much for this!

• 135
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Janet that sounds amazing. Candy coated popcorn is amazing. I’m so glad it worked for you. I love hearing recipes were loved. Can’t hear that enough.

I’ve never played Bunco. How sad am I? I hear it’s fun.

I just made these and WOW they are yummy!!! Thank you so much for posting on pinterest. My 2 girls and son will devour these in no time.

1. [...] Joan is an amazing lady and supportive blogger. I adore her to bits. She did a makeover of the Pink Popcorn I did called Cherry Cotton Candy Popcorn awhile back and I was completely touched she made [...]

2. [...] Kim’s old-fashioned pink candy popcorn was made. Twice. Because it’s a proven fact that I can not make candy without it getting [...]

3. [...] Kim and all she makes. She’s got a sweet tooth almost as big as mine. Have you tried her Pink Popcorn? I have, it tastes just like cotton candy from the fair. Or her how about her Ice Cream recipes? I [...]

4. [...] Cherry Cotton Candy Popcorn adapted from Cravings of a Lunatic [...]

5. [...] Popcorn, Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild, Pink Popcorn, Reese’s Popcorn, S’mores Popcorn, Turtle Tailgate Mix, Chocolate Cake Popcorn and now [...]

6. [...] while this isn’t specifically Cherry Blossom… I think the PINK Popcorn from Cravings of a Lunatic would make a PERFECT snack at a Cherry Blossom themed [...]

7. [...] är ifrån Cravingsofalunatic, med vissa [...]

8. [...] Cherry Cotton Candy Popcorn adapted from Cravings of a Lunatic [...]

9. […] always, there were plenty of sweet options. I made Kim’s Old Fashioned Pink Popcorn again, and it’s the first thing everyone noticed/collectively fell apart over because they […]

10. […] Old Fashioned Pink Popcorn - This one will remind many of you of childhood! […]

11. […] Old Fashioned Pink Popcorn, pictured above […]