These easy Monster Cookies are packed with peanut butter, oats, chocolate chips and M&M’s so every bite is a flavour explosion!
We love Monster Cookies in our household. They are so fun to make.
Not only do they taste amazing but the colour just pops. People love colourful cookies, especially ones that are packed with chocolate!
I used my Mom’s peanut butter cookie recipe as the base for these cookies. You can find Momzie’s Peanut Butter Cookies on my blog.
What I love about these cookies is you can add extra stuff to them easily without compromising or ruining the recipe. It’s pretty forgiving for first time bakers.
Monster cookies are basically a cross between peanut butter cookies and oatmeal cookies, but with added chocolate and candy. Not going to lie, I love cookies that are stuffed with extra goodness.
I can’t recommend these cookies enough. They are perfect for any occasion and everyone raves about them!
- Peanut Butter – I used smooth peanut butter for this recipe. I love Kraft peanut butter for baking!
- Butter – Either salted or unsalted butter work in this recipe. If you use salted butter then omit the extra salt that gets added later.
- Sugar – This cookie recipe uses both white granulated sugar and light brown sugar.
- Eggs – Use large eggs for this recipe. Be sure they are at room temperature before mixing them in.
- Extract – I used vanilla extract but you could substitute almond extract if you like.
- Oats – Use old fashioned rolled oats for this recipe.
- Flour – I used all purpose flour.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda – My mom always used both baking powder and baking soda in her peanut butter cookies.
- Salt – This acts as a flavour enhancer. Only omit if you are using salted butter or are on a low sodium diet.
- Chocolate Chips – My preference is always milk chocolate chips for cookies.
- M&M’s – I used plain M&M’s but you can use any flavour you like.
How to Make Monster Cookies:
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Then, grab two cookie sheets and line them with parchment paper.
- Use a stand mixer, or bowl and hand mixer, to cream the peanut butter, butter and both sugars together.
- Next, add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix briefly.
- Add the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix again until everything is combined.
- Then, mix in the chocolate chips and 3/4 cup of M’M’s to the bowl but this time you want to mix by hand with a spoon.
- Use a tablespoon or cookie scoop to grab dough and place on the cookie sheet.
- Next, use the palm of your hand to flatten the cookies a little bit.
- Pop the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Then, remove the cookie sheets from the oven and press the remaining M&M’s in the tops of the cookies.
- Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Allow cookies to cool completely.
How to store:
- First, always make sure you allow them to cool completely.
- Store the cookies in an air tight container at room temperature. Be sure to use waxed paper or parchment paper to separate the layers of cookies.
- Do not mix with other types of cookies. They will actually take on the flavour of the other cookies if you store too many types in one container.
- Cookies can be stored at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks. Personally, I think a week is best if you want them to taste fresh.
Tips for freezing:
- I like using a freezer bag. Make sure you remove all the excess air before sealing the bag.
- Again, if you are using a container be sure to use waxed paper or parchment paper between the layers. Put a layer of waxed paper over top of the final layer then make sure you lid is snapped on super tight.
- Use a marker to add the date to the freezer bag or container.
- Lastly, cookies can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months if stored properly.
More Cookie Recipes:
- Double Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Chocolate and Hazelnut Skillet Cookie
- Pink Coconut Cookies
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Cookies
- Black Forest Sandwich Cookies
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Sandwich Cookies
- Shortbread Christmas Mice
- Candy Topped Toffee Squares by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream peanut butter, butter, and sugars together in a stand mixer. Or use a bowl and hand mixer.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the bowl and mix again.
- Next, add the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, combine thoroughly.
- Add the chocolate chips and 3/4 cup of the M&M's to the dough. Mix with a spoon this time so the chocolate stays in whole pieces. Be sure to reserve 1/4 cup of the M&M's to press into the tops of the cookies once they are baked.
- Form heaping tablespoons of dough into balls, place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Now flatten them a little bit.
- Bake in the preheated 350 degrees F oven for 12 - 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and press the rest of the M&M's into the tops of the cookies.
- Use a spatula to slide the cookies onto a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.
- Serve with a big old Monster cookie loving smile!
Thanks for visiting today!
After that, please take a minute to follow me on Pinterest. I’m always pinning great recipes as well as fun DIY projects.
Lastly, be sure to follow me on Instagram. It’s actually a great way to stay up to date on all the latest and greatest blog recipes.