Ham and Cheese Sliders are an easy recipe you can have on the table in under 30 minutes. These tiny ham sandwiches are perfect for lunch, dinner or even as appetizers at parties.
You can use leftovers or sliced ham for this recipe. I highly recommend that you make an extra batch because these will fly off the platter at rapid speed.
Sliders are all the rage right now. Trends tend to come and go. What I love about this trend is it's not a new concept.
Moms have been putting fresh spins on sandwiches forever. Back in the day this was considered stretching a meal.
My Mom's generation and my Gramma's generation knew how to make a meal go a long way. You make something for dinner one night then use the leftovers in creative ways the next night, or two.
I grew up making one meal stretch into 3 or 4. Money was tight when the hooligans were little. I was a stay at home mom so we had to feed a family on one income. You learn to get super creative when money is tight.
If I made ham for dinner for a holiday I would make good use of the leftover ham. Typically we'd have ham and all the trimmings one night, then I'd make ham and cheese sliders for lunch the next day.
Other great ways to use up leftover ham is adding it to scrambled eggs or quiche. You can also make a ham casserole. I always freeze extra with my vacuum sealer so we have plenty on hand for lunches for the following month.
Nothing beats being able to pull some tasty ham to pull out of the freezer for months after a holiday. Some days are busier than others and those are the days where having some great leftovers on hand are a lifesaver.
I hope you enjoy these tasty ham and cheese sliders as much as we do!
Ingredients for Ham and Cheese Sliders:
- Buns - You can use Hawaiian sweet rolls, slider buns, or mini burger buns for this recipe.
- Ham - Either leftover ham or sliced ham will work. I make these with leftover spiral ham after every holiday.
- Cheese - I used Swiss cheese for this particular recipe. Personally, I like pairing the Swiss cheese with ham, but feel free to use any cheese you love.
- Butter - Any butter will do, it doesn't really matter if it's salted or unsalted. Use what you have on hand.
- Deli or Salad Dressing - Honestly, I absolutely love using dressings over sliders. They have great flavour and it saves so time when you're in hurry. Italian dressing is great on these. Lots of stores sell deli dressing or submarine dressing as well. Again, use what you have and love the taste of.
How to Make Ham and Cheese Sliders:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Next, spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Alternately, you could like the pan with tinfoil.
- Place the bottom buns in the pan. Do not separate them.
- Then, layer on the ham over the bottom buns.
- Next, top the ham with Swiss cheese.
- Place the top buns over top of cheese.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe mixing bowl.
- Add the deli dressing or salad dressing to the mixing bowl. Whisk or stir to combine it well. Pour over the sliders.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place the pan in the preheated oven, bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven but do not turn the oven off. It will go back in.
- Carefully uncover the baking pan by removing the aluminum foil, then place it back in the oven. Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the tops of the buns are golden brown.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven.
- Use a spatula to remove the sliders from the pan.
How to Store Leftover Ham and Cheese Sliders:
Store leftover sliders in a plastic resealable bag, lay a paper towel inside the bag underneath the sliders. Make sure you remove as much air as possible from the bag.
You can also store them in an airtight container. Again, I like laying a paper towel underneath the bottom layer just in case there's any extra moisture.
Leftover sliders can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
You may also store leftover sliders in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Defrost the sliders.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray your baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or line it with aluminum foil.
- Place the leftover sliders inside the pan. Cover with foil.
- Cook for about 10 minutes coverered, then 5 to 8 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from the oven.
- Place the sliders on a microwave safe plate.
- Pop them in the microwave and cook for about 30 to 60 seconds, depending on how many you are reheating.
More Easy Recipes:
- Turkey Cranberry Sliders
- Onion Strings
- Spicy BBQ Chicken Fajita Sliders
- Bow Tie Pasta Salad
- Slow Cooker Mini Rib Sliders
- Grilled Caesar Salad
- Whiskey Sliders
- Grilled Smoked Chicken Sandwich from Kiss My Smoke
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
Ham and Cheese Sliders
- 1 package slider buns or Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 1 pound ham leftovers or sliced deli ham
- ½ pound Swiss cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- ¼ cup deli dressing or Italian dressing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick spray.
- Place the bottom buns in the pan.
- Top the bottom buns with ham.
- Add swiss cheese over top of the ham.
- Place the top buns on top of the cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the melted butter and deli dressing. Mix until combined. Pour over top of the sandwiches. (Substitute for dressing in notes)
- Cover pan with tinfoil and place in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5-10 minutes more. You want the tops to be golden brown and the cheese perfectly melted.
- Remove from oven and use a spatula to lift out. Place on platter and watch them disappear.
- Serve with a big old ham and cheese loving smile.
Take a minute to follow me on Pinterest. I’m always pinning great recipes and lots of other things as well.
You should also take an extra second to follow me on Instagram. All my current recipes get shared over there so it’s a great way to stay up to date on blog recipes.