This turtles ice cream is incredibly easy to make and impossible to resist. It's rich, creamy and packed with flavour!
Hi folks. Trying to breeze through this post to get it up in 8 minutes. Do I stand a chance? Probably not. Here's hoping.
So as you read during my Turtle Bark post last year we only got one box of Turtles for Xmas. Well this year I think we scored at final tally about 6.
Yup, apparently people read my blog and must have felt sympathy for me. I even got a box of limited edition Turtles.
So, what do you do with that many Turtles. Well first you inhale the first 5 boxes, then you get a tummy ache, can't fit in your jeans and need an intervention.
Then you decide to unload them fast, now what's the best way to bring the rest of the family to the dark side? Well ice cream of course.
Mini-me crossed over to the dark side with me just a few moments ago. We got home from the barn and each had a bowl.
When we realized there were no clean spoons in the house as I forgot to turn on the dishwasher well I admit it, we both ate our Turtle ice cream with forks. Yup, we're a classy bunch here.
Welcome to the dark side young mini-me. You'll like it here.
- Cocoa Powder - Any cocoa powder will work in this recipe. I love the Hershey brand for quick recipes like this.
- Sugar - This recipe uses both white granulated sugar and dark brown sugar. I don't recommend substitutions for either.
- Salt - A small pinch of salt will enhance the sweetness of this ice cream.
- Dairy - You will need whole milk and heavy cream to make this turtles ice cream recipe.
- Extract - Vanilla extract is preferred for this ice cream but you could also use chocolate extract or almond extract in a pinch.
- Candy - I chopped up Turtles candies and tossed them in the ice cream. It's so good and the more the better, in my humble opinion.
How to Make Turtles Ice Cream:
- Combine sugars, cocoa powder salt and whole milk in a stand mixer bowl. Mix until the sugar dissolves fully.
- Then add heavy cream and vanilla extract to the bowl. Mix until it thickens a bit.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for about an hour.
- Remove the bowl from the fridge and transfer the mixture to an ice cream machine bowl.
- Place the bowl on the ice cream machine and turn on. Allow to blend for about 15 minutes.
- Add chopped turtles candies to the finished ice cream and use a wooden spoon to gently mix the pieces into the ice cream evenly.
- You can serve immediately or cover and place in the freezer until desired.
- If freezing it, be sure to remove it about 5 to 10 minutes before serving so it's easier to scoop.
- Serve and enjoy!
More Ice Cream Recipes:
- Roasted Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Chocolate Hot Fudge Root Beer Float
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream
- Brownie Explosion Ice Cream Sundae
- Copycat Moosetracks Ice Cream
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Cupcakes
- Oreo Ice Cream
- Chocolate Coconut Milkshake
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Turtles Ice Cream
- Stand Mixer
- Ice Cream Machine
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 10 Turtles cut into 6 pieces each
- In your stand mixer combine sugars, cocoa, salt and whole milk. Mix until sugar dissolves.
- Now add your heavy cream and vanilla. Mix again.
- Cover and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Transfer liquid to a frozen ice cream maker bowl.
- Turn on and mix for 15 minutes.
- Add turtles. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- You can either serve immediately or stick in the freezer until ready to eat. Just remember to take it out about 10 minutes before you wish to serve it.
- Serve with a smile.
Thanks for visiting today!