The Best Brownies In the WORLD!!!

Ooey, gooey, fudgy brownies that will become a family favourite. I rarely make any other brownie recipe because we love this one so much!

The Best Brownies in the World | These are our absolute favourite brownies in the world. We make them time and time again!

Hey folks. Yes I know, I know, this is quite a claim. But seriously they are and that is in fact their name. So who am I to argue.

A friend sent me this link about a year ago I think. She had found a recipe for the best brownies in the world. Well that got my attention for sure. So of course when someone makes a claim like that you just have to investigate further. If for no other reason than to prove them wrong. I mean who dares to say they make the best brownies in the whole world. So I did in fact investigate. And they are in fact the best brownies in the world. If you like fudgey brownies. If you like cakey brownies then your hunt continues. Run off now you cake brownie loving folks. No need to read further. This is for fellow chewy, ooey, gooey, messy brownies lovers. If you are in fact a chewy, ooey, gooey, messy brownies lover…well, you’ve come to the right place. Pull up a chair and hold on tight to it cuz I’m about to blow the roof off the joint. Y’all ready for this?

Oh small disclaimer, these are not my brownies. Well I did in fact make them. But the recipe is not mine. I am not a genius. That distinguished honour goes to Alta from Tasty Eats At Home. If you have not been to Alta’s blog you should go, run there now. Or look at the brownies first then run there. I have tried to adapt these to no avail. I attempted to make them better but I honestly don’t think it’s possible. So at some point during your reading of this post go visit Alta’s blog, you need to stop by and check out her brownie recipe. Say hello, look around, enjoy her blog. Alta has made the transition to gluten-free recipes as of 2009, so I know a lot of you will just love her blog. She knows her stuff.

So now on to the recipe.

Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!

Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | G+ | Kiss My Smoke

The Best Brownies In the WORLD!!!

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: One 8 x 8 pan of Brownies

Serving Size: Depends how hungry you are!

The Best Brownies In the WORLD!!!

• 8 tablespoons of butter
  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs. beaten
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla salt (you can use regular salt for this)

• Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  • Line your pan with parchment paper. I find wetting it gets it more pliable.
  • Melt the butter and unsweetened chocolate together over low heat in a medium saucepan. Stir with a wooden spoon.
  • Remove from heat and add the sugar. Stir well.
  • Now add your eggs and vanilla, stirring until it’s smooth.
  • Add chocolate chips, flour and vanilla salt. Stir until well blended.
  • Pour into pan and place in oven. I always tap my pan to get out any bubbles and make it even.
  • Bake for 35-45 minutes, toothpick inserted should come out clean when done.
  • Remove and cool on a rack.
  • Serve with a smile.

Recipe Source: Tasty Eats at Home The Best Brownies in the World

A huge thank you to Alta for this recipe. This has become our go to brownie recipe over the years. I have yet to find one our family likes better than this one. And we try a lot of brownies in the name of research. xx

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

You can use my recipe for vanilla salt. You can substitute regular salt. But the vanilla one has so much more flavour so I prefer it. It’s easy to make. You should give it a try. You’ll thank me once you realize how good it is, and how easy it is to make.

Check back soon for some muffin recipes. I have two, yes, two muffin recipes for you tomorrow. I’ll make them Muffin Mondays. One is a straight forward muffin, classic as can be. The other is a Kim original, or at least I think it is. I can’t imagine anyone else has tried this combo but that could just be my ego talking<<< head as big as Mount Rushmore!

Note: Photos updated on March 4, 2014

Comments

Kim those look fantastic, I love this recipe..and your presentation is wonderful too! I have to make these soon!!!!

I love the way your pictures turned out and the recipe sounds really good.

Elizabeth Treusdell Brunetti says:

Wow, these DO look good! And the recipe is so simple!

@ Sandra- Thanks. I was so worried about posting the name of them. Thought people would come on and slam me for it. lol! I had some fun today with my camera. Too much fun, almost late for the movie. Let me know if you try them. We love them here.

