This Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild is made with chocolate popcorn, pecans, toffee bits and caramel. It is a chocolate lovers dream come true.
Chocolate = good!
Caramel = good!!
Toffee = good!!!
Pecans = good!!!!
Popcorn = good!!!!!
Chocolate + Caramel + Toffee + Pecans + Popcorn = Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild!!!!!!
Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild = "Well smack my ass and call me Judy" kind of good!!!!!!!
*writes a letter apologizing to Paula for dethroning her as the Queen of Sin*
*thinks of ways she could deep fry this popcorn*
*gets dragged off by her family for a serious intervention*
*grabs some Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild for the car ride*
- Do not pour boiling hot anything over popcorn. I would think this is common sense but maybe not so much. If you pour butter, or caramel, or chocolate, or pink candy coating that is boiling hot over popcorn it will shrivel it up. So wait a few minutes. You don't have to wait long, just not scorching hot over top. Warm is better.
- I tend to er on the side of more is better when it comes to coatings. So feel free to double the popcorn amount and keep the rest of the ingredients at these measurements. I suppose not every subscribes to the more is better logic.
- You can certainly take the time to pop it in the oven a second time to dry. It would help as with this much caramel it takes awhile to dry out. I was fine letting it dry on counter but I had oodles of time.
- You could in theory cut the caramel in half. But why would you want to.
- Remember when making caramel that it is supposed to fizz up, so don't freak out when that happens. It is kind of a cool science experiment. Have your kids help carefully as it's sort of cool. Of course I am 5 years old and find things like this fascinating right. You may not.
More Popcorn Recipes:
Turtle Popcorn Gone Wild
- 6-Quart Stockpot for popping the popcorn
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup corn syrup
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter more softened for the pan
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup Skor Toffee Bits
- ½ cup crushed pecans
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Pop your popcorn. I did mine on the stove old school style!
- Place your popcorn in a large roasting pan.
- Now in a large saucepan combine your butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup.
- Over medium-high heat bring this mixture to a boil. Keep it at a boil for about 5 minutes.
- Now remove it from the heat and stir in the chocolate, salt and vanilla.
- Let it stand until the chocolate melts. Stir it occasionally.
- Once it is melted stir until smooth.
- Now pour this over your popcorn, toss it gently with a wooden spoon to coat it all evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Stir it occasionally.
- Remove from oven and transfer popcorn to parchment paper to let it cool down.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combining sugar and ¼ cup warm water. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Takes 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bring the syrup to a boil and do not stir, let it start to caramelize. You can gently swirl the pan to help it start to brown.
- You watch, not stirring until it turns an amber colour.
- Now remove from the heat, add cold butter.
- Stir in the heavy cream. You may return the pan to low heat if the mixture is not smoothing out right away.
- Now add the vanilla and the salt. Stir this until it's smooth.
- Let the caramel cool for about 15 minutes.
Putting it all together:
- Place your dried Turtle popcorn in a large roasting pan.
- Now take your cooled caramel sauce and pour it over top the popcorn.
- Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Now top with Skor Toffee Bits and crushed pecans. Mix gently again.
- Now transfer this on to a parchment lined cookie sheet to let it dry.
- (If you are pressed for time and want it to try quickly place the popcorn in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes. I personally did not want to do this as I wanted my toffee bits crunchy and not melted.)
- Once dry you can serve this with a big old Turtle smile!
Thanks for visiting today!
If you’re looking for more popcorn recipes sure to check out my recipe index. You can also find a lot more snack recipes as well.
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest while you’re here. I love pinning great recipes! Also, make sure you follow me on Instagram. It’s a great way to stay up to date with the blog.
Really sinful sweets 🙂
Thanks. I love me some good sinful food.
It makes me drool !!! It looks really yummy ! I love that ceramic cookie jar hahahha
Thanks. The jar is too cute for words I know. I love my kids for knowing this jar would rock my world.
Great way of dressing up good old popcorns!Very creative indeed, packing it with all my favorite flavors in there!A winner 🙂
Thank you so much. I eat a lot of popcorn so I gotta get creative with it. Or I'd get bored.
Lacy @ NYCityEats
Omg the addition of the caramel & toffee bits is killing me! This sounds so incredible. Could you package this up and ship some my way?! 😉
Lol, I think I need to market this stuff stat. It is so good. I am not sure there's any left though. I may have gotten carried away.
