These little toasted coconut and cherry hand pies are absolutely scrumptious. Plus they are incredibly easy to make which is a huge perk!
I freaking love my mixer. I use it daily. It's my go to machine for all my baking needs. That sucker is whirring every single day. Usually multiple times per day!
Mine actually broke this week. We'll call it over-use. Nothing serious, the whisk attachment broke so I have to order a new one. Not going to lie though, I am scheming to convince the family that I need a brand spanking new one. They don't seem to believe me. I'll keep trying though!
This may be the only recipe that doesn't use my mixer on my blog. And only because the darn thing broke. Not sure if you have a stand mixer or not but if you ever get the opportunity to snag one jump on it. You'll never regret the purchase.
So Happy Holidays. To celebrate let's have some Toasted Coconut and Cherry Hand Pies. They are delightfully easy, and a real hit at parties. Whip up a quick batch today!
More Dessert Recipes:
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownies
- Cherry Almond Macaroon Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie Dip
- The Best Brownies in the World
- Apple Hand Pies
- Banana Coconut Sweet Bread
- Turtles Hand Pies
- Pink Lemonade Hand Pies
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Instagram ~ YouTube ~ Kiss My Smoke
Toasted Coconut and Cherry Hand Pies
- 2 pkg pillsbury pie crust
- 21 oz cherry pie filling
- ½ cup toasted coconut
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp milk you can substitute water if you like
- In a pan over medium heat heat the coconut, keep moving it about with a wooden spoon until it becomes golden on the edge. You can toast lightly, or dark. You can also speed up the process slightly by adding a tiny bit of brown sugar to the pan. The whole process should only take between 5 to 7 minutes, depending on your heat. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Roll the Pillsbury dough out. Cut out heart shapes with a heart shaped cookie cutter. You can use any shape you like, I just think the hearts are cute. I got he extra mile and cut a small heart in all the tops for venting. But you don't have to.
- Place half the cutouts on the cookie sheets.
- Now mix the toasted coconut with the cherry pie filling. Spoon some into each heart. Leave space around the edges to seal the pies.
- Make the egg wash by whisking the egg and milk together in a bowl. You can use this to help seal the edges of the pie, and also to coat the top to help them brown beautifully. Brush a little around the edges of all the pies.
- Place tops on all the pies. Now press the edges down all the way around to seal them. You can use your fingers or a fork dipped in either water, or flour. Press firmly all the way around the edges.
- Brush egg wash on tops of all the pies.
- Place the cookie sheets in the oven and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes. Start checking at about 12 minutes since every oven is a bit different. Once the tops are golden you can remove the pies.
- Allow to cool completely on cooling racks.
- Serve with a big old cherry loving smile!
Thanks for visiting today!
If you’re looking for more dessert recipes be sure to check out my recipe index. You can also find a lot more pie recipes as well.
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest while you’re here. I love pinning great recipes! Also, make sure you follow me on Instagram. It’s a great way to stay up to date with the blog.
Everyone needs a kitchenaid! Love these gorgeous hand pies... you made my favorite cherry too. 🙂
What cute little pies! Love the coconut + cherry flavor, sounds great 🙂
Carol at Wild Goose Tea
Thanx for the give away. Sweet pies----love the addition of coconut.
Simple and beautiful. Do you know I finally got a mixer two weeks ago. Yep, hand mixing and kneading for years. It is amazing and I am not in a the daily routine but it is certainly getting used. Dough attachments rock!
Stephanie @ Back for Seconds
Aww sad day. I am pretty in love with my mixer too! I think you deserve a whole new one - you will certainly make good use of it!
These pies are so pretty and I love the photos!
I don't use my mixer a ton, but I am always so happy that I have it whenever I'm baking. These hand pies are some of the prettiest Valentine's desserts I've seen in a long time!
These little hand pies are so pretty! My son would love these for Valentine's Day!
The Food Hunter
Oh I love how cute these are.
I remember when my father in law bought me a stand mixer for a wedding present and I was like, "I didn't have this on my gift registry, I will never use this!" Well I certainly ate those words and quite literally. Use it daily! These are so pretty for Valentine's Day!
Meagan @ A Zesty Bite
These are so stinkin cute. I'll definitely be making these.
My mixer is on it's last leg and I have been casually hinting to my husband for months I needed a new one. Then back in October I went to a blogger conference and my friend won a mixer in a raffle and gave it to me since she already had 2. Gahhhhh I was so excited! These little pies look so cute and pretty I wish I had one to eat with my afternoon coffee.
Lauren @ Healthy Delicious
I think I'm the only person who actually doesn't use their mixer that often. Then again, I'm not much of a baker. They *are* great for shredding chicken! These hand pies look really good - I love that you added toasted coconut (my favorite!!)
These look sooo darling. Let me add these to the list of surprise I want to give my husband!
Gerry @ Foodness Gracious
These are so cool Kim..and im a big cherry fan 🙂
Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes
I love the little heart cut outs on these!! Too cute!
These look SOOOO good. Never tried toasted coconut and cherry together before but I would imagine it's out of this world.
Oh no ~ it's the worst when well used appliances go our of order. Good thing there is Pillsbury 🙂 ~ I absolutely live hand pies and those are just super cute!
Kim @ The Celebration Shoppe
So pretty and love how easy they are for Valentine's Day treats!
kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox
These are adorable and I absolutely love toasted coconut. I think this will be MY valentine....to myself.
Heather | girlichef
I love all your versions of heart-shaped hand pies, but cherry is my favorite flavor - so I need these! I love the addition of coconut, I'm not sure that I've ever had the two together.