@ the other Sandra(lol)- Thank you so much.

@ Elizabeth- Thanks. So easy and quick. The hardest part is not ripping into them while they're still hot. I have to admit we've done that a few times.

Ohhh who doesn't like brownies?? I love them and these do look amazing! I'll have to try them soon… I can't resist chocolate!!!

Anne@frommysweetheart says:

Kim! These look awesome! I am definitely an ooey, gooey, chewy, fudgy, messy girl! Tho cakelike is ok when you are in the mood for cakelike. And I am sooooo looking forward to your muffins! That is my one weak area in all of baking! : )

Good heavens, these look so good I think I might die. Have. To. Make. These. Now!!! Thanks for sharing such a fabulous recipe, Kim! :)

p.s. Would it be ok with you if I link folks to your site too??

These look so divine!! I LOVE brownies!

Kim, these look fabulous! With such a simple list of ingredients, I have no doubt these are the best brownies in the world. Great photos too :)

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny says:

What a great brownie recipe! These look delicious, lovely photos!! :)

YUM!! I love the ooey, gooey description you gave. They look amazing! Lots of fudgy brownie love over here! :)

Torviewtoronto says:

this brownie looks wonderful lovely picture

If you are in fact a chewy, ooey, gooey, messy brownies lover…well you've come to the right place. I am but in vein you probably ate them all;)

the Gardener says:

Oh heck yes. Fudgy brownies are where it's at! These look wonderful!

janet@cupcakestocaviar says:

These look so good!!! So chewy and chocolaty! I love the chewy ones so much more than the cakey ones; those are usually dry. Gotta make these!! BUZZED!

Emily @ Life on Food says:

I have a sudden urge to have a big brownie with milk. They look fantastic. I think I will have to "prove them wrong" too.

Love brownies – they are just such the perfect dessert! I am all for trying a new recipe! Can't wait to make this one!

Oh – Kim….these look fabulous! I know you've been having camera "envy" but your pictures are lovely! Buzzed this one, girlfriend!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You made Food Buzz's Top 9! I am SO excited for you….these were fabulous and I just KNEW they were going to make it! WooHoo!!!

Congrats on top 9 Kim!!! You made it and on first spot..awesome!

OMG LADIES! I had no idea I was even on until I read Ann's comment. I started jumping up and down like a lunatic.lol

@Manu- Thanks so much. You must try them. So good. I think this is the first time we allowed them time to cool and that's only as I needed to take pics. lol

@Anne-Ah, another ooey gooey chewy lover. Glad I am not the only one. Hope you like the muffins I posted as well.

@Carol- Run into that kitchen girl and whip this up. You will not regret it. And yes you may, I am okay with new readers for sure!! Thanks for that.

@Erika- Thanks!

@Alida- Thank you so much.

@Kelly- Thanks, I may be doing up some of your healthy recipes to help offset the calories of these. lol

@Lacy- Thanks, they are just the best. You must try them.

Torviewtoronto- Thanks so much.

@Dzoli- I lol'd at your comment. And sadly it is so true. I may have tackled mini-me for the last one. She's young, she'll bounce back. lol

@the Gardener- You read my mind. Thanks so much.

@Janet- Thanks so much. And thanks for the buzz.

@Emily- You must prove them wrong, and when you realize you can't the blow is cushioned by tasty brownies. It's win-win. lol

@Erin- Hope you try them. I love trying new stuff. I very seldom make the same thing twice, but these I make an exception for.

@Ann- Thanks chickie. I am so over the moon about hitting top 9. I was floored enough by all the comments and views but getting on there just made me lose my mind.lol

@Sandra- Thanks. I cannot believe I made it. First time on there. All my photo ocd has finally paid off. rofl! I honestly never thought I'd get on. I'm ecstatic.

Kim – I have to post again! I've kept my gmail up hoping you were on…I'm SO excited for you! These were awesome and I just KNEW they were the ones!

