Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild

Chocolate Popcorn covered in Homemade Caramel Sauce and tossed with Pecans and Toffee Bits. This stuff is wildly addictive. It’s a chocolate lovers dream.

Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild | Cravings of a Lunatic | #popcorn #chocolate #snacks #candy

Yah baby!

Chocolate = good!

Caramel = good!!

Toffee = good!!!

Pecans = good!!!!

Popcorn = good!!!!!

Chocolate + Caramel + Toffee + Pecans + Popcorn = Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild!!!!!!

Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild = “Well smack my ass and call me Judy” kind of good!!!!!!!

Yup, I did it again. And there’s no oops in that. Nor any innocence. Sorry Britney! This was on purpose, premeditated, unadulterated foodie sin at it’s best! I think some of you may have seen the Turtle popcorn I made the other day. It was a Paula Deen recipe, and it was quite good. But it just wasn’t sinful enough for me. Yes I realize I just said one of Paula Deen’s recipes was not sinful enough for me. They don’t call me a Lunatic for nothing folks. Her recipe was yummy, but it lacked that extra oomph that I was looking for. I wanted this to taste like I had melted down a Turtles candy and poured it over top the popcorn. And while I am a Lunatic, I’m not crazy enough to take something as precious as Turtle candies and melt them down. So I did what any Lunatic would do….I made my own concoction to simulate the taste. Let’s just say mission accomplished. This is AH-MAH-ZING! I mean smack your gramma good. Just don’t tell her I told you to do it. You’re on your own if she hits you back with her purse.

Now this is a bit of an ordeal to make but I assure you it’s worth it. You need to make the popcorn, which seriously people, is not that hard. Then you’ll make some chocolate concoction a la Paula. That will need to dry. Then you need to make some caramel, let it cool a bit, then make this and let that dry. So it has some steps involved. But you’ll thank me for it. Give some to your gramma and she’ll thank me too. She might even forgive you for slapping her.

So set aside some time tomorrow, or this weekend and make this stuff. It’s popcorn gone nuts. And I mean who doesn’t like their popcorn a little nuts anyway right. And your food bloggers too.

*smiles sheepishly*

*writes a letter apologizing to Paula for dethroning her as the Queen of Sin*

*thinks of ways she could deep fry this popcorn*

*gets dragged off by her family for a serious intervention*

*grabs some Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild for the car ride*

Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild

Chocolate Popcorn covered in Homemade Caramel Sauce and tossed with Pecans and Toffee Bits. This stuff is wildly addictive. It's a chocolate lovers dream.
Ingredients for Step 1 (this is Paula’s recipe and the one I posted previously, but the popcorn is halved):
  • 12 cups popped popcorn
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Generous pinch of salt, I used vanilla salt
Ingredients for step 3 (which is the final step):
  • Turtle Popcorn you already made
  • Caramel Sauce you already made
  • ½ cup Skor Toffee Bits (you can buy these by the chocolate chips)
  • ½ cup crushed pecans
Directions for step 1:
  1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
  2. Pop your popcorn. I did mine on the stove old school style!
  3. Place your popcorn in a large roasting pan.
  4. Now in a large saucepan combine your butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup.
  5. Over medium-high heat bring this mixture to a boil. Keep it at a boil for about 5 minutes.
  6. Now remove it from the heat and stir in the chocolate, vanilla salt and vanilla.
  7. Let it stand until the chocolate melts. Stir it occasionally.
  8. Once it is melted stir until smooth.
  9. Now pour this over your popcorn, toss it gently with a wooden spoon to coat it all evenly.
  10. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Stir it occasionally.
  11. Remove from oven and transfer popcorn to parchment paper to let it cool down.
Directions for step 2:
  1. Place a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combining sugar and ¼ cup warm water. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Takes 2 to 3 minutes.
  2. Bring the syrup to a boil and do not stir, let it start to caramelize. You can gently swirl the pan to help it start to brown.
  3. You watch, not stirring until it turns an amber colour.
  4. Now remove from the heat, add cold butter.
  5. Now stir in the heavy cream. You may return the pan to low heat if the mixture is not smoothing out right away.
  6. Now add the vanilla and the salt. Stir this until it’s smooth.
  7. Let the caramel cool for about 15 minutes.
Directions for step 3:
  1. Place your dried Turtle popcorn in a large roasting pan.
  2. Now take your cooled caramel sauce and pour it over top the popcorn.
Toss the Skor Toffee Bits and the Crushed Pecans over top
Turtle Popcorn recipe is from Paula Deen's Chocolate Celebration Magazine

Caramel Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking

Tips and Hints:

Do not pour boiling hot anything over popcorn. I would think this is common sense but maybe not so much. If you pour butter, or caramel, or chocolate, or pink candy coating that is boiling hot over popcorn it will shrivel it up. So wait a few minutes. You don’t have to wait long, just not scorching hot over top. Warm is better.

