These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are incredibly soft and chewy plus they are super easy to make. Whip up a batch today!
Oatmeal cookies are a personal favourite of mine, even more so if they are loaded with chocolate chips. The combination is delightfully delicious!
Honestly, I’ve been making oatmeal cookies like crazy lately. I made 4 different kinds in one day. It’s a total obsession.
It can be hard to find a really good soft and chewy oatmeal cookie recipe. I experimented with tons of different ingredient combinations.
One batch was super thin but tasted great. They just do not photograph well, if I’m being honest. I’ll have to make them again on a sunnier day.
I’ve used my Mom’s recipe often but wanted to try something new so I headed over to my friend Liz’s blog. She blogs at That Skinny Chick Can Bake.
Liz is an expert baker so any time I want a tried and true recipe I head over to her blog to see what she recommends in her tip section.
Not only does she have TONS of cookie recipes on her blog but she also has a killer recipe for Hot Chocolate Cookies. My daughter and I are obsessed with them.
Now, go forth and make these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies RIGHT NOW!
- Butter – I used salted butter but unsalted butter also works.
- Sugar – This recipe uses both white granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Eggs – Use large eggs, preferably at room temperature.
- Extract – I used vanilla extract in these cookies but rum extract would rock in these too!
- Flour – This recipe uses all purpose flour. Use whatever brand you love. We have kick ass flour in Canada.
- Baking Soda – Do not skip this ingredient. It’s important to the texture and consistency.
- Salt – This can be omitted for anyone watching sodium intake.
- Oats – Use old fashioned oats for these cookies.
- Chocolate Chips – Either semi sweet or milk chocolate are my recommendation. Dark would work too.
How to Make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Then, line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Next, cream the butter and both sugars together in a bowl until creamy.
- Then, add the eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl. Mix well.
- Next, add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix again.
- Add the oats next and mix until combined well.
- Then, fold in the chocolate chips carefully so they don’t break.
- Next, use a tablespoon or cookie scoop to drop the dough onto the cookie sheets.
- Place the cookies in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Then, remove the cookies from the oven. Allow them to cool for a couple of minutes then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Allow them to cool completely.
- You can store them once they are cooled.
- Lastly, serve them, preferably with a tall glass of milk.
How to store:
- First, make sure you allow the cookies to cool completely before storing them.
- Store the cookies in an air tight container at room temperature. You can use waxed paper or parchment paper to separate the layers of cookies.
- I do not mix recommend storing different kinds of cookies together. Honestly, they tend to take on the flavour of the other cookies if you store them in one container.
- Cookies can be stored at room temperature for about a week.
- They can also be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Tips for freezing:
- Honestly, I prefer using a freezer bag. Just be sure to remove all the excess air out before sealing the bag.
- If you are using a container be sure to use waxed paper or parchment paper between the layers.
- Put a layer of waxed paper over top of the final layer then make sure you lid is snapped on super tight.
- Use a marker to add the date to the freezer bag or container.
- Cookies can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months if stored properly.
More Cookie Recipes:
- Double Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Chocolate and Hazelnut Skillet Cookie
- Momzie’s Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Cookies
- Black Forest Sandwich Cookies
- Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Sandwich Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and both sugars together. You want the mixture to be creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt, mix until well combined.
- Next, add the oats and mix until incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix carefully so you don't break up the chips. Do not use a stand mixer or hand mixer for this step.
- Use a tablespoon or cookie scoop to drop dough onto the lined baking sheets.
- Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before storing.
- Serve with a big old glass of milk!
Thanks for visiting today!
After that, please take a minute to follow me on Pinterest. I’m always pinning great recipes as well as fun DIY projects.
Lastly, be sure to follow me on Instagram. It’s actually a great way to stay up to date on all the latest and greatest blog recipes.