@Ann- Lol, I am so excited. Just posted it on my fb I was so stoked about it. I am so happy and thanks for the encouragement.

The brownies looks so fantastic! Congrats on Top 9 :)

Congrats on the Top 9 :) your brownies look beautiful and yummy!!!

Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Congrats on Top 9! Yummy brownies! Buzzed!

@kankana- Thanks so much. First time for me.

@Firefly- Thank you. Pretty happy.

@Nami- Thanks my dear. I am so floored. Never thought I'd make it. lol

Asian-spice mix says:

Congrat on top 9,the brownies look delish :)

Curry and Comfort says:

YUM! I love brownies. They are one of my dessert weaknesses! These look fantastic. Congrats on making Top 9 at foodbuzz!! : )

Congrats on the Top 9! And with brownies like these, it's no surprise =)

I am always game to try another brownie recipe…especially one that looks so perfectly fudgy! YUM! Congrats on your Top 9 today…you truly deserve it~

What a coincidence! I have quite a few "world's best…" recipes on my blog, as well. I will definitely try making these brownies and might spread the word. They already look like they deserve the title. so moist, dark and rich…

kitchenarian says:

Congratulations on Top 9! I will definitely be trying these – I want to taste the best brownies in the world!

Season with Reason says:

Best in the world huh? That's quite a claim – this brownie lover is going to have to put your recipe to the test :) Photos look delicious.

This is almost the exact same recipe that was in my Better Homes and Gardens Junior Cookbook when I was little–I don't know how many times I made these! I need to make them again.

tastyeatsathome says:

So glad you love this recipe. I've tried to tweak it many a times, and honestly, this version right here IS the best. :) Now I'm hungry for a brownie for breakfast. Darn it!

No. 1 in the Top 9, congrats!!! And they do look marvelous!

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com says:

So chocolaty and delicious! YUM! Congrats on the Top 9!

cyndeehule says:

yumm! I might try this out today :)

Can't beat a brownie!

Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) says:

CONGRATS KIM!!! these are gorgeous :)

Hester Casey @ Alchemy in the Kitchen says:

Congrats on Top 9 – I am going to have to make these best brownies in the world, Kim. I love the fudgy variety.

Christina of Form V Artisan says:

Hey you're from Essex! I'm originally from Windsor but living in Toronto now. Pleasure to meet you and your brownies….

@Asian-spice mix- Thanks so much!

@Curry and Comfort- Me too and thanks.

@Peggy- Thank you!

@Lizzy- Thank you so much for your sweet words.xx

@Julia- Lol, seems to lots of world's bests out there. I love it. Makes me giggle. You must test them out. I tried them a year ago and have never looked back.

@kitchenarian- I hope you test them out. We love them. I think this might be the first time they made it long enough to cool and cut. I had to threaten the whole family to protect them for the picture. lol

@Season with Reason- Lol, you have to try these out. They will not disappoint.

@Susan- I believe the original they were adapted from is Katherine Hepburn's recipe. So they are quite popular, were featured in a magazine I believe quite some time ago.

@TASTY EATS AT HOME- I AM SO HAPPY YOU CAME BY TO CHECK OUT ME DOING YOUR RECIPE. I HONESTLY HAVE TRIED TO TWEAK IT AND IT CANNOT BE MADE BETTER. BOWS IN HONOUR! EVEN DOES A FANCY CURTSY! Have you converted them to gluten free at all? I have lots of friends who are gluten free I can send you way! Much love and gratitude for being the inspiration behind the top 9 success. xx

@Lin Ann- Thanks, I've dropped to 3, should I worry? lol

@Cheryl and Adam- So good. Thanks so much.

@cyndeehule- I hope you test them and report back. I love them. They never last more than half a day here.

@Alyce- Best chocolate treat in the world.

@Becka- Thank you!

@Hester- Thanks my dear. Let me know what you think when you try them.

