Easy to make “cheater ice cream ” recipe. This is one of my favourite recipes. I’ve been making this ice cream for over 30 years. It’s such an easy treat and your family and friends will go crazy for it.
Welcome to Day 6, the final day of Ice Cream Week 2014! This year the event is hosted by myself, and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We have teamed up with 25 amazing bloggers to bring you ice cream treats all week long. I hope you all threw out the scales this week. Better not to look!
This recipe goes back to when I was a teenager. This is something I learned how to make from a gal I babysat for. It was one of my dad’s favourite treats, along with most family members. It’s a total cheater recipe, you use ice cream and whipped cream to make it. But you don’t need to tell your guests that!
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 4 cups oreo graham crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 L vanilla ice cream softened
- 1 L Cool Whip divided
- 300 g package of Oreo Cookie divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup hot fudge sauce
In a large bowl combine the oreo graham crumbs and the melted butter. Mix thoroughly, and then press into mini spring form pans. Tamp the crumb mixture down, the bottom of a glass works, so does the blunt end of a honey dripped. Whack it down till it packs tight. Set aside.
In a stand mixer combine the ice cream and about 3/4 of the tub of cool whip. Whisk until combined.
Place about 3/4 of the cookies in a ziploc bag, take a rolling pin and whack the crud out of the bag until you break the cookies into small pieces. Now toss those pieces into the mixer. And good luck with this step, if you're like me you've inhaled about half the bag of oreos by now.
Mix the oreo pieces and ice cream mixture till fluffy, add the almond extract and give it another whir till it's mixed in.
Now before you pour this, right into your mouth if you're anything like me, let's go grab that hot fudge sauce. Don't even try to pretend you don't hide a jar in your fridge. We all do it. Just own it so we can move on.
I want you to heat the sauce, but only slightly. It should be barely warm, just loose enough to spoon out. Take this mixture, while trying to resist drinking it straight from the measuring cup, and spoon it over the oreo crumb base. Do not try to smooth it, that will create the crumbs to lift back up. Just pour the hot fudge sauce over randomly. It you want it more even, just swirl the dish around a bit.
Now pour the oreo ice cream mixture over top. Smooth the tops.
Place in the freezer for about 4 hours, or even overnight.
Remove from freezer and top with remaining whipped cream. Then top each one with a cookie.
Serve with a big old "I'm so glad we had two bags of oreos in the house" kind of smile!
Recipe Source: Cravings of a Lunatic, this one was inspired by a lady I babysat for named Barb Howson
Our sponsors for the event have provided us with some great prizes. A huge thanks to Cake Boss, Anolon, Microplane, WÜSTHOF, Page Street Publishing and Quarry Spoon. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen have tossed in a bonus prize of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker because they think everyone should own one!
Here’s what is up for grabs, One Winner Takes All:
- One Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine in White
- One Cake Boss Mechanical Ice Cream Scoop with Red Silicone grips
- One Cake Boss 4Pc Ice Cream Bowl Set, Icing Pattern
- One Anolon Advanced Bronze 2 Qt Covered Straining Saucepan with Pour Spout
- One Microplane Herb and Salad Chopper
- One Microplane Premium Classic Grater in White
- One WUSTHOF CLASSIC 9-inch Double Serrated Bread Knife
- One Copy of the Cookbook Making Artisan Gelato by Torrance Kopfer
- One Copy of the Cookbook Everything Goes with Ice Cream by Koralee Teichroeb
- One Copy of the Cookbook Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
- One Copy of the Cookbook Eat More Dessert by Jenny Kellar
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
- One Copy of the Cookbook Scoop Adventures by Lindsay Clendaniel
Be sure to visit all of today’s Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Coffee and Donut Sundae by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Pinot Noir Ice Cream by The Redhead Baker
- Triple Peach Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Root Beer Float by My Catholic Kitchen
- Black Forest Ice Cream Shots by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Ice Cream Sundae with Homemade Hot Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Key Lime Pie Milkshake by Love and Confections
- Caramel Toffee Apple Parfaits by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Orange Creamsicle Float by Noshing with the Nolands
- Gluten Free Baked Alaska by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Toasted Almond and Cherry Ice Cream by The Messy Baker
- Gluten Free Toasted Marshmallow Brownie Batter Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Coconut Ice Cream Snowballs by Mother Would Know
- No Churn Low Carb Zesty Citrus Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours
- Pina Colada Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Magic Shell by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
We would like to thank you all our readers for joining in the indulgence this week. Ice cream is always best eaten with friends.
Susan and I would like to thank all the participants and sponsors for joining in the fun. It’s take a village to make this much ice cream!
See you all next year for Ice Cream Week 2015. Be sure to stay tuned for news about Cookie Week in November and Christmas Week in December. Susan and Kim are always up for fun and food. Chow!
Disclaimer: I did not receive any product for participating in this event. The #IceCreamWeek Giveaway is open to U.S. and Canada residents only. ONE winner will receive ALL the prizes listed. Giveaway ends at midnight on August 31st. Winner must be 18 years of age. Winner will have 72 hours to respond to email notification of winning, or a new winner will be drawn. Thanks for entering.
Toodles and smoochies! xx