Yeah that’s right baby, it may be cold outside but that is no reason to shy away from some yummy fruity goodness. Eat some of this today and you can eat all the cookies you want on Christmas. Yes fruit is more expensive in the winter months but you just have to look around for bargains. Our market had a 2 for $5 deal on fruit. So me and mini-me went to town buying up some raspberries and strawberries and blueberries. Satsumas are in season so we picked those up. I picked up lots of healthy snack food. Then we got home and mini-me declared we have nothing to eat. I rolled my eyes and she clarified. Okay we have stuff to eat but no junk food. Um, I have fudge and four different kinds of cookies right now. More eye rolling. Mini-me clarifies again. Um, okay we have no chips and stuff. Ah, now we get to the heart of it. Chips and stuff are an important part of weekends. How could I forget this? Well, cuz I had this:
Mini-me and B went to rent a movie and came back with chips anyway. That’s okay, more for me. I’ll tell you how to whip up this little jar of yummy goodness. First a quick look at how to layer it:
So you are now wondering how to make it. Simple, you start with a catchy name and then work your magic.
For the Salad:
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 granny smith apple peeled
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 satsuma peeled
- 1 kiwi peeled
- 1 banana peeled
For the Juice:
- Juice from one satsuma
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Rinse and cut your strawberries in half. Lay as first layer.
- Peel your apple and cut into wedges. Drizzle with lemon juice and honey. Lay as your second layer.
- Rinse your raspberries. Lay as your third layer.
- Peel and separate your satsuma. Lay as your fourth layer.
- Peel and thinly slice your kiwi. Lay as your fifth layer.
- Peel and thinly slice your banana. Lay as your last layer.
- Now juice your extra satsuma and pour over top.
- Pop the lid on the jar and give it a good shake.
- Stick in fridge for an hour or so until it’s chilled.
- You can use it the next day but beyond that your bananas and apple will get discoloured. So best to use it up right away. Or switch those two fruits out to something that keeps better.
- Serve in small bowls. Or you can layer these in small individual size jars. I used a 1L for this one. It made one jar.
Hope you enjoyed this edition of FUN WITH JARS! I have something extra special in store for you next week. You are going to flip out when you see it. So much fun playing around with these things. And no injuries this week. The upside to recovering from the flu. You move slowly and approach your food with caution. My doc called to check in and was shocked nothing had gone wrong this week. I assured him I will visit him in emergency next week for sure. I mean we can’t have the guy out of a job now can we. He’ll be stalking me soon and tripping me just to make ends meet if I keep up this no accident lifestyle. I have my trench coat and sunglasses all ready so I can dodge him. Lunatic in hiding. Life is never dull.
Toodles and smoochies! xx