I tend to er on the side of more is better when it comes to coatings. So feel free to double the popcorn amount and keep the rest of the ingredients at these measurements. I suppose not every subscribes to the more is better logic.

You can certainly take the time to pop it in the oven a second time to dry. It would help as with this much caramel it takes awhile to dry out. I was fine letting it dry on counter but I had oodles of time.

You could in theory cut the caramel in half. But why would you want to.

Remember when making caramel that it is supposed to fizz up, so don’t freak out when that happens. It is kind of a cool science experiment. Have your kids help carefully as it’s sort of cool. Of course I am 5 years old and find things like this fascinating right. You may not.

Okay folks that wraps up this one. I sure hope it was worth the wait. And me being carted off in a little white coat that ties in the back. Hope you’re happy now. ….Paula!!!!!

For more Turtle recipes from your loyal and Turtle devoted Lunatic please feel free to click any of the links below, you won’t be sorry!

Turtle Bark, pictured below

Turtle Bark | Cravings of a Lunatic | #chocolate #bark #turtles #snacks #caramel #pecans #candy

Turtle Ice Cream, pictured below

Turtle Ice Cream | Cravings of a Lunatic | #chocolate #icecream #frozendesserts

Turtle Banana Split, pictured below

Turtle Banana Split | Cravings of a Lunatic | #chocolate #ice cream #turtles #bananasplit

Turtle Ice Cream Pies, pictured below

Turtle Ice Cream Pie | Cravings of a Lunatic | #icecream #frozendesserts #chocolate #caramel

Turtle Popcorn, pictured below

Turtle Popcorn | Cravings of a Lunatic | #popcorn #chocolate #snacks

After all my treatments are done I shall return with another new Turtle recipe just for you!

If you missed the PINK POPCORN you should go check it out. Have a Pretty in Pink Party and Pop this Pink Popcorn like a Pro and impress all your Peeps!

Old Fashioned Pink Popcorn | Cravings of a Lunatic | #pinkpopcorn #pink #snacks #popcorn #candy

Comments

1. Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls says

You are so funny! I love your turtle popcorn … that looks completely and totally decadently rich and wonderful :)

2. Quiche-ing Queen says

Haha! This popcorn looks so delicious. My mama would love the canister! Need to get my hands on that first and then make this popcorn to ship to her. Where oh where did you get it Kim?!!

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much. My kids got me the jar for Christmas. It’s a cookie jar but I won’t let anyone else touch it. The kids bought it at a store here in Canada called Cartoon Kingdom I believe. Love the thing to bits.

3. Kristen says

It's already happening; the Turtle Girl's bid for world domination (insert crazy laughter). Soon everything will have chocolate, caramel and pecans…"Some green beans, honey? Yes, those are turtles in there." "Ribs? Didn't you know they are lovely with caramel! BWHA HA HA HA!" I think you are far beyond any hope of cure. But I will go along for the ride :-)

• Kim Bee says

Lol, I’ll pick you up and we’ll head off like Thelma and Louise in search of some turtle goodness. Minus the cliff but times Brad by two.

4. Kim Bee says

Thanks so much. My kids got me that for Christmas. I think they got it at a store called Cartoon Kingdom. Hope that helps. I absolutely love it and could not have been happier with my gift. I won't let anyone else use it. It's too pretty. Lol!

5. Laura says

OH my gosh! I must make this! Have you tried sprinkling with a little sea salt at the end? I think I will have to give it a try. Thank you for sharing.

6. Soni says

Great way of dressing up good old popcorns!Very creative indeed, packing it with all my favorite flavors in there!A winner :)

7. Lacy @ NYCityEats says

Omg the addition of the caramel & toffee bits is killing me! This sounds so incredible. Could you package this up and ship some my way?! 😉

• Kim Bee says

Lol, I think I need to market this stuff stat. It is so good. I am not sure there’s any left though. I may have gotten carried away.

8. Ann says

Oh, Kim….this is FANTASTIC! Not only is this terrific right now, but can you imagine how popular I'd be if I made this at Christmas time? Fabulous my friend!

