This Walker Blood Sangria is perfect for your next TWD viewing party, or to serve on Halloween!
To tell the truth, I'm totally in love with this walker blood sangria!
Just because the world is ending and there are walkers everywhere doesn't mean you can't entertain in style. Am I right?
Lock the doors, turn out the lights and sip this fun sangria. A little wine, a little pomegranate juice and you've got a party!
Honestly, I've been watching old episodes like crazy. One of the perks of working from home is I can actually have the TV playing in the background while I work.
I'm on season two, yet again. The one where Rick and Shane fight.
Wait? They fight in every episode, don't they?
Okay, let's clarify. It's the one where they get in a fight, again, over whether to leave Randall at the school. I think this is the episode where I realized how much foreshadowing goes on in the show.
The scene where Shane sees himself in the window gets me every time. You know what's coming down the road. Which worries me for future episodes.
Everyone knows my favourite character is Daryl. There's something about the redneck with a heart of gold that just sucks you right into the story.
Seriously, I did not expect to get this hooked on a TV show. Honestly, I blame Daryl.
If you're going to have a cocktail, you're going to share it with Daryl. I know I would. And did. Or least I did in my head.
One day maybe I'll share a walker blood sangria with him for real. A girl has to dream.
- Wine - I used Merlot for this recipe. You can, in fact, use any red wine. Just look for something that has s a rich, vibrant colour, as well as great flavour.
- Juice - Use pomegranate juice for this. Again, try to use a brand that is a vibrant red. Personally, I love POM Wonderful brand.
- Liqueur - For this recipe, I used Cointreau which is an orange liqueur. Any orange liqueur will do.
- Sparkling Water - This just gives it a nice bubbly effect. You could substitute any clear soda instead if you prefer. 7-Up or Sprite would also work.
- Ice - Add ice right before serving so you don't water down the drink. If serving in shot glasses omit the ice. If you want to get really creative you could use skeleton shaped molds or freeze pomegranate juice instead of water.
- Pomegranate Arils - These are optional, use them if serving this in a pitcher. It just looks nice. But obviously be careful so no one chokes on an aril and becomes a zombie.
- Oranges - Again, these are purely decorative if serving in a pitcher. Slice them thinly and toss them in with the ice and arils.
How to Make Walker Blood Sangria:
Just to clarify, I like to let mine sit in the fridge overnight after I make it. That said, if you are in a rush then give it at least 15 minutes. Honestly, a couple of hours is the preferred amount of time so the flavours have time to meld.
- First, pour the wine into a pitcher then add the pomegranate juice and Cointreau. Give it a stir.
- Next, chill the sangria in the refrigerator to let the flavours meld overnight, if possible. Again, you can rush it but the sweet spot is actually 2 to 4 hours so the flavour really develops nicely.
- Then, remove from the fridge and add the sparkling water and ice as well. Stir well so everything mixes nicely.
- Lastly, serve for your TWD party or as a halloween sangria! You can serve it in shot glasses, a punch bowl or a pitcher.
- Now, if you're serving this drink for a holiday I suggest adding pomegranate arils and sliced oranges for added decoration.
How to Decorate Rims:
- Option 1: Pour some water, lemon juice, lime juice, corn syrup or honey into a wide mouth bowl. Then, dump some coloured sugar on a small plate. Dunk the shot glass rims in the liquid, then quickly dunk it in the sugar and spin it so it coats the rim evenly.
- Option 2: Use a sponge, popsicle stick or toothpick to apply corn syrup or honey to the shot glass rims. Pour sugar onto another small plate and dunk the shot glass rims into the sugar, spinning them so the sugar coats the rim evenly.
Walker Blood Sangria Disclaimer:
- First of all, this event is a fun theme week hosted by myself and a friend.
- Secondly, it’s not sponsored or endorsed by TWD.
- Although if they see this feel free to “call us”.
Swing by my other Dead Eats Posts:
- How to Throw a Killer Walking Dead Party
- Carol’s Cookies
- Chocolate Weapons Bark
- Cinnamon Pecans
- Bloody Guts Dip
- Toilet Water Drink
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Instagram ~ YouTube ~ Kiss My Smoke
Walker Blood Sangria
- 750 ml red wine I used Merlot
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup Cointreau or any orange liqueur
- 2 cups sparkling water
- 2 cups ice if desired
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 oranges sliced
Remember to allow your Sangria to rest for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight, before serving!
- Pour the Merlot in a pitcher, add the pomegranate juice and the Cointreau, stir well.
- Put the mixture in the fridge for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Remove the mixture from the fridge and add the sparkling water. Stir well. Add ice if desired.
- If serving for a holiday that isn't Halloween or Walking Dead related I would add some pomegranate arils and sliced oranges for garnish.
- Serve with a big old Sangria loving smile!
Thanks for visiting today!
If you’re looking for more Halloween recipes be sure to check out my recipe index. You can also find a lot more drink recipes as well.
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest while you’re here. I love pinning great recipes! Also, make sure you follow me on Instagram. It’s a great way to stay up to date with the blog.
Kat (The Baking Explorer)
They look seriously spooky! I love Daryl too!
Ooh great looking cocktail! Pinned! Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! Hope to see ya next week!
Sandra L Garth
I'm probably the only person on the planet that doesn't watch TWD. However, I could down a couple of these in no time flat. Maybe 3.
I'm so glad to meet a fellow WD fan! Our theme this year is Terminus, so our decorations are a bit gory. I bet you could pass the WD quizzes I made with ease since you've watched the series 15 times:-) Anyway, wanted to let you know that your drink is my feature pick for this week's Merry Monday link party.
I'm currently on round 26. Clearly, I have a problem. I'll swing by this week to check it out. I have Terminus Ribs to share soon. And I made Dwight's Sandwich. Ha! Just need to find time to post the recipes. I'm seriously obsessed. Hoping to go to ComicCon one day to meet the cast and embarrass myself fully!
This recipe sounds so good - I love any kind of sangria! Thanks for sharing with Merry Monday!
Wow! Very creative! I will definitely try.
Gorgeous looking cocktail! It sounds so delicious too. Can’t wait to try these, everyone will love them.
Thanks so much. Hope you enjoy them!!
Lock the doors, turn out the lights and sip this Walker Blood Sangria.
How fun that looks! I love the sugared rims. I would love them with orange slices too. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much.
hank you for sharing this amazing idea, really appreciates your post.
Gorgeous looking cocktail! and It is nice info to share with my friends. Definitely, It is a better choice before breakfast.
This is such a fun and creative idea. I adore your sense of humor and photos too!
Thank you so much.
Will this keep in the fridge for a few days? (Minus the soda) It’s going to be the main punch for my Halloween party this year. Making it this weekend for a test run!
Yes, absolutely. Let me know what you think of it when you make it.