@Christina- Yeppers, small town Ontario. Where everyone knows your name and your story. Lol! I am in Windsor at least 2 or 3 times a week it seems. I read your blog and am mesmerized by your work. I will be visiting often. Nice to meet you too, you food scientist you! I want your job, it's the coolest thing in the world.

Pecan Pie says:

The pictures look amazing. Thanks for the link to the vanilla salt recipe. I was going to ask if it was something that could be picked up at any supermarket. The brownies seems like the perfect recipe for my 6 year old nephew and I to undertake this weekend. ~ thanks, tom

@Pecan Pie- you could use plain old salt. I just made that vanilla salt so I like to use it whenever I can. Let me know know how they turn out.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers says:

When I first saw the picture over on Foodbuzz I really thought they were brownies with cheese…I was intrigued! They sound delicious though :)

The Culinary Lens says:

Fantastic brownies and I love your presentaion.

Cassie @ Bake Your Day says:

COngrats on your top 9 today, yay!! Your brownies look delicious. They are my husband's favorite so I love seeing new variations!

Dee at Deelicious Sweets says:

You have that voice in your head too! I totally hear that when I read your ICE CREAM SUNDAY'S! Congrats on Top 9!!!!!!! Can I get a WOOT WOOT!

@Heather- Rofl, I should have used pink napkins. Too funny.

@The Culinary Lens- Thanks so much.

@Cassie- Thank you. My daughter's fave too, she goes gaga over them.

@Dee- Glad to know I am not the only one who hears it. Thanks. And woot woot. So happy.

aworldwithoutfood says:

I haven't had a brownie in sooo long! and i absolutely love them..as soon as i can i will try this recipe..

Blomma (prononcer Blouma, "fleur" en suédois) says:

If they are the best, I have to try that recipe! Thanks for sharing! Bonne journée!

love this brownies! im voting you in deelicious sweets!

TheChocolatePriestess says:

Are these brownies as huge as I think they are? Sitting on a paper napkin? WOW!

Julia @ DimpleArts says:

Awesome Brownies! Dessert Blog Hopped here:)

@Blomma- I adore these ones. And I've tried a ton.

@juliana- Thank you!

@TheChocolatePriestess-Pretty huge, yah, I have issues. Lol! Yup, paper napkin. Thanks!

@Julia- Thanks so much.

As others have said, the presentation is exceptional! I love brownies and have my own favorite recipe, but this one has chocolate chips, which of course, can make all the difference! Yum!

@Ang- Thanks. Brownies are just so good. It's my go to comfort dessert.

At first glance, I thought it was CHEESE inbetween the brownies. Hahahaha After closer investigation, I realize it's yellow paper. Boy do I feel like a dumby.

Food Wanderer says:

Hi, Kim! just stopping by your wonderful blog :) These look amazing! rich-check, fudgy-check, gooey-check, chewy-check,extra chocolate chips-check! What more can you ask for? These are the perfect brownies & look absolutely deelish!(^-^)

Sue Goldian says:

They look terrific. Only problem is that here (Israel) there is NO unsweetened baking chocolate. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. When I first got here 43 years ago there weren't any chocolate chips and we had to chop our chocolate with a knife. Soooo, I'm used to adapting American or Canadian recipes that call for unsweetened chocolate by using semisweet and reducing the amount of sugar (which I usually do anyway for most recipes). So how much sugar would you suggest I use, assuming I'm using really good quality semisweet chocolate?

@ConCon- Lol, you are not the first to have made that mistake. I should have used another colour.

@Food Wanderer- Thanks so much. These are just so good I can barely stand it.