• Kim Bee says

Apparently my daughter is teaching me how to do just that this week. Should be interesting and land me in the hospital. I like pink flowers, just so you all know.

9. Peggy says

Watch out Paula! Hehe =)

This popcorn looks fantastic Kim, and would definitely give the Queen of Sin a run for her money =)

• Kim Bee says

She has me nipping at her heels I tell you. Lol! Thanks, this is a real over the top recipe. Luckily I love over the top stuff.

10. Curry and Comfort says

I love two things in this post.. your turtle popcorn gone wild and that lovely I Love Lucy canister!! I want one… Wahhhhhhhhh! :)

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much. That jar is a real beauty. The kids sure know how to pick out gifts. I’ve trained them well I think.

11. The Harried Cook says

I can't decide if I hate you or I love you… This is ridiculously tempting! Can you please send me some? I would pay a lot for this! And please send me that jar too. It is really cute… Let me know where to send you my address. Thanks much!

• Kim Bee says

You know you love me. How can you not? It’s turtles and popcorn. I could probably send the popcorn but the jar is precious. I hope the kids get me more Lucy stuff for easter. *hint hint* *wink wink*

12. Alyssa says

Yes, I can't believe Paula has a recipe that isn't sinful enough. I love all of your popcorn recipes. I've been trying to plan what to do for the kid's birthday party and I keep coming back to your popcorn recipes to be on the menu. I might as well just have a Kim's popcorn-themed party! :)

• Kim Bee says

I know right. This might actually make me the devil. Ruining waistlines one treat at a time. Lol! There you go, ode to the Lunatic partah!

13. Tori @ The Shiksa in the Kitchen says

I think what I love about this post most of all is the mug! Don't get me wrong, I like the popcorn plenty. Toffee and chocolate is a great mix. But the I Love Lucy mug really takes it over the top for me. :)

• Kim Bee says

Thank you so much. My kids really surprised me with that. At first I thought it was the videos then I fell over when I saw it was a cookie jar.

14. Sis. Boom. says

These popcorns are so beautiful and mouth watering. Its one thing I 've never done but I can see I'm going to have to start figuring it out. I mean, its got to be good for you, right? Its popcorn! How bad can it be?

Hi KimBee/ Kita!! Erm… I got confused there for a moment when you buzzed me over at my blog. Btw, I am liking your new blog look. Really slick. You know I really have to try this Turtle dessert combo. It sounds really good, and I’m sure it is. Btw, thanks for giving me a shoutout on Facebook. I am terrible with social networking, as when work ends, I just don’t want to turn on my notebook till the next day. LOL… Missed ya indeed. I can’t wait to check out what will you be up to. Would it be more ice-cream? Yummmmm.. Huggggsss, Jo

• Kim Bee says

Hi Jo. I appreciate you popping by. I get like that some days too where I just can’t bear another moment looking at the screen. Stop by when you can and don’t stress when you can’t. My motto is life first, blog second. You are welcome for the FB love. I enjoy FB a ton so goof on there when I can. I have a very cool ice cream coming up this week. Been dying to share it cuz it’s sort of different than my usual taste.

16. Kim Bee says

Hi folks. I apologize to anyone who got answered twice. The comment thing is wonky. I suppose twice is better than not at all. Lol!

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Lisa. I have a real thing for all things turtle. I have a new turtle recipe in my fridge awaiting it’s photo session. It is like a sickness at this point. Lol!

17. Lauren says

Do I refrigerate after or just leave it out in a sealed container? Unfortunately I can’t eat it all, need to save it for a couple of days.

• Kim Bee says

I would leave it in a sealed container. I had some that lasted maybe about a week. Unless you live somewhere super hot. Then fridge till about an hour till you need it. The problem I have with the fridge is I swear it makes the chocolate more melty after and it gets all over your fingers. But if you’re the sort who doesn’t mind then it’s all good. So to recap, container unless you live in hell. Yup, that sums it up nicely. xx

18. Shaniqua says

Hey! I was wondering how long this popcorn stays fresh. If I make it on Thursday night would it be good to serve this on Saturday??

• Kim Beaulieu says

It stays good for 2 weeks. Just make sure you take the time to make sure it isn’t clumpy. You just break it up every now and then while it dried. Easy peasy. It’s really good. Let me know if you need any help or troubleshooting.

19. Angela |Mind Over Batter says

This is truly turtle popcorn gone wild. No side boob here. Total frontal, baby. Love, love, love this. Love you – ‘Cause you’re awesome as Hell!