Oh, gosh, this is the ultimate in sinful treats!!! I WILL be making some!!! Thanks, my friend!!! xx
You gotta make this. And then we'll munch it at movie night on the commune.
Oh, Kim....this is FANTASTIC! Not only is this terrific right now, but can you imagine how popular I'd be if I made this at Christmas time? Fabulous my friend!
I may just be Santa in disguise. Woot woot. The secret is out.
Kim - step away from the turtles! Great recipe - loving the series of different flavors of popcorn.
But, but, but, I can't. They are my precious.
All we need to do now is work out how to deep fry chocolate and we're done! Nice post Kim Bee 🙂
Apparently my daughter is teaching me how to do just that this week. Should be interesting and land me in the hospital. I like pink flowers, just so you all know.
Watch out Paula! Hehe =)
This popcorn looks fantastic Kim, and would definitely give the Queen of Sin a run for her money =)
She has me nipping at her heels I tell you. Lol! Thanks, this is a real over the top recipe. Luckily I love over the top stuff.
That popcorn looks like it is to die for! Yum!
Thank you so much. It really is amazingly good.
Curry and Comfort
I love two things in this post.. your turtle popcorn gone wild and that lovely I Love Lucy canister!! I want one... Wahhhhhhhhh! 🙂
Thanks so much. That jar is a real beauty. The kids sure know how to pick out gifts. I've trained them well I think.
I hear popcorn ships really well.... hint, hint!
Lol, I'll have to look into shipping rules. I have no idea what can cross the border these days. You could come visit me. *hint hint*
Dee at Deelicious Sweets
I have always wanted to visit Canada. I have a passport now too. Look at me working my way up in the world!
The Harried Cook
I can't decide if I hate you or I love you... This is ridiculously tempting! Can you please send me some? I would pay a lot for this! And please send me that jar too. It is really cute... Let me know where to send you my address. Thanks much!
You know you love me. How can you not? It's turtles and popcorn. I could probably send the popcorn but the jar is precious. I hope the kids get me more Lucy stuff for easter. *hint hint* *wink wink*
Yes, I can't believe Paula has a recipe that isn't sinful enough. I love all of your popcorn recipes. I've been trying to plan what to do for the kid's birthday party and I keep coming back to your popcorn recipes to be on the menu. I might as well just have a Kim's popcorn-themed party! 🙂
I know right. This might actually make me the devil. Ruining waistlines one treat at a time. Lol! There you go, ode to the Lunatic partah!
Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen
This turtle thread is killing me. I HAVE to make this!
Thanks. I have been having way too much turtle fun.
Tori @ The Shiksa in the Kitchen
I think what I love about this post most of all is the mug! Don't get me wrong, I like the popcorn plenty. Toffee and chocolate is a great mix. But the I Love Lucy mug really takes it over the top for me. 🙂
Thanks Tori! I love me some Lucy! The kids got that for me for Christmas!
Cannot wait to make this! Your I Love Lucy container is adorable.
Thank you so much. My kids really surprised me with that. At first I thought it was the videos then I fell over when I saw it was a cookie jar.
These popcorns are so beautiful and mouth watering. Its one thing I 've never done but I can see I'm going to have to start figuring it out. I mean, its got to be good for you, right? Its popcorn! How bad can it be?
Totally true. Popcorn is good for you. In theory. But I am a rebel so theories be damned. Bring on the chocolate.
The Smart Cookie Cook
Good god, this is my dream come true! I love anything turtle. Please send me a bucket full asap!
Lol, I may have eaten it all. *burp*
Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats
Hi KimBee/ Kita!! Erm... I got confused there for a moment when you buzzed me over at my blog. Btw, I am liking your new blog look. Really slick. You know I really have to try this Turtle dessert combo. It sounds really good, and I'm sure it is. Btw, thanks for giving me a shoutout on Facebook. I am terrible with social networking, as when work ends, I just don't want to turn on my notebook till the next day. LOL... Missed ya indeed. I can't wait to check out what will you be up to. Would it be more ice-cream? Yummmmm.. Huggggsss, Jo
Hi Jo. I appreciate you popping by. I get like that some days too where I just can't bear another moment looking at the screen. Stop by when you can and don't stress when you can't. My motto is life first, blog second. You are welcome for the FB love. I enjoy FB a ton so goof on there when I can. I have a very cool ice cream coming up this week. Been dying to share it cuz it's sort of different than my usual taste.