Vanilla Salt – Experiment # 1

So had a roller coaster ride of a day yesterday. Lots of ups and downs. Me and my daughter were going to go see Harry Potter but decided to see the Transformers movie instead. Turned out to be a good movie. Was a bit hesitant about it as the whole moon conspiracy idea was odd. But if you just put aside your disbelief and enjoy the ride it’s a great flick.

I just had to get out of the house yesterday. Life weighing on my mind right now. Luckily we have awesome friends who make sure we have lots of gift certificates for movies so we can get out of the house every now and then. Yesterday was one of those I need to escape days. If you don’t read my other blog (and why on earth aren’t you I might add!!!) then I will explain briefly what has me feeling blue. And trust me I don’t get blue often for someone who’s been through the ringer and back again in recent years. You may or may not know my hubs was laid off 3 years ago, worked in the auto industry. We thought it was like every other time they cried doom and gloom (my Dad worked at Ford’s for 30+ years so I’ve seen a lot of ups and downs with the auto industry in my life) and hubs would get called back. That it would be up and down for awhile then fine again. Well after a year it was apparent that things were different. We made the decision for hubs to go back to school for his engineering degree. I don’t work so we knew it would be tough. Cut to 2 years later and he is done school and cannot find a placement for his required 100 hours to finish off. Our savings is gone, we’re broke and life is getting really stressful. All extended benefits while he did his schooling will end in September. So imagine the stress. He has a part time job but it is not in his field nor does it pay enough to live off of. The school has been no help finding him something as our region just has nothing available. We may have to move but meanwhile both kids start University in about a month. Don’t even get me started on how we’re dealing with that. So while I just usually refuse to get down about it all, I believe it will work out and don’t think about the big picture too much. I’d fall apart if I did. But I keep getting people who want to know, they think they’re helping. So they ask the questions I have no answers to. What are we going to do? I don’t know, I really do not know. Usually I can shake it off. But for some reason this time it’s not working. In a horrible mood. It will pass, it always does.

So this will not be my usual chipper silly post. But I wanted to pop this up before I forget. I am still tweaking some more pics of it so I will add those later. For the time being I just wanted to pop this up.

I was reading Paula Deen’s magazine and stumbled on an article that I found intriguing. So I tried some of the stuff out. This is part one of five I believe. Enjoy.

Vanilla Salt
How to make your own vanilla salt.
Author:
Recipe type: Flavouring, Spice, Salt
  • 1 cup of sea salt
  • 1½ tablespoons vanilla bean paste
  1. In your food processor (or a blender would work) mix the salt and paste together. Place in an airtight container.
  2. Alternate method- cut open a vanilla bean and stick it in your salt shaker for a few days until the flavours come together.
  3. This can be used on seafood (ick) or fish, also on veggies. You can also use it in any dish that's sweet or in baking.

This can be used on seafood (ick) or fish, also on veggies. You can also use it in any dish where sweet and savoury are being combined. Have fun. Be imaginative. The possibilities are endless.

This is just such a cool idea. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Toodles and smooches! xx

Comments

1. Carol says

Look at you sharing such great ideas while you're down and out. Says a lot about the kind of person you are. :) And aww . . . I'm so sad about the stress. Hang in, my friend. XOXO

2. Trix says

Wow. This is my first time here … and I am really really sorry to read of your troubles. I hope things work out for you.

3. Kim Bee says

Carol- Thanks. I'll be fine. Just out of sorts. Not my usual silly self. Thanks for the support. It is much appreciated. xx

Trix- Geez hope I don't scare you away with my doom and gloom. Usually it's quite fun here. Having an off day. They will work out, it has to, the alternative is too scary. I'm an optimist. Oddly my friends are pessimists. I need to convert my friends I think. Lol!

4. Torviewtoronto says

wow I never thought of salt but I make my sugar just like this because I don't use vanilla essence
    hope you feel better Kim

5. Lindsey@Lindselicious says

Feel better Kim, hope the weekend brings you some big smiles! This is such a cool idea… my mind is churning trying to think what I would use it for!

6. Stephanie says

Sorry to hear about your struggles! Hope things get better soon!

This vanilla salt sounds so good! What a unique idea!

7. Kim Bee says

@Amy- Thanks. I know you guys have your own issues. Life can suck sometimes. I know it will get better though. Love ya! xx

@Lindsey- Thanks. I already feel quite a bit better. It never lasts long for me. You must try this. I am using it on fish this weekend I think.

@Stephanie- Thanks, I feel tons better today. Just needed to get it off my chest. Probably shouldn't have but it felt good to let it go. Hope you try this out. It's a fun idea. Endless possibilites. Plus your house smells awesome during the process.lol

8. Michelle O says

Well if you know me I love my sweet and savory. I think I might just have do this. So many things you could try it on. Very pretty presentation too.

Keep your head up Kim. That sounds like an awful lot to deal with. I know I don't really know you but I will keep you in my prayers tonight.

9. Hester Casey @ Alchemy in the Kitchen says

How the world has changed! Your story is such a common one unfortunately, Kim, but that is no consolation when you are experiencing it for yourself. I hope things improve for you and your family very soon.

10. Dee at Deelicious Sweets says

My hubby lost his job after 9/11 and was out for about a year. I was a stay-at-home mom and he had to go to work for my dad who is in construction. My hubby is a computer programmer! He has soft hands! He's no carpenter but he did what he had to do and eventually the IT market started hiring again. Just ignore the nay sayers and keep your head up. That's the only thing you can do for yourself and your family! It will get better :)

11. Kim Bee says

@Michelle- Thanks so much for the compliment and the well wishes. It means alot.

@Hester- So true. I tell myself it could be worse every day. I've managed to stay upbeat through alot but think I hit my limit the other day. Thanks so much for the moral support. I really appreciate it.

@Dee- That's the way it seems to be these days. Hubby is working part time at a grocery store and he hates it but he goes anyway. Now he has part time at the Ford feeder plant so it is helping. He has an interview tuesday but not for the hours he needs for the apprentice but if they offer he could take it until something comes up. I know it sounds weird but I do better just going day to day. I try not to think about the big picture. It works for me. I rarely get down but man the other day was rough. Thanks for the support my dear. It helps to know we're not the only ones who've been through it.

1. […] 2 cups brown sugar 3/4 cup corn syrup 3 heaping tablespoons peanut butter 1 tsp vanilla 1 tsp vanilla salt Leftover chocolate from Christmas- I used 15 squares of Icy Squares melted in a double boiler […]