Welcome to Brunch Week.
Today I have a special recipe for you.
It's so incredibly delicious and sweet it will blow your mind.
You all know I'm all about blowing your mind.
And your taste buds.
This is sure to do both.
I would have never considered myself a French Toast lover. I make it all the time for the boys in the household, yet I never really cared for French Toast. Then last year I went to a conference and had Bananas Foster French Toast.
My life has never been the same.
I mean look at this stuff.
Warm, ooey, gooey, sticky bananas over top off sweet, cinnamon-y bread.
It's like heaven...
on a plate...
I cannot get enough of this stuff.
So if you're looking for a recipe to impress your mama on Mother's Day this is the one for you.
And you're mama!
Bananas Foster French Toast #BrunchWeek
For the Toast Portion:
- 6 slices of baguette
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon of Roasted Saigon Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar vanilla brown sugar if you have it
- Dash salt vanilla salt if you have it
- 3 tablespoons butter
For the Toast Portion:
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees F.
- Take a cookie sheet and lay parchment on it, then place a wire rack over that. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine eggs, milk, roasted saigon cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour half the mixture into a shallow pan.
- Take your bread and soak it for a minute or two in the mixture, then turn over and soak the other side. Place the bread into a spare casserole dish over rimmed sheet. Repeat until you soak all 6 pieces. Then pour the remaining half the mixture over top. Let it soak in.
- In a pan over medium heat melt 1 tablespoon of butter, then add 2 slices of bread. Cook on each side till lightly browned.It should take about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Place the slices on the rack on the cookie sheet. Repeat until all 6 slices of bread are cooked. Then slide the cookie sheet with the toasts inside the oven to keep them warm until the bananas are cooked.
For the Bananas:
- In a medium to large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the bananas and cook them until they brown, which takes about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the orange juice, brown sugar, water, extract and walnuts.
- Cook on medium high for about a minute then reduce to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes.
Putting it all together:
- Take the cookie sheet with french toast out of the oven.
- Place slices on plates.
- Top with bananas foster mixture.
- Serve with a big old sweet smile!
Stop by all the other Brunch Weekers to see what they cooked up for you:
Watermelon Rosemary Champagne Cocktail by Vanilla Lemonade
Pear Hibiscus Brunch Cocktail by Rachel Cooks
Strawberry Rose Sangria by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Mocha Frappuccino by Around My Family Table
Pineapple-Basil Tea by The Kitchen Prep
Meat, Poultry and Fish
Bacon Canapés with Oranges and Maple Yogurt by Cook the Story
Chicken Bacon Ranch Panini by Sweet Remedy
Pancetta Wrapped Chicken by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Breads, Grains, Cereals and Pancake-type Yums
Cinnamon Raisin Bread by Katie’s Cucina
Mrs. Lund’s Fresh Plum Cake by The Vintage Cook
Chocolate Chip Banana Bundt Cake by Take A Bite Out Of Boca
Strawberry Scones by Kokocooks
Strawberry Mascarpone Tart by Kelly Bakes
Fruits and Veggies
Honey-Watermelon Soup by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Make sure you stop by to see my Candied Bacon post to learn how to make candied bacon. Seriously yummy and addictive.
Disclosure: I received a bag of California Walnuts to try out. I loved them so much I used them in this recipe. Just for the record this is the only thing I received as a gift for Brunch Week. And by now you know if I don't like something I'd totally tell you. It's how I roll. There was no compensation paid to me for Brunch Week. It's just a fun event I wanted to participate in.
The #BrunchWeek sponsors are:
Flavors of Summer
To see a full list of the prizes being offered just stop by the Candied Bacon post, it has photos of all the wonderful prizes.
Punch in your info in the rafflecopter below for more chances to win!
Other brunch recipes I love:
Thanks so much for reading. Make sure you tune in from Wednesday to Saturday for more #BrunchWeek recipes.
Toodles and smoochies! xx