This easy Cherry Almond Macaroon Pie combines cherry pie filling, almonds and coconut for the perfect bite every time!
I had eyed this recipe awhile back. I stumbled upon it on a food site. So, kudos and acknowledgement go to the Pillsbury site for their recipe for Almond Macaroon Cherry Pie.
This was the bake off winner in 1986 and the winner’s name is Rose LeMon. I just had to try this one. Honestly, I only made one change to it.
If I make it again I’d be inclined to lose the almonds. Not sure my hubby would be on board with that though. He’s an almond lover.
I just loved it but think I would like it better with just coconut. But then I’m a coconut fiend, so there you go.
So try the original, or try it without almonds, or try it without coconut. Just try it. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.
For the Crust:
- Pie Crust – I used one roll of Pillsbury pie dough for this recipe. You can use homemade or any store bought pie dough.
For the Filling:
- Pie Filling – This recipe uses store bought cherry pie filling. Honestly, if you prefer making your own that’s cool too!
- Cinnamon – Any kind of cinnamon will do. It adds a nice flavour to the pie.
- Salt – This enhances the flavour and sweetness of the pie filling. I recommend not cutting it out.
- Lemon Juice – A little bit of tartness helps balance the filling. You can use fresh squeezed lemon juice if you have it.
For the Topping:
- Coconut – I used shredded coconut for this. You can use sweetened or unsweetened. You will be adding sugar so unsweetened coconut works if you want a less sweet pie.
- Almonds – Use sliced almonds for this recipe. They are the perfect size and texture for this recipe.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar is the way to go for this one.
- Salt – Again, a little bit of salt helps enhance the sweetness of desserts.
- Milk – I used 2% milk for this recipe but you can use whatever kind of milk you prefer.
- Butter – Honestly, you can use salted or unsalted for this particular recipe. Either works.
- Extract – This recipe uses almond extract which pairs perfectly with cherry, as well as coconut extract. You can swap them out for vanilla extract if that’s all you have.
- Egg – I used a large egg for this recipe. Be sure to beat it before adding it into the mixture.
How to make Cherry Almond Macaroon Pie:
- First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Next, roll out the pie dough and place it in the pie plate.
- Then, combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl. Mix it well then spoon the mixture over the pie crust.
- Transfer the pie dish to the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove after the 20 minute mark so you can add the topping.
- Combine all of the topping ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Pour the almond-coconut mixture over top of the cherry portion and spread it out. Place the pie bake in the oven and bake for another 20 to 3o minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Then slice the pie into pieces.
More Easy Dessert Recipes:
- Caramel Apple Dip
- Red Velvet Cream Cheese Cookie Stacks
- Coconut Cream Pie Dip
- Banana Coconut Sweet Bread
- Baked Fudge
- Cherry Cheesecake Dip with Cinnamon Pie Dippers
- The Best Brownies in the World
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake Bars
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Cherry Almond Macaroon Pie
- 1 pkg store bought or homemade pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Carefully roll out the pie crust, then place in a pie plate. Set aside.
- In a large sized mixing bowl combine all the filling ingredients together. Mix thoroughly. Spoon the mixture into the pie crust.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and set aside while you mix and add the topping. Leave oven on because you will be baking it again after that's added. Details in next step.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine all of the topping ingredients. Pour the almond-coconut mixture over the cherry portion of the pie and spread the topping as evenly as you can. Return the pie to the oven and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven when the top is golden brown.
- Serve with a big old cherry loving smile!
Thanks for visiting today!