This Sausage Smashed Burger Recipe is sponsored by Jimmy Dean®, all opinions are my own, as always. This sausage burger is full of flavour and packs a tasty punch!
I’m a burger girl. I love cooking burgers, whether it’s frying them indoors, or grilling them outdoors. Burgers are classic American comfort food in my opinion. Cooking them is as fun as eating them.
The possibilities are endless for burgers. You can dress them up, or go plain Jane with them. You can make them as thick as a tree trunk, or you can make them as thin as paper. It’s all up to you.
To me that’s the beauty of a burger. The customization, the possibilities for greatness, it’s all up to you. You can take simple ingredients and turn them into something seriously stellar.
I dig a meaty burger stacked to the ceiling with delicious toppings. If you’ve never tried sausage is your burgers you are really missing out. It takes a simple burger and turns it on it’s head.
Jimmy Dean® Roll Sausage is perfect for burgers. You can use Regular, Country Mild, or Hot. Or you can combine them for extra kick. I made these burgers with the Regular/Original variety.
Then I made my own pickles. Which is WAY easier than you think. I also made slaw from brussel sprouts. I know right, how cool is that. This burger is the epitome of awesome American burgers.
Jimmy Dean® knows their way around a burger. This recipe is absolutely stellar. When they asked if I’d like to try it I did a happy dance, then quietly acted like an adult when I emailed them back a giant YES.
That will be our little secret. Don’t tell the Jimmy Dean® crew. That would be totally embarrassing. M’kay.
You will find all 3 varieties of Jimmy Dean® Roll Sausage Products at Meijer. They carry Regular/Original, Country Mild, and Hot. If you are making this burger I recommend the Regular/Original.
You can pick up all the other supplies for the burger at Meijer while you’re there. That’s the beauty of shopping at Meijer. One stop shopping. I dig that. Plus it’s friendly and the staff is super helpful.
Swing by Meijer to stock up on TONNES of Jimmy Dean® Roll Sausage Products today. Then make this burger this weekend. Or now. Now is probably best. You’ll be thankful you did.
My family is big on burger bashes. We whipped these up for Sunday dinner, decorated the table like it was a cookout and forgot that’s it still freezing here. Then we watched The Walking Dead.
The family that eats together stays together. The family that watches The Walking Dead together will survive the zombie apocalypse together. True story.
Now go forth and make burgers. These burgers! Let me know what you think of them. I have a feeling they will become a family for you, just like the did for us!
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 2 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Original Sausage
- ½ cup Homemade Pickles, see recipe above
- 1 cup Sprout Slaw, see recipe above
- 4 cups diced onions
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 8 slices brioche bread
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup shredded jarlsberg cheese
- MAKE AHEAD OF TIME!
- In a small sauce pot combine sugar, vinegar and water, and bring the mixture to a boil. Once it boils, remove from heat, and add cucumber slices. Place in fridge for at least one hour prior to using them. After an hour the cucumbers will be tender but will still have texture and a bit of snap to them.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine Brussels sprouts, mayonnaise and garlic paste. Mix well. Place in fridge till needed.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, butter to the skillet, and cook on medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Stir often, until onions are tender. Drain and reserve excess butter to toast bread slices. There's flavour in the pan, never toss that out. Place onions in a bowl and place in fridge until they cool down.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of reserved onion butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Toast 2 slices of bread in the pan until desired doneness. Repeat this process with remaining ingredients.
- In the same skillet, heat the tomato slices until a slight charring occurs, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine the sausage and caramelized onions together, do not over-mix. Divide the sausage mix into 4 equal parts, then roll them into individual ball-shapes.
- Using the same skillet over medium heat, place the burgers in the pan, then smash the sausage into the skillet with a flat spatula until you have your desired thickness. Cook the burgers over medium heat for about 12-15 minutes, or until the natural juices run clear.
- Top with shredded cheese, and allow it to melt before removing from the skillet. You can cook them all in the same skillet, or cook two at a time.
- Remove from pan and layer the burger between toasted bread with tomatoes, pickles and slaw. Enjoy with a big old burger loving smile!
The elements of this burger are sheer perfection and will make all your burger dreams come true. Trust me.
If you’re looking for more great Sausage Recipes be sure to check out the other recipe I made for Jimmy Dean® Roll Sausage. It’s an Easy Cheesy Pasta Bake with Sausage and Peppers. Here’s a sneak peek of the recipe below.
Be sure to head over to check the recipe for the Easy Cheesy Pasta Bake with Sausage and Peppers out. You will love it.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Jimmy Dean®. All opinions are entirely my own.