These Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas are incredibly easy to make but packed with intense flavour. Every bite is filled with bell peppers, onions and chicken, all wrapped up in a fabulous tortilla.
I love chicken fajitas! It's the perfect way to feed your family and friends with minimal fuss and expense.
I'm going to be honest, using the slow cooker when I'm crazy busy is my favourite thing in the world. It's a life saver when you're juggling a lot of balls in the air.
Not even kidding, I have three slow cookers. I'm sure that's likely to do with being a blogger. But I also love using them for buffet dinners and holidays at our place.
You can load up all your slow cookers with different things and people can mix and match. Crock pots are literally one of the best inventions, EVER!
Recipes made in the slow cooker are typically simple and easy. You just layer the ingredients, and add your own special touches. Them, jus hit the start button and let the slow cooker work its magic.
Meanwhile you can go about your day and juggle all your balls in the air. C'mon now, get your mind out of the gutter! You know what I meant.
For this recipe, I put a layer of sweet onions on the bottom of the slow cooker, then I added 4 kinds of bell peppers. After that I added the chicken, and dressing, plus some spices. It's really that simple.
Honestly, I cannot recommend this recipe enough. I mean, it's so darn good. You can even swap out beef or pork for the chicken if you like. No rules! Just a delicious dinner!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Sweet Onion: Vidalia onion is my favourite kind of onion for fajitas. Spanish onions are a close second.
- Brown Sugar: I used light brown sugar but you could use dark brown if you like.
- Bell Peppers: You will need one red pepper, one orange pepper, one yellow pepper and one green pepper.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: You can use any kind of chicken as long as the bones are removed.
- Italian Dressing: If you don't have any just use some olive oil instead. Personally, I like the convenience of using the dressing.
- Smoked Paprika: Be sure to use a good quality brand. You can use more or less, according to your own taste.
- Chili Powder: Again, use a good quality spice for this. Don't go crazy on this one. A little goes a long way.
- Garlic Powder: You can add fresh garlic if you prefer. Either is acceptable.
- Onion Powder: Honestly, you can omit this if you like. I just like the double of hit of onion flavour from fresh onions and onion powder.
- Salt and Pepper: Be sure to adjust this to your own taste. I'm not a fan of black pepper. Often I'll swap it out for white pepper.
- Cumin: Again, a little goes a long way when it comes to cumin. Go easy and adjust slowly.
Directions for Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- First, add the onion to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Secondly, sprinkle brown sugar over top.
- Then, toss in all of the bell peppers.
- Next, in a mixing bowl combine the Italian dressing and all the spices. Whisk then pour into the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for about 6 hours, more if needed.
- Now, once the slow cooker is finished cooking give the ingredients a good stir then transfer to a bowl. Drain excess liquid, if needed.
- Then, heat your tortillas in a pan or microwave.
- Lastly, top each fajita with mixture. You can add other things like sour cream, guacamole, lettuce or shredded cheese if you like.
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Easy Cheesy Pasta Bake with Sausage and Peppers
- Greek Chicken Orzo Power Bowls
- American Chop Suey
- Saucy Mozzarella Chicken Bake
- 30 Minutes Chicken Vegetable Skillet Pasta
- One Pot Pasta with Sausage, Peppers and Apples
- Easy Chili Cornbread Casserole
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest ~ Instagram ~ Kiss My Smoke
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- 1 large sweet onion sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 medium red pepper sliced thinly
- 1 medium orange pepper sliced thinly
- 1 medium yellow pepper sliced thinly
- 1 medium green pepper sliced thinly
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup Italian dressing
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- 12 tortillas
- sour cream, salsa, guacamole, shredded cheese
- Place the onions on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle brown sugar over top.
- Place the sliced red, orange, yellow, and green peppers over top.
- Place the chicken over top in an even layer.
- In a mixing bowl combine the Italian dressing, and all the spices. Whisk until combined. Pour over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker on low and cook for approximately 6 hours, or more, depending on how soft you like your peppers and onions.
- Once the slow cooker is done cooking, give the ingredients a good stir and transfer to a bowl or platter. Drain any excess liquid.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and place a tortilla inside, cook for 1 minute, flip and cook 1 minute more. Transfer tortilla to a platter. Repeat with as many tortillas as you need.
- Top each tortilla with the fajita mixture. Pile each one as high as you like, then dig in.
- Serve with a big old Fajita loving smile!
Thanks for visiting today!
If you’re looking for more dinner recipes be sure to check out my recipe index. You can also find a lot more chicken recipes as well.
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest while you’re here. I love pinning great recipes! Also, make sure you follow me on Instagram. It’s a great way to stay up to date with the blog.
What a great recipe! Living in Italy I know all too well about cooking in the heat so using the slow cooker sounds like a great idea especially for fajitas which is one of my favourite things!! You're blog is so lovely.
Dee Dee (My Midlife Kitchen)
You had me at slow cooker! Even in this heat, my slow cooker gets a lot of work--no need to heat up the whole kitchen for a great meal like this one!
Citra Kale @Citra's Home Diary
Oh my..how lucky you are have a wide backyard with the horse! I only can imagine enjoying summer bbcue everyday. 🙂 And your chicken fajitas looks superb! it is looking full of flavors! YUM
Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes
I agree that sometimes it's just too hot to grill! I love using my slow cooker in the summer. Great dinner idea!
Seriously - the Crock Pot is the best invention ever! This is an awesome collection of recipes, and such a great time to share it as life swings back into full gear.
These turned out amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Glad you liked the recipe. Thanks.