Chicken and Potato Bake with Meyer Lemons #SundaySupper

Chicken and Potato Bake with Meyer Lemons | Super easy to make and utterly delicious!

I love a good one dish meal, it makes prep and clean-up so much easier. This one is part of Sunday Supper’s 5 Ingredients or Less Theme. This is chicken, potatoes, lemons, and Italian Dressing. Seriously, this is so easy to make. You toss some spices on if you want to amp it up. A little coarse salt is all this needs in my opinion. You can add some fresh rosemary on it if you like, it’s completely optional. This is just an easy recipe that lets the flavour of the food stand out.  Some recipes don’t need a lot of jazzing up. This is definitely one of them.

So I was supposed to take last week off work. Aside from watching a little more TV than usual I didn’t end up getting any time off. I swear it’s a curse. I always plan to have lots of down time and then end up working the entire time. I figure if at first you don’t succeed try, try again right. I’m going to attempt this again next month and see if I can actually get all my work done ahead of time, and all my guests posts scheduled way in advance. Sooner or later I’ll eventually get a day off. I could use some serious downtime.

I did manage to get some extra cooking done which was really nice. I’ve got a backlog of about 15 posts for one blog now, and about 30 filler posts for the other one. So huge strides in the recipe development area. I had notes strewn about the entire house. Does anyone else do this? I write them down on notepads, pull them off and they end up in every corner of the household. Next weekend we’re going to do a little kitchen project. I want to put up some organizational bulletins inside the cupboards. If we get around to doing it I’ll post the step by step photos in a post in case anyone else wants to try it. I swear I used to be so “Martha” and now I’m just a hot mess with poor organizational skills. I’m not sure who to blame. Usually when things go awry around here I try to blame the dog. Unless I hire her as my secretary I’m not sure I can pawn this off on her.

Malia

Make sure you scroll down so you can visit all my Sunday Supper peeps. They sure know how to rock it out for Sunday Supper. This group is extremely talented and just the most supportive bunch of bloggers you could ever meet. I’m so happy I’ll be meeting so many of them in July at the Food and Wine Conference. So excited to head to Orlando for some sun, fun and loads of foodie bonding.

Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!

Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest |Instagram |G+ | Kiss My Smoke

Lemon Chicken and Potato Bake with Meyer Lemons

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 55 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: Serves 4

Lemon Chicken and Potato Bake with Meyer Lemons

An easy one dish meal that will impress your family and friends. This Chicken and Potato Bake with Meyer Lemons is easy to make, and a cinch to clean up! Plus it's only 5 ingredients, so it's super simple and inexpensive.

• 4 split chicken breasts
  • 2 pounds of baby potatoes, cut in half
  • 2 cups of Italian Salad Dressing
  • 2 meyer lemons, sliced thinly
  • Rosemary, optional
  • Coarse salt, to taste
  • Water, add if needed (I added about 1/2 cup around the thirty minute mark)

• Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  • Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
  • Lay the chicken breast down in the dish, I put them towards the corners.
  • Add the potatoes and spread evenly in the dish.
  • Pour the dressing over top of the chicken and potatoes.
  • Lay lemon slices over the chicken and potatoes randomly.
  • If you want rosemary you can add it now, or just use it for garnish later. Some folks like rosemary, some don't. So it's a completely optional ingredient.
  • Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven. Cook for 55 minutes total. (Check the chicken at 30 minutes to make sure there's enough liquid, and stir the potatoes around. If you need more liquid you can add some water at this point. I baste everything at this point to keep the chicken moist. Slide the casserole dish back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes. Check again by pulling the dish out of the oven and baste again, and move the potatoes around a bit. If you need some water add some. Slide back in and cook for another 10 minutes.) The basting will really help. Don't be shy to add a little water if the dressing cooks off too quickly.
  • Remove from the oven. Discard rosemary.
  • Transfer everything to a big platter and serve family style, or just place the casserole dish on a heat resistant trivet on the table.
  • Serve with a big old lemon chicken loving smile!

You can add water as it cooks to keep it moist and prevent it from sticking to the pan. I added about 1/2 cup at the thirty minute mark. Just keep an eye on it and add as needed.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Appetizers, Salads and Starters

Sides and Accompaniments

Main Dishes

Desserts and Beverages

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Sunday Supper Movement

Thank you to this week’s hostess, Alice of Hip Foodie Mom. Also a huge shout out to our fearless leader, Isabel of Family Foodie. Thanks for all your hard work ladies.

Comments

There’s nothing better than baked chicken and roasted potatoes… that’s one of my favourite meals!

