Saffron Ice Cream

Simple and delicious saffron ice cream recipe. This is a no egg recipe.

Saffron Ice Cream | Simple and delicious saffron ice cream recipe. This is a no egg recipe.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Oscar night is fast approaching. Do you all have plans? Anyone having an Oscar party? I plan on strapping on a ball gown and just walking around the house thanking everyone all night long. I might even go out and thank some of the neighbours. A girl’s gotta be gracious right!

I love a good award show but seriously there must be one on every single weekend. I don’t see us normal folk having Mommy Award Season or Construction Worker Award Night. Just seems so odd how often Hollywood wants to pat themselves on the back. Isn’t the bags and bags of money enough for these people? Okay so I say to the Actress or Actor of the year, if you really are grateful and mean it from the bottom of your heart that this award is gratitude enough for you doing your job, then you should send me the bags and bags of money to prove it. We’ll see who’s thankful a week later after paying off my mortgage, paying my kids tuitions and paying off my bills. Heck I might even have enough left for an epic run to Sephora. A girl’s gotta look good right!

In all seriousness, I will watch cuz let’s face it I am a girlie girl. I love me some fancy clothes and seeing everyone all dolled up. I really could care less who wins or loses. I just want to see some actress who gets 20 million a movie trip walking up to the podium, I’m not gonna lie. That’s why I watch. Nothing says we’re all equal like tripping, spitting while you laugh, being caught saying mean things when the camera pans to you and forgetting to thank your spouse while the music cuts you off and you now realize you’re sleeping on the couch for a week. These are the things I live for. A girl’s gotta have goals right!

So as I sit watching the festivities I plan on eating this. In reality I will be sitting on the couch in jammies, hair in ponytail, with a blankie, dog on my lap, while eating this ice cream and quite likely eating a pound or two of pistachios. I cannot tell a lie, I’ll probably down a gallon of pepsi too. A girl’s gotta indulge right!

Saffron Ice Cream

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Dessert, Ice Cream, Frozen Desserts
Serves: 10
  • ¼ teaspoon saffron threads
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup vanilla sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla salt
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Over medium heat, bring milk to a low boil with saffron threads in it. Once it boils set it to simmer, cover and let it sit for 30 minutes.
  2. Allow milk to cool off a bit. You can just transfer it to a bowl or stick in the fridge for 5 to 10 minutes.
  3. In a mixer combine the saffron infused milk, vanilla sugar, and vanilla salt. Mix until sugar dissolves.
  4. Add the heavy cream and vanilla and mix until well blended.
  5. Cover this and stick in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
  6. Now transfer this liquid to your frozen ice cream maker bowl, set it on the ice cream maker stand, and turn on for 15 to 20 minutes.
  7. You can eat it right away or pop it in the freezer. Just remember to take it out 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
  8. Serve with a smile!
Yields 5 cups

I have to say this is one of the best ice creams I have done. It’s just a spin on Cuisinart’s Vanilla Ice Cream but I’ve used my Vanilla Sugar and Vanilla Salt to make it pop. It really goes nicely with the saffron. It’s one of the plainest looking ice creams I’ve ever done but for sure one the top 10. So the Oscar goes to the Lunatic’s Saffron Ice Cream. “I’d like to thank all the folks who make this possible. Now please have Hollywood send me bags and bags of money”. A girl’s gotta dream right!

Comments

Hi Kim, I am glad to see your new blog up an running. Yey! Well done!
    No, we are not going to watch the tonight ceremony, Maybe a little, it my son will fix the anthena (we don’t have cable. Long time ago we choose not to have it, and never regret it). But we can have your ice cream!

• Kim Bee says

Thank you so much Marina. I am really happy with it. I’ll be doing more in the Spring. I really want a logo and some more fun graphics. I don’t blame you for getting rid of cable. It is so expensive. I keep threatening to toss the tv’s out the window. Time suckers!

• Kim Bee says

Lol! In breaking news people across the globe dress down as Hollywood dresses up. I love it. This ice cream took me by surprise. It is so good. I wish I could put tasteovision on my screen. I could not believe how yummy it was. Usually I like the crazy flavours.

I bought an ice cream attachment for my mixer recently and have yet to use it…this looks like a perfect recipe to test it on! Love that there is no custard to make….wonderful pics too!

• Kim Bee says

Asiya, you must try it. Ice cream is so easy to make and tastes far superior to anything you’d get in a store. I am not a huge fan of the egg type ice creams. Thanks for the compliment on the pics. I am trying so hard to take better photos.

• Kim Bee says

Lol, I am trying to get everything done so I can sit down and chill out in my jammies and rock the ponytail. *hands Roxanna a spoon*

Wow,saffron Ice cream,interesting recipe for ice cream,I wish I have that for my dessert right now and yes I need a spoon please :) your new blog looks nice !

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Ridwan. I loved this ice cream so much. It’s so different than most of my others. Very subtle. So glad you like the new blog.