@Sue Goldian- Ah you pose an interesting question here. I personally tried to adapt these once and it went horribly awry. So I am terrified of messing with the amounts. If it was me switching out I would try one of two things:
    1- don't adjust the sugar as the recipe is only two ounces of unsweetened so it should not make a huge difference taste wise. As brownies are better sweet anyway in my opinion.
    2- again I like sweet so bear that in mind. I would try adjusting down by 1/4 cup. If it was four or six ounces of chocolate I'd guess it at 1/2 cup. But for just two ounces I would think cutting down by 1/4 is good.
    Please let me know how they turn out. I swear I have tried a zillion brownie recipes and to date this is my fave. It's just so fudgey and gooey. I think we've only let one batch cool to date. And only as it was being used for something I had to cut it into squares for. I hope this helped. I am by far not a science oriented baker so hope I am not leading you down the garden path here. xx

Brownies are my absolute favourite thing to eat, however, I have yet to find a homemade recipe I like better than a particular “boxed” mix, and I HATE boxed anything! I am so desperate for a homemade recipe I try every one I come across that promises to be “the own”. So of course, I had to try these this morning. They are not what I was looking for. :( Mine turned out very hard to take out of the pan as there was really no texture to them. perhaps more flour is needed? and they were not the rich dark chocolate colour even though I used the dark chocolate as well as semi dark for the chips. I can see why the parchment paper is required – at least for the ones I made. Thanks for the recipe but I’m still on the hunt. :(

• 66
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I just saw this Lorrie. Your comment got stuck in the wrong spot.

My thought is yours were off because you used dark chocolate, the texture is different and it cooks differently. So that might be the issue.

I use parchment for all my baking because you can lift the bar/brownies/whatnot out of the pan without worrying about anything sticking. I actually use it for cooking too, makes cleanup a snap. But it should have no affect on the cooking. It’s just there to make stuff lift out really well, works great for sweet breads too.

These should be the colour in the photo, I don’t own photoshop so what you see is what I make. They should be a mid-level brown colour, a bit darker than milk, but not dark like dark or bitter chocolate.

I am so bummed you didn’t like them. Most people love these brownies. I’ve made them myself at least 50 times and loved them every single time. I rarely make any other brownie now. I like ooey, gooey, fudgy brownies so these are our favourite. Maybe you would prefer a more cake like brownie if you’re looking for more texture? It’s such a subjective thing. Some folks like cake type, some like fudgy, some like icing, some don’t. You can easily adapt this to make it more what you like. Happy to help if you like. xx

WHOA. good call on the updated pics….my mouth is wateringggg

christina says:

Has anyone tried making these with coconut oil instead of butter?

• 69
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I have. It’s pretty good. I like the half and half approach, 1/2 butter and 1/2 coconut oil. That way you get the best of both worlds. I found them a bit more chewy with full coconut oil, but that’s not such a bad thing with brownies.

Mmm, they look perfect, and with only 1/4 c flour, I bet I could easily convert it to make them gluten free and still fabulous!

Mae these tonight and everyone loved the brownies. We couldn’t wait for them to cool down! Daughter said they are the best brownies ever! Thanks for posting our new brownie recipe.

• 72
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Yeah! I’m so happy to hear that. We have loved these for years. I swear my kids won’t let me make any other recipe. It’s our go to recipe for brownies. We make two batches at once, that way we can eat one pan hot and one cooled. Not good for the waistline at all. xx

These are sinfully delicious.

I have to get my Cravings fix on the w/end since I can’t connect to your site from work…not a bad thing b/c I’d be drooling onto my keyboard!
    I got sidetracked and found this recipe today.
    LOVE the first pic -very clever, Kimmy.
    And vanilla salt is new to me. Can’t wait to see what that’s about,
    The crinkly sheet that forms on top of brownies is like magic. It’s my fav part!

I absolutely adore brownies. I will try making these, and let you know how they compare with the best brownies I’ve ever had: the dark Choc sea salt caramel pecan brownies from Paul A. Young of London.

These look fantastic! Do you know if the recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13 dish?

• 77
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I usually bake double batches in two 8 inch dishes because we like the edges. I would think it would work beautifully, most brownie recipes do well in a 9 x 13. The middle might be gooey but that’s sort of what these brownies are all about. They are super fudgy.

Now I want to try it. Ha. Brownies may be on the menu for Easter.

