How to make perfectly chewy chocolate cookies, even during the apocalypse! Make Carol’s Cookies for Dead Eats: Recipes Inspired by The Walking Dead!
Today both Dionne and myself are sharing Carol’s Cookies from The Walking Dead! You can find the recipe for Carol’s Cookies on AMC’s Website, or Nerdist!
The only thing I changed was I swapped butter for the shortening. I usually keep shortening on hand but had run out. Apparently I need to make a better pantry list for the zombie apocalypse.
I baked them at 350 degrees F, but I cooked them for less time than Carol’s because I wanted a really chewy cookie. They turned out amazing as you can see. I’ve made two batches now and they both turned out perfectly each time.
For one batch I used about a tablespoon of cookie dough for each one. The result was a seriously massive cookie. So the next batch I used about a teaspoon’s worth of cookie dough for each cookie. They were perfection!
I scarfed about half a dozen while taking photos for the blog. I was pondering how much I adore Carol on the show. Not only does she kicks some serious ass, but she knows applesauce works great in baking.
I think that’s what I love about Carol, she’s so diverse and makes the best of her circumstances. When I think of Carol I think the immortal words of Axel “you’re quite a lady”. She is. Quite a lady.
She’s grown and changed, but it’s her twisted sense of humour that keeps me hooked. Things like calling Daryl “Pookie”, or the scene where she asks Daryl if he wants to “screw around”.
I think my two favourites scenes with Carol and Daryl were the time she threatens to hose him down if he doesn’t shower. And the time they are climbing down from the lookout and Daryl says he’ll go down first and Carol replies “even better”. Not going to lie, I may have spit out my drink.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ large chocolate bar (you could substitute chocolate chips, ½ to 1 cup)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup shortening (you could substitute butter, I did)
- 1 cup flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (you could double it, or substitute almond extract)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. I have a funny feeling there will still be a ton of parchment paper when the apocalypse happens. It's as underused as Rick's razor.
- Combine the applesauce, shortening, brown sugar, granulated sugar, mix until all the shortening is blended well.
- Now add the baking powder, baking soda, flour, salt and vanilla, and mix until everything is combined perfectly.
- Now allow the batter to stand for about 3 to 5 minutes on the counter. No need to cover, it's not going to be out long enough.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, or in the microwave. I always prefer the double boiler method and use it more often than not.
- Once the chocolate is completed melted and smooth you can add it to the cookie batter. Mix thoroughly.
- Drop spoonfuls on the cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart because this cookie dough spreads quite a bit. You can make large cookies by using a large tablespoon full of cookie batter at a time. Or you can make smaller cookies by using a teaspoon full of cookie batter at a time. Repeat until cookie sheets are full.
- Place first cookie sheet in the preheated oven for about 11 to 13 minutes if making large cookies or 8 to 11 minutes if making small cookies.
- Remove cookies from the oven carefully and allow to cool. If you can resist the smell of warm cookies wafting through your house. I never can.
- Repeat with second cookie sheet.
- Serve with a big old "and you'll get cookies....lots of cookies" smile!
Her developing relationship with Sam has been interesting to watch. When she leans in to tell him how the monsters will eat him all up, all while he’s still alive, that was creepy as hell.
Then when he tries to bond with her over the cookies is so interesting. You get the sense she misses Sophia, Lizzie and Mika but she doesn’t want to put herself out there again. My hope is her and Sam bond over more cookies.
Welcome to Dead Eats: Recipes Inspired by The Walking Dead! The event is hosted by myself and Dionne of Try Anything Once. It’s a week long event from October 11 to October 17, with tons of recipes to inspire your next Walking Dead Party!
We’ll be giving away One Complete Set of The Walking Dead DVD’s, Season 1 to 5. The giveaway has lots of ways to enter! The giveaway runs from October 11 until October 31. So spread the word to all your friends.
Be sure to pop by yesterday’s How to Throw a Killer Walking Dead Party! Every day this week both Dionne, and myself will be sharing original recipes inspired by The Walking Dead on our blogs.
Cravings of a Lunatic and Try Anything Once are giving away One Complete Set of The Walking Dead DVD’s, Season 1 to 5! We’ve donated the prize ourselves. Thanks for entering! Good luck and stop back November 1, 2015 to find out who won!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: Post contains affiliate links. Thanks to everyone who helps to support this blog.