This Arugula Salad with Shaved Asparagus, Shaved Carrots and Slivered Almonds is simple, elegant and delicious!
It’s okay, you are on the right blog. Occasionally I eat salad. Not often but occasionally.
Of course, I eat it with steak, potatoes and dessert. Honestly, that’s how I roll.
This recipe calls for shaved asparagus. You are now picturing asparagus as legs and someone is shaving them with shaving cream and a razor, aren’t you? I mean, it’s all good, it’s hard not to.
Just to clarify, if you are going to shave asparagus, hold the shaving cream and the razor, and use a peeler instead.
It’s super easy to get nice long strips when you use a peeler. That way you get the strips super thin. I shaved mine in smaller strips so they played nicely with the carrots and almonds. I didn’t want any of the vegetables getting asparagus envy. Fragile egos and all that jazz.
I highly recommend you make this today, drizzle some great lemon dressing over top, and then eat a steak.
You can make my Meyer Lemon Dressing to pour over this salad if you like.
So, go forth and make salad. Then, if you’re still hungry like me you can chase it down with a steak.
- Arugula – First of all, go buy some arugula. Buy it as fresh as possible. If you cannot find it you can substitute any lettuce you love, or use straight up spinach.
- Carrots – Next, add some carrots to your grocery cart too. Use baby carrots for this recipe. And by baby carrots, I don’t mean those little finger looking ones that are always soaking wet in bags. Buy fresh thin carrots. Costco and most local groceries carry them.
- Aspargus – Then, toss some asparagus in your cart as well. I recommend thin stalks for most recipes. They just taste better. Try to find fresh asparagus. If you can’t find it then use frozen.
- Almonds – Last, grab a bag of almonds. Slivered almonds are used in this salad. Any almond will do in a pinch though.
How to Make Arugula Salad:
- First, rinse and dry the arugula. Pop it in a big bowl.
- Next, rinse and dry the carrots. Peel the outside and discard. Then cut the ends off and shave thin round slices with a peeler. Toss the carrots in the bowl with the asparagus.
- Then, rinse and dry the asparagus. Use a peeler to shave long thin pieces off. Discard any woody ends. Toss the shaved asparagus in the bowl with the arugula and carrots.
- Lastly, add the slivered almonds to the bowl as well.
- Then, toss or mix the salad.
- Add dressing, if desired.
More Healthy Recipes:
- Greek Chicken Orzo Power Bowls
- Roasted Cherry and Pistachio Salad
- Chicken and Strawberry Salad
- Lightened Up Enchiladas
- Grilled Caesar Salad
- Pistachio Crusted Baked Cod
- Grilled Spicy Cauliflower Steaks from Kiss My Smoke
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Spicy Pineapple Dressing from Crumb
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Arugula Salad with Shaved Asparagus, Shaved Carrots and Slivered Almonds
- 5 oz arugula
- 3 baby carrots shaved thinly with a peeler
- 1 bunch asparagus shaved thinly with a peeler
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds more or less to taste
- Rinse and dry the arugula. Place in a large bowl.
- Rinse and dry the carrots. Peel the outside of the baby carrots and discard. Then cut the end off at a 45 degree angle. Now you can shave thin round slices with a peeler. Toss the shaved carrots over the arugula in the bowl.
- Rinse and dry the asparagus. Now take the peeler and slowly shave pieces off, you should be turning the asparagus as you shave it. That way you shave it all as evenly as possible. Discard any woody ends of the asparagus. Toss the shaved asparagus over the arugula and carrots.
- Toss on slivered almonds. You could toast them if you desire. I was in a hurry so I did not bother.
- Gently toss the salad.
- If you have a favourite dressing you can use that. I like lemon with asparagus so I used Meyer Lemon Dressing.
- Serve with a big old this did not fill me up smile!
Thanks for visiting today!