Heather says:

Just made these and took them camping. DELISH. Hard to find a good brownie recipe that is not too cakey and has the chewy crinkled top texture of a box brownie but oh so much better (and without all the unknown ingredients). These were perfect. My hubby the ultimate critic loved and my 4 and 6 yr old boys had them plain the first night in S’mores the second.

When you say 2 oz of unsweetened chocolate, does that mean the little squares of chocolate or 2 oz of the powdered cocoa? Thanks!

I just made these.. and in all seriousness, these most certainly are the BEST brownies in the world!

• 84
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Yeah, I am so thrilled to hear that Kelly. I just love this recipe. I rarely make any other brownie because none compare. So thrilled you liked them. Thanks for taking the time to swing by to let me know. I appreciate it. xx

Hi,
    The brownies look divine! will definitely try.
    Just a quick question, how do you get the cracked crispy surface look. I can never get that right.

• 86
      Kim Beaulieu says:

This recipe seems to get that top every time I make it. Not sure if it’s luck or this recipe. When I mix I try not to over-mix the flour addition. But if you read up it’s suppose to have to do with the eggs. Beat the batter a little longer than you think is necessary after adding the eggs, it forms a meringue on top of the brownies. Here’s a great, quick read on the subject if you want to learn more. But definitely try this recipe. For me it does it every time. I’m also a big believer in not quite mixing the flour too much.
      Read The Kitchn article here, that’s a great site if you like knowing the science behind things- http://www.thekitchn.com/how-do-i-make-brownies-with-shiny-tops-180270

Great recipe! I love brownies and am always looking for a great recipe! Especially one that I can add things to and make it crazy! Thanks for sharing!

Kim Beaulieu says:

It could be any number of things affecting them. The quality of the cocoa, whether any ingredients were stale, whether your oven temperature is bang on, there’s so many things that can affect the outcome of a recipe. I’ve made these about 50 or 60 times over the years and I’ve only had them fail once. I used poor quality chocolate so it just separated oddly. It happens. The colour should not be an issue, it should not affect taste. They do bubble in the oven, that’s pretty normal when things bake. Let me know how they look when they come out of the oven. I’m happy to help trouble shoot any recipe, any time.

1. […] a ton of brownie recipes on here. I mean I feel like I found the perfect one when I happened on The Best Brownies In The World. So they are really the only ones I ever make. So this weekend I thought I would expand my brownie […]

2. […] can do each thing from scratch or cheat. I made my own brownies using a recipe on my blog called The Best Brownies in the World. Then for the mousse I used Dr. Oetker but instead of normal milk I made it with chocolate milk for […]

3. […] brownies if you like. I jumped at the chance to make some. In fact, I made a couple of batches of The Best Brownies In The World. One to use for this, and not going to lie, one to just munch on for no good reason. If you have […]

4. […] you’re looking for a brownie recipe you should totally check out my Best Brownies in the World. They are amazing. <shameless […]

5. […] made my own brownies which are aptly titled The Best Brownies in the World. Seriously, they really are the best brownies I’ve ever had. I also made my own fudge. The […]

6. […] recipe is a twist on my Best Brownies in the World. I love to play with that recipe. It’s our all time favourite brownie recipe. A friend of […]

7. […] and preparation. Based on that, I decided to go with one posted on Cravings of a Lunatic, entitled, “The Best Brownies in the WORLD!!!” I was ready and willing to prove whether this claim was, in fact, […]

8. […] Recipe is adapted from Cravings Of A Lunatic. […]

9. […] sharing a super easy Samoa No Bake Cheesecake Parfait. The first layer is brownies, you can make your own brownies or buy them, whatever works for you. Then I drizzled caramel over top. I piped in some chocolate […]

10. […] sharing a super easy Samoa No Bake Cheesecake Parfait. The first layer is brownies, you can make your own brownies or buy them, whatever works for you. Then I drizzled caramel over top. I piped in some chocolate […]