Incredibly easy to make chocolate shortbread, covered in chocolate glaze, then sprinkled with pistachios. You will be pleasantly surprised how easy this one is.
Welcome to Day Two of Christmas Week. This event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We hope to inspire you to break out those holiday sprinkles and get your bake on!
I love easy recipes. I mean absolutely full on love them. So any time I find an easy one I feel like I want to shout from the rooftops.
But I won’t.
Because apparently that pisses off the neighbours. Or so I’ve been told by the police.
I will scream it here though. No one can arrest me for screaming on a virtual roof. Or maybe they can. Is there such thing as virtual jail?
Man, I hope not.
Make this recipe. Gobble this whole recipe up to hide all the evidence. That way it’s your word against the neighbours.
Or save a few to bribe the officers. That works like a charm. Not that I’ve ever done that or anything.
Now go scurry off and make these. Right now. But no yelling from the rooftops.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup good quality cocoa powder, preferably dutch-processed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9½ inch pan with removable bottom, then sprinkle it with flour. Set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium size bowl. Beat with an electric mixer, starting on low at first then gradually increase the speed to medium, mixing until just combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Mix briefly.
- Add the flour and mix the ingredients on low speed.Mix until the dough clumps, takes about 1 minute or so. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Mix briefly.
- Transfer mixture into the pan, press gently into the bottom. No need to go up the sides, just cover the bottom evenly.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack, and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes. You want the top of the shortbread to lose it's wet appearance, and the dough to slightly pull away from the sides of the pan a little bit. That lets you know it's done.
- Remove from oven. Set aside.
- Use a double boiler for the glaze. You want to fill a small saucepan with water about 2 to 3 inches up the sides. Place over medium heat, allow to warm up, lower to a medium-low heat and place a heat proof glass bowl over top of the pan, ensuring the bottom of the glass bowl does not touch the top of the water.
- Place the butter and chocolate in the bowl and allow to melt. Whisk occasionally, until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the warm glaze over top of the shortbread, then spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Toss the pistachios over top.
- Allow the glaze to set up by setting aside until it cools.
- Now remove the shortbread from the pan and cut into wedges. You can make them large or small, your choice.
- Serve this at room temperature.
- Serve with a big old chocolate loving smile!
Thanks to our sponsors for Christmas Week. Anolon is donating a 5-piece Bakeware Set. Swing by their Facebook Page to show them some love. We also have Ball supplying us with 4 sets of Jars in their gorgeous Green Heritage Color. Swing by their Ball Canning and Recipes Facebook Page to say hello.
Swing by all the participants to see what they’ve been whipping up for the holidays:
- Turtle Hot Chocolate by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Raspberry Rum Tart by Cookistry
- Chocolate Saltine Toffee (aka Christmas Crack) by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Pecan Brownie Bites by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Peppermint Brownie Cookies by Mind Over Batter
- Bourbon Brownies by Cooking In Stilettos
Giveaway Prizes include:
- One 5 piece set of Anolon Bakeware Set
- Two Sets of Ball Heritage Collection Quart Jars (each set includes 6 jars)
- Two Sets of Ball Heritage Collection Pint Jars (each set includes 6 jars)
- One Set of 1 Dozen Assorted Cookie Sampler Box from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen Bake Shop
- Two Sets of Brownie Brittle Snack Sampler (each set includes One 5-ounce bag of each flavour)
- Plus 1 Copy of each of these cookbooks:
- One Autographed Copy of Make Ahead Bread by Donna Currie
- One Copy of The Mixer Bible by Meredith Deeds
- One Copy of 175 Best Babycakes Cake Pop Recipes by Kathy Moore and Roxanne Wyss
- One Copy of 175 Best Mini Pie Recipes by Julie-Anne Hession
- One Copy of The 250 Best Brownies, Bars & Squares by Ester Brody
- One Copy of Oatrageous Oatmeals by Kathy Hester
- One Copy of Adventures in Comfort Food by Kerry Alteiro
- One Copy of Food Truck Road Trip by Kim Pham
- One Copy of Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking by Cara Reed
- One Copy of 100 Juices, Smoothies and Healthy Snacks by Emily von Euw
- One Copy of CopyKat coms Dining Out at Home Cookbook Recipes by Stephanie Manley
- One Copy of Copykat.com’s Dining Out At Home Cookbook 2 by Stephanie Manley
Be sure to enter the giveaway below. Open to U.S. residents only. Good luck everyone.
Looking for more easy Holiday Recipes? Check these out:
Toodles and smoochies! xx