Chicken & potatoes was my dad’s favorite Sunday supper! I never knew until this moment that my mom’s recipe most likely had Italian dressing in it. I never bothered to find out… it was too good good, and there were 8 of us hoarding it off of the platter, so I was a bit busy throwing chicken into my piehole to ask her :)

• 4
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Ha, I love using dressing in recipes. Works really amazing for the grill too. Great marinade for meat. I think every family has a chicken and potato recipe they love.

Yummy! Complete dinner in 5 Ingredients or less! But…I’m super impressed with how many recipes you got done during your “break” – Congrats! Can’t wait to check them out!

• 6
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks Marjory. I love this recipe.

I got so much cooking done. I had one of those creative bursts and just went nuts. My freezer is jam packed now. I wanted to do it so I didn’t always feel pressured to meet deadlines. Takes the edge off.

One pot meals are my life right now. This is going on the menu this week!

It is funny because I don’t like Italian dressing as a dressing but I just love it as a marinate for chicken. I use to work at Cracker Barrel and that is what they use for their grilled chicken. Such great flavour and with the meyer lemons I imagine this is even better.

• 10
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Same here, I hate salad dressing on salads. Yet they make super amazing marinades. Super flavourful for stir fries too.

I am addicted to meyer lemons. Something about them just makes me so happy.

Haha. I’m sure it’s all Malia’s fault! So glad to see you back with the SS crew this week with your amazing one pan meal. It will be a BLAST to see you next month AND in July! xx

• 12
      Kim Beaulieu says:

It totally is. She’s evil. I can prove it and bring her to blogher food and she can room with you. Bah ha ha.

Thanks. I can only do the odd one but it’s fun to join in on occasion.

I am so excited we’re doing both conferences. Going to be so much fun.

Yeah, I’m a sucker for good one-dish meals too. And this one looks terrific! Love that top photo. It’s weird, but my free time never works out either. So I just play hooky when I’m supposed to be doing other stuff to make up for it!

Great looking dinner and so easy too, love it!!

Wow. I am speechless. This is something I would love to make and plan on trying it soon. Pinned.

Kim,
    I’m so bummed I am missing the Food & Wine conference this year . . you guys are going to have a blast! love your lemon chicken and potato bake. . delicious!

• 20
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I am so bummed you aren’t coming Alice. I would love to hang out with you. Are you doing any others this year?

Thanks. I love the simplicity of one dish meals.

WOW! This does not look like it 5 ingredients, It looks like something you get in a French Bistro, Amazing Great job!

• 22
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks so much Deanna. I swear sometimes the simpler recipes are the best. We love this one.

So I would be tempted to try anything that claims 5 ingredients and one dish. But this one looks really good all on its own. The other things are just a bonus!

What!? 15 posts ahead of yourself and another 30 for the other one? I’m lucky if I can get one post ahead. What tea are you drinking? The Chciken sounds fantastic! I’ve bookmarked it and will be making it soon.

• 26
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Ha, I know right. I got carried away. It’s called pepsi, and lots of it.

Thanks. Hope you love it.

Of course, I love anything with meyer lemon. It’s so bright and fresh. But this one pot meal here? Oh man. It looks beyond delicious!

• 28
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks so much Kim. I love easy recipes, and meyer lemons are my heart. I adore them.

Love big family chicken dinners. Can’t wait to try this. :)

This looks like a great meal, one that my whole family would love. You seem pretty organized to me 15 posts ahead, that sounds well, organized.

• 32
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks so much. I went on a baking binge while I was on staycation. It was lovely.

You’re so organized in my mind at least. 30 recipes done! Wow…. I’m way behind but short on time… Hope to get that fixed by the end of this week but new design and all too which will go live this week (fingers crossed) so I have no posts scheduled. Which is kind of a strange thing…
    Anyway, that chicken looks amazing,

Oh you can’t blame things on that sweet face! I hope she’s at least helping keep the floor clean! So yeah, chicken and potatoes in pot. It’s the perfect meal.

• 36
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Ha, she is obsessively cleaning the floors, so much so I’m starting to feel inadequate.

Thanks lady. xx

Oh my gosh – those potatoes look absolutely drool-worthy!

And I feel your pain. I look forward to getting time off for spring break, or Thanksgiving, or Christmas break (I’m a teacher)…and I have all these ideas about relaxing. It never seems to happen. I’m up before 6am…running errands, tending to things. Um, relaxation? What is that??? ;)

• 38

Thanks Katie.

