Cute little Shortbread Christmas Mice. Sure to delight kids and adults at Christmas time.
Aren’t these adorable?
Aren’t these just the cutest things ever?
Don’t you just want to make them?
Don’t do it man!
It’s all an evil plot to drive you mad dog crazy at Christmas time. Ya, they’re adorable. Ya, they’re cute. Ya, you want to make them.
Can you tell they drove me crazy? Honestly, these mice are evil. And really particular to make. But if you want to be foolish and throw caution to the wind, well I can’t stop you. All I can do it give you the information and wish you well on your own journey to madness. You’ve been warned. Here’s the stupid recipe!
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 15 maraschino cherries with stems (seriously man, good luck finding them. I live in a culinary wasteland and we cannot find cherries with stems if our lives depended on it)
- ⅔ cup white candy melts (the original recipe calls for white chocolate chips, don't do it man, it's a trick. The chocolate slides right off the cherries, and they turn out yellowy, not white. It's a trick, use the candy melts I beg of you!)
- ½ teaspoon veggie oil (I'm on the fence about this. It makes it runny and then the melts can slide off. If you use it you must use caution. Try half a batch with it first to see if they slide. If not forgo the veggie oil and save your sanity. It will be thicker but it will stick!)
- 1 package of shortbread triangles (seriously, good luck finding a box of shortbreads with just triangles in it. We had to buy a mixed bag. But the perk is leftover shortbread cookies so there is some silver lining here)
- 30 sliced almonds (buy way more than you need! Sliced or slivered almonds are the devil's handiwork. They break easy and they always have half a bag broken, so you have to pick through. Cuz, you know, you don't have enough to do already finding cherries with freaking stems on them)
- 15 white chocolate chips (um, nothing bad to say here, white chocolate chips rule)
- 15 small red candies (this is just plain stupid, good luck finding noses for yours. If you live in the city maybe you'll luck out. I do not and tried 3 different kinds and they all slid off and looked stupid. But do yours with them. Then come back here and tell me off after you lose your patience placing them)
- Place some waxed paper on your counter so you have a work area for the chaos about to unfold.
- Dry your cherries with a towel. Honestly people, this takes forever and a day. I suggest drying them over night or pulling out a hair dryer to dry these suckers up enough for things to stick. And turn these devilish cherries upside down cuz the liquid likes to hide inside and just when you think they are dry you will turn them over and your head will want to implode from stress. Just warning you now.
- If you have bloody strength or patience left after the cherry incident from hell, you can now pop the candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. It takes about a minute to a minute and a half to melt these but check them every 15 seconds one you hit a minute. You've been warned. They go from cute and melty to hard rocks of lead quickly.
- Now if by some miracle you found cherries with stems you can use the stem to dunk them in the candy melts. If not use a spoon to swirl the cherry around in the bowl, then lift it out and transfer to a fork so most of the excess doesn't come with it. Place the covered cherries on the shortbread cookies. Then hope for the bloody best at this point.
- If you lucked out and your cherries were dry, you can now wait about 30 to 60 seconds, then pop the almonds on in a 45 degree angle so they look like ears. This will drive you to drink so have liquor handy while doing this step.
- Now take your white chocolate chips one at a time, dunk them backside really carefully in the extra melts just enough to get a sliver of melt on it, then stick the nose to the front in the middle of the almonds. Good luck, have that liquor handy once again. You'll need copious amounts of it. Ask the kids to leave the room. I can't be responsible for the words that will come out of your mouth at this stage.
- You can put a little red candy on the front for a nose. Good luck. I expect you want to punch me in the throat right about now. You're welcome.
Thanks for the laughs Betty!
Make sure you stop by all the Cookie Week peeps posts. I have a feeling they are less bitter than I am right now.
Bethmännchen cookies by Masala Herb
Chewy Brigadeiro Pecan Bars by Food Lust People Love
Chocolate Cookie Thumbprints with Sweet Pepper Jelly by Omeletta
Chocolate-Stuffed Gingerbread Cookies by i heart eating
Earl Grey Icebox Cookies by Crumb
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Homemade Thin Mints by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies by Like Mother Like Daughter
Miso Sesame Cookies by NinjaBaking.com
Peppermint Cream Thumbprint Cookies by Beyond Frosting
Salted Caramel Stuffed Toffee Chip Cookies by The Cooking Actress
Sandwich Cookies by Texana’s Kitchen
Giant Ginger Cookies by Jen’s Favorite Cookies
I hope you are enjoying Cookie Week. Don’t forget to stop by the Giveaway Post to enter to win great prizes!
Thanks for following along with us this week!
Welcome to #cookieweek my little cookie monsters! Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen and Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic have joined together this week with 23 of their blog friends to present to you a week of cookie treats! We have every type of cookie you can think of listed this week, including something for our furry friends! Now is the time to bookmark these recipes for the upcoming holidays and cookie swaps or simply visit our Pinterest board! Make sure you enter the giveaway with some fabulous prizes from KitchenAid, King Arthur Flour, OXO,Silpat and Zulka Pure Cane Sugar to help with your cookie making needs!
Now go make these annoying cookies right now. I want to hear if you’re experience was as brutal as mine. Cute little suckers my goodness, it’s the devil’s handiwork here. Good luck keeping your sanity. Please don’t come back and yell at me. Or punch me in the throat when you see me. I warned you they were going to drive you over the edge. You’re welcome.
Toodles and smoochies! xx