KIM! The blog looks FAB and it is certainly ready for the red carpet! This ice-cream is the Audrey Hepburn of ice-creams, too. Understated, elegant and will stand the test of time! BRAVO, girlfriend! Enjoy your accolades…you deserve them!

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Ann. I swear I wanted to put red carpet all over the house today. I almost cried when you called it the Audrey Hepburn of ice creams. She is my favourite actress of all time and I don’t think anyone knew that. Mini-me has a pic of her in Breakfast at Tiffany’s on her wall I had framed for her. Thanks for making my day. xx

You do have an amazing talent with ice creams and I really do like the way you went with the saffron flavor here-yum! Your pictures do convey how creamy and smooth this creation is, amazing clicks!
    We may not be at the red carpet, but I am sure we will be much more comfortable than those stiletto heeled starlets.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Tina, I really enjoy doing ice cream. It’s like being a kid again. When I first read your comment I thought you said harlots. Rofl!

Well, you know that I’m watching. I’m an Oscar fanatic! Sorry. I’m secretly dreaming of being there, seated between George Clooney and that French guy from The Artist. I love the whole thing, from start to finish. This ice cream looks amazing Kim. I’ve never done anything with saffron threads but now I am inspired!

• Kim Bee says

Oh well who wouldn’t dream of that right. Although I’d probably chose Brad Pitt over George. We missed the red carpet part. Such a bummer. I had bought these eons ago. Finally found a use for them.

Your scoops look beautiful. I don’t know if I could describe the flavor of saffron all on its own. I would love to try a bowl of this. I used to dress up for the Oscars when I was little. My mom was not amused when I wanted to get a new dress for the occasion. Now I just want the pre-show on E! network and wait for the next morning news reports to see who wins.

• Kim Bee says

I haven’t watched it the last few years so was nice to kick back with mini-me and make fun of people. Er, I mean cheer the winners on.

Love the new look. You my dear, are funny as all get out! I have saffron taking up space and time in my cabinet. Hope it hasn’t lost it’s punch, because I want to make this.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks. And thanks. You must pull it out. I had picked some up and almost forgotten about it. It’s such a nice flavour.

Yipee for ice cream! I give it my vote for best dessert of the year. I am loving this variety, too. You will have to let us know how that plea for the bags and bags of money works out….

Is it possible to fall in love with ice cream – I mean over and over again, each week? … that’s TOTALLY what you’re doing to me!!

And I’m all for the fancy-pantsness … the glits the glam – – but if one of those little ladies fall OMG – – totally worth it all ๐Ÿ˜€ lol

• Kim Bee says

Lol, I love that. I just love ice cream. It’s like a sickness. As is watching people fall down. I think it’s due to me falling down so often.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Cassie. It is so subtle but good. It really went incredibly well with the vanilla. I am in love with this recipe.

What a neat idea for ice cream, twin!! You da man…erhmmm, woman!

You’re taking me with you to Sephora right? With a side trip to Godiva chocolate shop and Bath and Body Works??

• Kim Bee says

Thanks twin. I am woman, hear me roar, or purr. Whatever.

Yes, Sephora, Godiva, Purdy’s. Williams Sonoma, and BBB. Watch out world. The twins are being let loose.

I didn’t even watch the oscars this year…or see any of the nominated movies! I need to catch up…but you’re so right about all that. Anyway, this ice cream is out of this world!! I’ve had saffron ice cream a few times and it’s one of my favorite, most underrated flavors. Great photos too!

• Kim Bee says

I felt bad, I am usually a total movie nut but there were tons I had not seen. Very rare for me.

This is so subtle but so tasty. I fell in love with it. Thanks. I actually managed to get some decent natural light photos for a change.

Haha, I watched with several guys, but they’re all art school graduates and so pick cinematography apart. :)
    I looove saffron, it sounds fantastic in an ice cream!

• Kim Bee says

My son is a creative writing major so he’s all about the story. I am a girlie girl so I am all about the clothes. Lol. I liked the interview things they did in between this year, that was kind of interesting hearing stars memories.
      Thanks. It is really good. I was so floored by this one.

• Kim Bee says

We missed the red carpet. Was making paczki’s. Dang.

Thanks. I have to say I love this one above all others. Well except the chocolate fudge brownie pistachio.

Nope, didn’t make top 10, you made Top 9 !!! Congrats!
    I love me an ice cream without eggs. Plain is always good … you can always throw in a cake or 2 with it. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Better get a bigger mailbox.
    Did I mention I love your new look?

I just wanted to let you know that I made this ice cream last night and it’s incredible. It’s an ice cream that celebrates ice cream! Simple, creamy, delicious. A local Thai food restaurant does a dessert with warm black sticky rice on top of coconut ice cream, and the tastes are really similar and now I’m thinking the sticky rice probably has saffron in it.

• Kim Beaulieu says

I’m so happy to hear that. I love this ice cream, it’s such a subtle taste. Sort of “grown up” ice cream, if you will. I’m thrilled you enjoyed it. xx