I know right. It’s so weird. I had the opportunity to sleep in this morning and my best friend called. I was like NOOOO! ha

HUGE sucker for meyer lemons, I’m in!

Oh, good Lord…I want this NOW!! I adore Meyer lemons and have some on hand…this is on next week’s dinner menu for sure! Love it, Kim…

love the addition of meyer lemons!
    my recipe notes can be found on the backs of receipts, post-its, and any other scrap you could think of. I actually own a “recipe notebook”, but I can never find it when I really need it!

• 44
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks Amy. I try to throw them on everything. I’m out of control.

I finally got my act together and have a notebook for recipe notes and photo editing. That way I always can track back if companies get in touch.

1. WOMAN you’re amazing. I do not know how you keep up with 2 blogs-1 is hard enough! You def should make yourself take some downtime though!

2. This.is.AWESOME—I love one pot meals and chicken and potatoes…obviously :P I would gobble up the whole thing SO quick! perfect!

• 46
      Kim Beaulieu says:

1. Thank you. I rarely post to the other one. That’s my secret. Ha.

2. Thanks. Wish we gobble it up together some time.

Looks great – I would never expect for it to only have 5 ingredients!

• 48
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks Julie. The miracle that is salad dressing. It gets me out of lots of cooking jams. lol

I bet when those flavors soak in from the dressing that this a sooo goood!

OMG Kim, I made this last night and there was barely enough to scrape together for hubby’s leftover container for lunch! Absolutely loved it, even the picky kidlets ;) Love one pan dinners…Thanks again, you saved the day again!

• 52
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Yeah, I’m so glad you guys liked it. Can Karl have pasta? There’s a Red Pepper and Italian Sausage pasta on the site that is super easy and delish. But not sure if his diet allows pasta or not.

I’m doing up some more one pot wonders soon so keep your eyes peeled. I may do some to freeze for these guys while I’m in Miami. Otherwise no one will eat.

• 53

Yes he can have pasta, I just use a whole grain or vegetable pasta for him. I will try to find your recipe…and I will watch for your one dish wonders.lol

• 54

OK, I found both versions of the Roasted Red Pepper Pasta , printed them off and will try them this week too, I will let you know how it goes! Thx again…

• 55
            Kim Beaulieu says:

They both rock. I think there might be a third too. I have a think for roasted red pepper pasta. ha.

You just described my recipe organization process to a T. But I don’t have 30 recipes under my belt. WOW!! I do however have a pup that looks just like yours. Her name is Angel (HAHA) and when people ask me what kind of dog she is I say she is a West Highland White TERROR!!

• 57
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Ha, glad I’m not the only one.

OMG these westies are a handful. Does yours bark obsessively? Bite? Mouth back when you say no?

• 58

She did when she was younger and was a total brat and sooooo independent. No love unless SHE wanted to initiate it. Now she is 9 and blind so she is VERY lovey. The barking still happens but thank goodness we moved to a quite cul de sac so I am saved from that now :)

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous, the potatoes jump out of my screen! They look so so so yummy

• 60
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks so much Shaina. What’s hilarious is we were in such a rush to eat it I forgot to take proper plated photos of it.

To me the rosemary is never optional. It’s my fave! This chicken and potato bake looks delicious and beautiful!

I don’t think you need to call it disorganized. Your being artistic and sometimes creativity cannot be contained, filed or kept in one place. :)

• 62
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Ha, someone told me today never to use the word “should” because it equals guilt. Life changing moment. I will never say I should organize my notes again. Or anything else. I will or I won’t, no more should.

Rosemary is the bomb. It’s lovely.

Many years ago some friends of ours made grilled chicken that had been marinated with Italian dressing. There is something that just works with it. Add potatoes and lemon in the mix plus roasting sure has to be a winner.

Awe, little Demon Spawn looks so well groomed. :) I have notes scattered everywhere, too. I keep buying notebooks to keep everything in but I don’t use them…

Demon Spawn is too cute for that aka! I used to very “Martha” also, but lately I’m lucky to make it partially “Rachel”. This looks so lovely, and love the ingredients -never thought to include them all together.

You cannot go wrong with your ingredients list here… this is going to be an amazing and out of the ball park hit!

This chicken and potato bake looks really yummy,would love to make at home and try. I must try this at home and put some Indianness in it by trying some other hot spices. Great recipe.

Malia is a cutie! Love this one-dish meal. I’m all about less cleaning after dinner. This one is going on the menu! Pinned.

I LOVE Meyer Lemons — and lemon-flavor combined with potatoes? Divine! Thanks for sharing, Kim.

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it!

You had me at one-dish. ;)